Wrapping soap?

I visited a new "boutique" store and one of the displays was soaps. The shop owner buys wholesale and puts her own private label on. They appeared to be CP and were absolutely gorgeous and smelled divine. The thing that struck me was that the soaps were not wrapped except by a cigar band with the store name on it and the scent. No ingredient list, but it seems I read somewhere that CP is not considered cosmetic, therefore does not require listed ingredients. The product can be touched and handled and who knows what can get transferred to the soap from someones hands. I have seen displays such as this in other shops too. Is it common not to wrap soaps with some sort of protective barrier, or am I being paranoid?

I can't answer the question you asked, but just to add my two cents... While I find that "look" of the cigar band absolutely adorable and love it... Im personally too paranoid to purchase a product that hasn't been wrapped/sealed and has been left open for anything and everything to touch it, contaminate it , etc.

Jackie, that is a good question about retailers not having to label ingredients if they use their own private label. I don't consider myself a germ-a-phobic, but really, I didn't want to touch the soaps, heck I would be adding my own germs! Blacktie, I also think the cigar band is eyecatching, the display was very nice. Nice to know I am not being too persnickety, ha!

Unwrapped stuff really skeeves me out. Have you ever seen how people test sniff products? Some go pretty deep in the nose.

In a store, soaps are magnets for pet hair on clothing, dust, debris, etc. They get dinged and dirty pretty quickly when not protected.

Ditto to those who won't purchase without an ingredient list. Though not required unless making a medical claim, so many people have serious allergies.

I totally agree with ya all. I do like how the bands look but as retailers, I don't feel they are helping out their sales dept. at all. And it is really kinda all logic when ya just watch people picking them all up, sniffing all over them, no ingredients listed any where on it. Just a few improvements and I bet sales would double! Jm2cw!

I see that a lot here to in health food stores. I will not buy an unwrapped soap, someone could stick something in it and just the ick factor. I left a bar of soap in the wash room at the market, someone put a small nail in it, thank god the woman that used it didn't get scratched or poked. I do not leave soap in the wash room any more.

• 2 years later...

I recently met with a prosepective wholesale buyer and the soaps only had the bands and were not shrink wrapped. I use the shrink wrap that is open on the end and then cover with a paper cigar band that lists all the information. The buyer began asking me all sorts of informed questions about the ingredients. She finished by saying, "You have good ingredients" and was satisfied with my answers. Customers never look at the ingredients but will ask about something if they have an allergy. I think the boxes would be the best.