Moral Dilemma : Please help me understand this !!!

Im putting this in the business forum because whatever the outcome is, it is going to affect my business.

I've been contacted by one of the largest chapters of the Relay For Life sponsored by the American Cancer Society to submitt a large part of my product line, for consideration, to possbily be used as fund raiser items for the Relay participants.

With the spotlight at the Susan G. Komen Foundation is now under, since it pulled all funding for breast and cervical cancer screenings at Planned Parenthood, Im concerned.

These are two separate organizations, and the SGKF does not sponsor the ACS RFL, but, and I hate to say this, to a very large portion of people, they are joined, and some believe they are two halves of one whole.

Just to give the very shortest of explanations, the SGKF pulled the funding from Planned Parenthood, because at a very few select PP sites, they do perform abortions, although most do not, and PP is under investigation trying to find out if they have ever used taxpayer money to pay for abortions. ( that's the quickest explanation I can give)

There has been no answer to this question yet since it is still under investigation, and the SGKF pulled it's money because in their bylaws, it states that they will not fund organizations that are under investigation. I can see that. But I also am of the opinion that innocent until proven guilty and there has been no judgement whatsoever yet.

( I am SO SORRY this is so long , but I really need to put it all out there because I truly, TRULY need yalls help )

The questionable actions about what SGKF has done, comes in light that they just hired some lady that ran for Gov in Georgia the other year, and she is very pro life and that was her platform, to run the SGKF.

Planned Parenthood, offers various cancer screenings, to under or uninsured women.

Three times........... I was a patient of PP and they found cancer. Breast twice and cervical once.

I live every day with the fear its going to come back, and I thank God there was a place I could go to , to get continually screened for many years.

(Im almost through lol )

Here's the kicker. I just spent about 300.00 two days ago ( a day before this story broke) in purchasing materials to make Pink "stuff" from lotions to butters, tps to melts, molds , wax and soap, and dyes and more dyes.

Im mad, hurt, confused, and angry about what is going on with the pulling of the funds when there has been no judgement. I know so many people who have teens and young adults who live in poverty and rely on PP for so many services.

What do I do ? Gracefully decline until this blows over? Go ahead and make the stuff, and if it gets accepted, pray people know the difference between SGKF and ACS , and in that knowing, do not look down at my products and business name because my name will be on said products.

I need help yall . Please. Because I haven't been so " lost " feeling on knowing what to do, in a very , very long time.

TIA

Oh I forgot something . This Relay team? From this huge town? Is two states away, the chairperson saw some of my TP flower arragements, and other stuff, that were given as a Christmas present, so she hunted me down, and after talking with her, they were really interested in my products. It was not something they'd done before, and they had kept getting suggestions from the public, to offer new items for purchase.

Edited by blacktieaffair

I have never thought that the 2 entities were connected in any way, nor do I know anyone who thinks that. I don't see any problem with you being involved, imo. I can't imagine why anyone would look down on your products.

I say go for it & let SGKF do what they wish. & enjoy the flattery of being hunted down! :)

It makes for a gut wrenching, difficult life when we allow politics to interfere with our decision making. You're basically torn between a great opportunity (which doesn't come along very often) to grow your business or supporting an organization that you believe in. I will say this, I applaud your loyalty to PP but do you think that your decision to NOT take advantage of the offer from SGKF is going to affect PP at all? I understand your concerns that SOME people MAY look down on your products but how many do you think that will actually be? I'm guessing not that many. What about all of the people who will see your name on the products and support you for supporting SGKF? In business you can't please everyone regardless of what you do.

If it were me I would take SGKF up on their offer and see where it goes. Remember, you're only putting your products up for consideration. There's no guarantee they'll even choose your products to offer. If they do I would take them up on it. If it helps make your business more successful then that will give you more money that you can personally donate to PP, if you so desire.

Classic, Im kinda whacky right now so Im not sure I explained it right up there or not but... its not SGKF that hunted me down, it was the ACS Relay for Life team in another state. If I didnt make it clear, Im sorry :( Just please overlook me.

HS, I truly understand what you are saying. And in no way am I saying that you are judging anyone because as a devout Christian, I know you wouldn't do that. My only thing was if there would be a confusion. I can't condone nor can I judge PP for some of the services it has available, Not MY Place. I just know that they saved my life three times, and in that respect, I do feel a large loyalty to them in that they offer these breast and cervical cancer screens to people who would have never gotten it otherwise, for whatever reason.

Beth, I guess maybe it's just 'down here' that some think that. I talked to a chat forum of 80 ppl today, and 70 said they thought they were connected. Maybe Im just being overly cautious.

My apologies BTA. You explained it perfectly. I just got lost in the story. However, my reply is the same - go for it. There will be those who support you because you did and those who won't (although I think more will than won't). If it helps to make you more successful then you will have more money that you can personally support PP with, if that's what you want to do.

I don't think too many folks think that the American Cancer Society is directly related to the Komen Foundation. And I imagine with the media storm and political fallout that SGKF is getting off of the whole thing currently, the ACS is going to make sure it is known that they are NOT affiliated. That said, you may talk to your contact in the ACS to see if there is anything you could do in the labeling to make the point that you aren't affiliating yourself with the Komen Foundation. They may already be making plans along that line as well.

I think, regardless of the politics involved with the SGKF, if something is making you nervous about taking the particular assignment with the ACS, I'd find out more information from them directly before making a final decision in promoting the product line.

Janet, I fired off an email asking for her to call me at her convenience that I had some questions concerning the potential fallout. I hope I hear from her tomorrow. No one ever does fully good, no one ever does fully bad. I just have to have more facts , you are right about that :)

Thank You to everyone who's taken the time to read that mini novel up there and offer advice. I truly appreciate it!

So, if I have this correct, there are 3 separate organizations involved. ACS is supported by SGKF who also supported cancer screenings at Planned Parenthood. The funding issue between SGKF and PP has nothing to do with the ACS.

If the funds raised by this Relay for Life isn't going to SGKF or PP (IMO) I think it should be a non-issue. I would recommend that the labels contain a tagline that says something like "Purchase of this item directly supports the American Cancer Society."

Sorry that you have to go through all this intead of just being able to say YAY I got a new account! I think you should go for it! I don't think that you are condoning SGKF's actions by selling your candles to ACS.

"Im mad, hurt, confused, and angry about what is going on with the pulling of the funds when there has been no judgement. I know so many people who have teens and young adults who live in poverty and rely on PP for so many services" Me too! i know a lot of organizations such as moveon.org would love to hear from you and your first hand experience with how PP has helped you. They compile the emails they get and will send them to SGKF and lawmakers to let them know that PP is not just about abortions...I think this would help you with your moral dilemma??? JMHO Good luck with whatever you decide and CONGRATS

HEY BLACKTIEAFFAIR I AM CELEBRATING WITH YOU!!! I do understand your compassion but this sounds like a chance of a life time(at least for a small frie like me lol) I pray that God leads you to make the best decision for you and your family. PP has been a part of my life also, as has SGKF, and relay for life. I love what they all stand for but its not about loyalty right now its about your business...YOUR NAME!! KEEP US POSTED AND WHEN YOU MAKE IT BIG ALWAYS REMEMBER THE LADY WHO WARPED HER CLAMSHELLS IN THE OVEN!!!LOL

HS, I truly understand what you are saying. And in no way am I saying that you are judging anyone because as a devout Christian, I know you wouldn't do that. My only thing was if there would be a confusion. I can't condone nor can I judge PP for some of the services it has available, Not MY Place. I just know that they saved my life three times, and in that respect, I do feel a large loyalty to them in that they offer these breast and cervical cancer screens to people who would have never gotten it otherwise, for whatever reason.

PP has helped me several times in my life too, and I see a real need for the services they provide, so Christians either need to start providing those same services, or STFU. (Pardon my French).

I'm against abortion, of course, but I understand the abject terror that drives many young women to the abortion clinics, and I feel that if Christians don't want there to be abortions in the USA, they need to start providing jobs and housing and transportation and medical care and everything the unwed mothers need to survive until they can get back on their feet after their babies are either adopted or are old enough for their moms to return to work. And, of course, then they need help with daycare and transportation to and from work, and career wear, etc.

Ideally, women should wise up and realize that premarital sex is just a bum deal and a rip off for women, and girls were sold a bill of goods during the 60s and 70s, which destroyed our families and our society in this country. And I speak as someone who did the whole free love thing in the San Francisco Bay Area before I became a Christian at age 30, having been through hell as a single mom for 8 years before that.

Edited by HorsescentS

SliverofWax........... in response to your statement , Please read what I wrote

HS, I truly understand what you are saying. And in no way am I saying that you are judging anyone because as a devout Christian, I know you wouldn't do that. My only thing was if there would be a confusion. I can't condone nor can I judge PP for some of the services it has available, Not MY Place.

I wasn't referring to tax payer money ANYWHERE in that sentence.. I was referring to the fact that as a Christian, I have been taught not to judge people, and its not MY place to judge anyone. That belongs to my Lord.

Sorry that you have to go through all this intead of just being able to say YAY I got a new account! I think you should go for it! I don't think that you are condoning SGKF's actions by selling your candles to ACS.

"Im mad, hurt, confused, and angry about what is going on with the pulling of the funds when there has been no judgement. I know so many people who have teens and young adults who live in poverty and rely on PP for so many services" Me too! i know a lot of organizations such as moveon.org would love to hear from you and your first hand experience with how PP has helped you. They compile the emails they get and will send them to SGKF and lawmakers to let them know that PP is not just about abortions...I think this would help you with your moral dilemma??? JMHO Good luck with whatever you decide and CONGRATS

Thanks so much for the information on moveon.org. I think I will send them an email.

If I understand this correctly they wish to purchase your products to sell for fund a raising event. I would understand your worries with your company name or support if you were going to donate your products to their organizationand not sell them. I am typically a business minded person meaning that business is always my first thoughts then my personal feelings later so many of you may disagree, but here goes. Business is business and should remain just that, it is always a good idea to keep that separate from your religious and political beliefs. They want to potentially purchase your products for fundraising activities and that does not say to anyone that you are a supporter in any way. They can just as easy purchase your products from one of your wholesalers to do the same or they will buy products from some other company to raise money. The bottom line is they need to raise money by selling other peoples products and if it’s not yours it will be someone else’s. You should be honored that an organization has liked your products enough to request them for an evaluation in their fund raising event; I know several people on here would love an opportunity like that. On a business stand point you should not worry about their politics, that isn’t your problem, focus on growing your business and getting your name and products out to a larger public and this opportunity sounds like it will be a huge boost to your name.

To put it in a one line format: There should be a separation between business practices and anything personal.

Hmmm...most people I know associate PP (Planned Parenthood) with birth control options, not abortion.

Me too considering the fact it's so illegal in so many states. That's why I am wondering about this investigation. I could be wrong and I hope Im not, but as far as misapropriation of funds go, I pray they aren't doing anything illegal. It wouldn't make sense to me because I would think that since it is such a hot topic, they'd take EVERY precaution to insure there is no questions legally in any way .

Who knows. That's them and theirs. I just wanted and needed some really sound advice and you all gave it to me and I appreciate it so much.

To the ones that mentioned the "business factor" , my 23 yr old son said the same thing when I went in his room a while ago and told him the deal. He was like , Mom, you gotta do this. Then I came in here and talked to you all, and got even more feedback that I truly needed.

Here is how Im going to look at it.

Im going to adopt the attitude that this is THEIR fight. There are good and I am sure there are bad people, in all of the above mentioned orgs. I can't control what any of them do. All I can control is what I do. I know there are tremendously wonderful people who SUPPORT these orgs, and Im going to do my best to make the best smelling toilet paper they ever saw !!!! ( insert laugh track!!! lol )

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH . From the bottom of my heart.

Im not fishing ok ? But I think one reason this upset me so bad today is I had one friend committ suicide two weeks ago, and this morning one of my lifelong friends passed away from brain cancer shes fought for 10 years, and the infant grandson of a good friend of mine, just had open heart surgery today, then I got lost in the REALLY BAD part of Knoxville Tn, and trust me, there are places here that "southern hospitality" doesn't exsist and I was scared chitless... then I had to play Dukes of Hazard to jump interstate lanes, get to Hobby Lobby only to find out the lady lied to me yesterday and what I came after, the only thing I drove 50 miles for, was in fact NOT on sale even though it was smack dab in the middle of all the florals, and florals went on sale today.. Had it out with the manager who looked at me and said " I dont know why she told you that, we never put sales on in the middle of the week"... I said " ribbons went off yesterday when I was here right? " her " right" .. me " and florals went on sale today, right? " .. " right "...

(this is when the Irish Indian popped out and I very very loudly said

" well the LAST damn time I checked, this is the middle of the week and you put something on sale today so you just LIED TO ME " .. then I walked out.

NOT been the best of days !

Thanks Craft.

Guess we were posting at the same time lol.

With this being the first thing I've done like this, and in another state no less, I was just worried that with my name also on the personalized hang tags they wanted, there might be some confusion. I guess it just boils down to, if they like it, they'll buy it , if they don't , they wont.

Thanks Craft.

Guess we were posting at the same time lol.

With this being the first thing I've done like this, and in another state no less, I was just worried that with my name also on the personalized hang tags they wanted, there might be some confusion. I guess it just boils down to, if they like it, they'll buy it , if they don't , they wont.

Well, Yes you're right. If there is no reference of supporting their cause on your label then you have nothing to worry about. Don't let the out of state thing worry you either, the point of sale is in your state and therefore is not considered "out of state" sales. If you really think about it, the only people that will go to that event will be supporters and even if there was some affiliation between them and your products it will be perceived as being a positive advertisement for your products. Always remember, in order for a business to be successfull you have to accept any and all sales, even from people that do not agree with your opinions which is why I choose not to share them when I do business. I think this a great opportunity and you should be very proud that your products were considered, Congrats!

PP has helped me several times in my life too, and I see a real need for the services they provide, so Christians either need to start providing those same services, or STFU. (Pardon my French).

I'm against abortion, of course, but I understand the abject terror that drives many young women to the abortion clinics, and I feel that if Christians don't want there to be abortions in the USA, they need to start providing jobs and housing and transportation and medical care and everything the unwed mothers need to survive until they can get back on their feet after their babies are either adopted or are old enough for their moms to return to work. And, of course, then they need help with daycare and transportation to and from work, and career wear, etc.

Ideally, women should wise up and realize that premarital sex is just a bum deal and a rip off for women, and girls were sold a bill of goods during the 60s and 70s, which destroyed our families and our society in this country. And I speak as someone who did the whole free love thing in the San Francisco Bay Area before I became a Christian at age 30, having been through hell as a single mom for 8 years before that.

Horsescents I totally agree with everything you just said (including the french). You really DO have horsescence, lol.