Trimming wicks??

I do assume that most people will never trim a wick or not even know that there may come a time when they may have to. Is the goal to wicking a candle is to have a wick that can burn without trimming from first burn to the last? Top to bottom till there is not enough wax left in the jar to burn. People my burn a candle past the recomended 3-4 hr mark. Over the holidays we were at a persons house and they had a candle burning the entire time we were there 5-6 hrs. By the time we left it had a very large flame. Store bought candle. Just want to know everyones opinion Bobby.

We are at the point where our candles have great cold and awesome hot throw but needs a trim some where between the middle to bottom of the candle. Id Say after a few burns about 10hr point. I just dont think most customers will trim it.

Before I made candles I never trimmed a wick either- I don't think people know you should do that and I never read instructions- its a candle what could there be to know- light the Dam thing... Right

I am wondering since I too have not been successful in making them trim free if a burning instruction hang tag would cover you for irresponsible candle consumers...if every candle states exactly HOW to burn it and something goes wrong it Would fall on them? And a hang tag is easier read than the warning in fine print on the bottom- any thoughts on that anyone?

Our candles burn great if it gets that trim. Would yours smoke, jar be to hot , flame to high if there was no trim of wick???? My wife thinks ours are great but shes always trimmed wicks even before we started making candles. I think ours rock too but its the wick trim thats got me thinking.

I have yet to find a store candle that I could burn without trimming the wick. So I always tell people that I sell to, to trim the wick. I also put a little reminder card in their bag and I include one in each candle. I guess thats a little OCD? I still wonder if they trim? :confused:

Before I made candles I never trimmed a wick either- I don't think people know you should do that and I never read instructions- its a candle what could there be to know- light the Dam thing... Right

I am wondering since I too have not been successful in making them trim free if a burning instruction hang tag would cover you for irresponsible candle consumers...if every candle states exactly HOW to burn it and something goes wrong it Would fall on them? And a hang tag is easier read than the warning in fine print on the bottom- any thoughts on that anyone?

Ditto on everything you said! I was even thinking of putting wick trimming instructions on the main label on top of the lid or something. Even Yankee Candles need to have their wicks trimmed; I've seen a very scary huge flame with tons of smoke and soot on a 22 oz Yankee in the home of my cousin, who's never even heard of wick trimming. The wick was so long and leaning dangerously close to the glass.

Edited by HorsescentS

I've always been a wick trimmer,even before I made candles and bought the craptastic store bought ones.I had always thought everyone trimmed their wicks as well.

Boy was I dead wrong.I went to my sisters one day and as soon as I walked in the door I was smacked in the face with a wonderful bakery scent.I go to the kitchen table where there is a 21 oz mainstay jar candle burning.It was at less than the halfway point and had the hugest flame,like reaching to the top of the jar,the biggest mushroom imaginable,soot all over the inside of the jar,flickering like heck,and hot as you know where!I was like holy smokes sister!How long has this candle been burning?She says like since 10 am and it like 4 pm then! Now,I regularly burn candles for hours,but honestly,I blow them out around 4 or 5 hours,trim the wick,and relight them and let them go for another 4 or 5 hours with no problem.I never did that with store bought candles but i've done it plenty since making my own.I was surprised that glass jar hadn't broke.It was so hot you couldn't touch it.I blew it out immediately and lectured my sis about candle burning safety.She also said she just got that candle the day before and burned it for 6 hours that day and didn't trim the wick before relighting it the next day.So,that's like 12 hours of burning with no wick trimming.The only positive thing I took from this disaster was that after 12 hours of burning the 21 oz candle,it was almost gone.No wonder they sell this size jar for $5. You could burn them up in 2 days time if you're a power burner who NEVER trims your wick!My candles last much much longer than these POS candles.Some of them are super strong but they are gone so fast I don't see how it's worth it to buy them.They are obviously overwicked and sometimes the wick is even terribly off centered.I wonder if there have been any glass explosions or fires started by these bad boys?

So do you think if we tell our new customers or give them a instruction card most will follow through.. They just weren't educated till someone lik us told them. So far the consences seems to be im not alone with my candles needing there wick trimmed.

I've educated many people on trimming their wicks - some were greatful for the info and are religious in following instructions -- others just don't give a damn - my best friend being one of the latter. She just flat refuses to trim a wick or even hug a pillar. After a little lecture on the proper burning of pillars her response was "well, if I mess it up, you'll remelt & repour it for me" WRONG - I have not made her a candle since then.

One thing I do is put my warning label under the lid of all my candles, this way they see it when they take the lid off and also because people have a tendency (sp?) to sit (even wicked) candles on a warmer and I do not trust a label to sit on a candle warmer.

Edited by leisa2003

I don't think they know the CONSEQUENCES of not trimming the wick, because I had no idea that the entire candle can overheat and catch all the wax on fire and shatter and burn your house down. I think we should tell them that.

I think "Keep wick trimmed to 1/4 inch" should be in red letters on our main label, not on the warning sticker they can't read even if they want to because the type is so small.

I also read on wikipedia that a common danger of container candles is, if you set them on wood or a synthetic counter top that doesn't disperse heat away from the sides of the jar, they often break. It happened to me. So, they need to know WHY they should always use a candle plate made of a material that conducts heat away from the jar, AND trim the wick.

• 9 months later...