Whay Saran Wrap and not another brand?

AlwaysWondering

Yep, that's what we've always called it .. just like in the south, used to be, if you wanted a soft drink, ANY kind of soft drink, you said " give me a Coke".. and you'd get asked " what kind" , and you'd say , Mt Dew or something LOL its odd, just the things you grow up saying!

That is too funny! That's exactly what happened to me. I was born in Texas, raised in Kansas, and moved back to Texas when I was 18. When I was dating my ex-wife she would say, "i'm going to the store, would you like a Coke?" and my answer was, "Sure", and she would say, "What kind do you want?" and I would say, "What!? A Coke. Why would you ask that when you asked me if I wanted a Coke?" In Kansas we grew up calling it "pop" and then you would specify what brand but when I moved back to Texas I ran into the "Coke" question. Still funny 30 years later!

Band-aid, Post-it Notes...

Classic, I'm originally from KCMO and grew up calling it pop as well. Often still do to odd looks. I remember in the KC area they had stores in the area called the Pop Shoppe. Same thing here in Georgia, everything is a Coke and then you get the what kind question.

Well I used to say "Glad Wrap" referring to any plastic wrap, until I started reading so many soap making posts; so I'm trying to switch to "Saran Wrap."

How about "Jello" for gelatin, and Kleenex for tissue. I never say "I need a tissue" or "Could I borrow a Puffs?" Funny though, we don't call all toilet paper "Charmin".