This candle frightens me a bit...

Can you suspend sugar (fire, fire! hot, hot!) in gel candles? I've never tried them. I know the non-pareils (sprinkles) work in soy...but this is a bit different. Is it gel? To me, it looked like hardened whipped petroleum jelly...if you can imagine that. Say you took a tub of Vaseline and whipped air into it? That's what it looked like...big bubbles. Rough top, and way off center huge wick.

It looks like gel to me, because of all the bubbles. I have done alot of testing over the years with all three densities of gel. When you pour too hot gel over pinecones, candy, etc., you will hear sizzling, get tons of very small bubbles, and the gel will get cloudy. It looks like that's what happened here.

Years ago on another forum there was much discussion about if it was safe to put candy in gel. Some insisted it was, others said no. In the testing I did, if you made a gel candle with candy, and burned it like the next day, you were safe. But if you tried to relight it a couple of weeks later - YIPES! All the sugar leeched into the gel, and the whole surface of the candle would ignite.:shocked2: I wish I had saved the pics, but I never attempted to make candles like this except to test. The only safe way to do it is to double glass. That candle is disgusting. I can't believe they're really selling those....:tiptoe:

Several years ago a student gave me a similar candle for Vday with the candy hearts. It was gel with the candies not in the gel. There was an insert between the gel and the candies. At the time I was unfamiliar with gel candles and couldn't see that there was something separating the candy and gel and only saw it after burning it.

I don't remember the company name, but the candle definitely looked better than the one shown here. Burned forever, too, and got a good burn from what I recall.

It doesn't look like there's any glass separating the gel from the candies. In fact, in the second picture (the one with the wick showing) it looks like one of the candy hearts is poking up just above the gel at the 10:00 position. That worries me. But then again, most of these are produced commercially in China and the like, so I'm not entirely surprised.

I believe that's a gel candle with imbeds not candy. Lots of molds for that sort of thing and fairly common except ususally it's some kind of fake fruit imbed that looks like its been embalmed. Sorry if I offended anyone who makes gel candles on the board Happy Valentines Day in 8 days.

Steve