coconut milk

jackie

I had the same problem. The only coconut milk I could find that didn't contain guar gum was Goya. Instead of guar gum it has potassium metabisulphite as a preservative. The chemical has no taste or smell in the coconut milk. However, when I used it in my soap I got a bad chemical reaction that made my soap smell horrible like a chemical hair perm.

So I went back to coconut milk with guar gum. I have been using Go Delicious or Silk unsweetened or regular. No vanilla type. So far the soaps are nice and no chemical smell or discoloration.

If I can find another coconut milk without the guar gum or potassium meabisulphite I will try it. But Silk is pretty darn good in my soap! I hear the Silk Almond Milk is nice in soap too! That's next on my list of milks to try.

Edited by Candybee

I use the I think it's Thai coconut milk. Only time I've had any of milks smell horrible is if I mix them with they lye. I usually freeze my soap then pour the lye over it doesn't that burnt smell then & doesn't turn that dreaded orange color.

I use the I think it's Thai coconut milk. Only time I've had any of milks smell horrible is if I mix them with they lye. I usually freeze my soap then pour the lye over it doesn't that burnt smell then & doesn't turn that dreaded orange color.

That one contains guar gum just like many others. I've used it too with no problems.

Just a bit of advice; you can get the Silk regular or unsweetened for far less than the expensive Thai brand coconut milk. It helps to keep your soap costs down if you are planning to sell. I do use the Thai brand for cooking-- it makes wonderful Thai recipes that call for coconut milk.

I got a can of the Thai. Glad I can use it. It was cheaper than goat's milk. I don't sell. It's just for me, family and gifts for friends. The Silk is soy milk, right? I was wondering how different soaps turn out with the different milks.

Edited by jackie

No, Silk makes coconut and almond milks. You have to get the original recipes without vanill or sugar added to them. These are usually the lowest calories milks and are are great because they have really long shelf lives and give soap a great quality. HTH

Steve

Silk also makes soy milk. I used to buy it couple years back when it was on my diet. They make soy, almond, and coconut milks. I don't mind using the regular coconut milk with sugar cause sugar helps with lather.

Edited by Candybee