Credit Card Number Stolen again.....

There were a few threads about this but I thought I would start a new one. My credit card that I use for supplies has been stolen 2 days ago.

Started with a dollar charge from Google then a few dot coms I've never heard of and a florist. I caught it early and cancelled the card, but with all the pending charges it emptied my PP account and overdrafted from my back up checking.

Since this is a business debit card and this is the 3rd time it's happened to me I'm thinking it has to be a supplier I'm using. The person that used the # knew my name, address, email, security code on the back and phone # (that's not listed anywhere)

All this info we give to any supplier we deal with but online we're not giving it to the girl at Hobby Lobby or anywhere we're physically swiping it.

Has anyone else had their card stolen recently?

Just canceled and replaced my Mastercard today. Same as you, a Google charge for $1.00 and a few more, but the cc company put a security hold on the card before it got out of hand. I got an email from Essentials by Catalina saying the card was declined and I had to call them with another card to pay for my order. I called the cc company to find out why it was declined and was told there was a security hold on the card and they were not allowing any more purchases to be processed on this card. I canceled it and will be getting a new one.

This is the 3rd time one of my cards is replaced. Twice with a Discover card last year, only a few months apart. In the last month, I used the Mastercard at Rustic Escentuals and Amazon.com

I've always been so scared of this happening to me, so I just use a prepaid "credit" card ( debit card ) that way they can't get anything I didnt put on there, and I only put on just a lil more than I know Im going to need. Sure I have "fees" but so does CCs . Hope they get it straight for yall SOON !!!!!!

Mine was jacked on Christmas Eve for $1550 worth of plane tickets on Lufthansa. I was able to get the person's name from the credit card fraud department at my bank. It's a Russian chick I'd never heard of before.

Checking back through the last 90 days charges nothing stood out as a likely suspect. We can compare notes if you like.

I never use my debit cards for online transactions. never. Only the credit card for purchases so my cash flow isn't disrupted with nuisances like this. Plus it gives me time to discover the fraudulent charges within the grace period before the bill comes due. The accumulated credit points are nice at the end of the year too.

I'm tempted to purchase pre-paid, single use cards from the bank, at least for transactions with companies I'm not familiar with. The discouraging factor is the up front cost per transaction as this is a pretty heavily used card and the fees would stack up quickly.

The other thing I have been meaning to do, but haven't gotten 'round to, is starting a 'clearing house' account to link to PayPal and Square. Then I can unlink the main business accounts from them. I fear one day PayPal will remove funds from my account for some silly reason they dream up and are fully entitled by user agreement to do. At least this would shield the main account from too much risk.

This just happened to me too. I didn't realize it until I went to order from two suppliers day before yesterday and my card was declined. Turns out fraud dept. flagged it and stopped transactions. Only shopped two places before this at the end of December. One I used PayPal and the other was Amazon and did use that card.

Which reminds me... I just saw on Fox cable tonight about people that Amazon (and some others) hire who work out of traveling RVs. It showed a few running transactions through their computers along with some RV parks many set up at and do this for a living while being able to travel the country.

Edited by jeanie353

The most recent places were Rustic/Aroma Haven, Candlescience,Just Scent and Amazon. But one would think if the thieves were smart they would wait a few months before using the account so it's not likely to trace back to them.

I have no idea.

I read that about Amazon and the RV workers. That's crazy but I guess it's a little better to the outsourcing to other countries. So many businesses use offices all over the country for phone ordering you never know who you talking to and what they have access to.

I read that about Amazon and the RV workers. That's crazy but I guess it's a little better to the outsourcing to other countries. So many businesses use offices all over the country for phone ordering you never know who you talking to and what they have access to.
Yeah, I have no problem with them using people outside of any company to run transactions either as long as they don't have access to CC info, which I'm assuming Amazon has taken precautions for. I was surprised when I heard it but that's about it.

I do get angry when calling in for something like tech support and get a person who is in another country and can barely speak English.

Edited by jeanie353

yep happened to me.. over $ 2000 dollars worth they tried to get.. Lots of $ 1.00 google stuff.. THey hit both my biz and regular account as I have purchased supplies. This is my 2nd time in the past few months. Thank God my banks rock and only a few got through and they already took care of it

I purchase from CS, Candlewic, Peaks, TNC, RE/AH, Natures Garden, Backwoods.

yep happened to me.. over $ 2000 dollars worth they tried to get.. Lots of $ 1.00 google stuff.. THey hit both my biz and regular account as I have purchased supplies. This is my 2nd time in the past few months. Thank God my banks rock and only a few got through and they already took care of it

I purchase from CS, Candlewic, Peaks, TNC, RE/AH, Natures Garden, Backwoods.

When I called my CC company to see why they denied my transactions, I was transferred over to the Fraud Dept. They mentioned multiple $1.00 charges which to them says the CC is being tested for legitimacy or proper numbers before the intended amount is put on the card. They told me it is a common practice of legitimate places (which I do know) but also of non-legitimate transactions when several come through in a short time.

Sooo, you did not use your card at Amazon meaning this is possibly more widespread than it seemed reading over the thread.

Just happened to me again too on 12/11/11....will be my 3rd time in less than a year!!

Someone tried to use the card at 2 online computer supply sites. Joke was on them as even though I hadn't used the card in over a year I maxed it out on Thanksgiving weekend so there was only like $50 available and they were trying to charge over $1500 on it!

Since my other card got hacked twice in 6 weeks back in the spring I've been trying to be very careful as to how I use my cards. I never use them anywhere that the card leaves my sight and I opened a new debit card just to use for candle supplies and any online purchases.....it never has anymore money in that account than what my purchase is for...which is a pain in the butt but worth it.

Hey everyone-- how many of you have used Candlewic for those who got their #'s stolen??

My husband just spent the past few hours ( I am out of town) sitting down comparing and he said that he really believes its Candlewic that has the bad website. This has happen twice to us in the past 6 months and back and reviewing for both times and it seems they may possible be our culprit. So if you guys have used them too, then we need to contact them and have them fix their site. Once I know its definetly them, I am going to contact them to give them a chance to fix it or I am moving to another supplier as I am not going to continue to have this happen.

Anyone else want to chime in ?

Christina

The first time it happened I was sure it was CS and the second time I suspected AH or Nashville Wrap but it is almost impossible to figure out where it came from. However I haven't bought from these 3 suppliers using my credit cards only prepaid cards.

Also be carefull when using a debit card because in case of fraud you are better protected with a credit card than a debit card.

Just found out mine was hacked again.....this is the third time in the last year. It's crazy because I shop online with another card and have never gotten hacked using that one however I don't purchase any candle supplies with it. I doubt it's amazon because I shop there all the time with the other card. I agree, I think it has to be one of the suppliers and their cc info getting hacked. It appears this just happened within a week and the suppliers I used during that time are:

Cajun Candles

Millcreek

Candlescience

UPS

USPS

Amazon

There was also a weird charge on 12/22 from a company called "That Free Thing" for $39.95 and then a credit for the same company a few days later. No idea who this company is or if it could be related to the cc theft. This latest incident involved purchases of books and school supplies so the fraud company thinks it was a student.

Unfortunately, I think it's going to be very difficult to determine where or how it's happening but so frustrating to have to change cards for recurring bills...

Here's my list of vendors where my stolen card was used:

Columbus Foods

USPS.com

ULine

Office Depot

Chemistry Connection

SKS packaging

Menards (local home improvement store)

Site5 (web hosting)

Natures Garden ** in common with list above.**

Lotioncrafter

Barnes & Noble (locally, not online)

Drs Without Borders

I just wanted to update on the progress of trying to find out who is responsible for this.

I went through the transactions and one was FTD.com I called them and informed them that I did not authorize the charge etc. and wanted to know where the order was being shipped to. FTD told me they can't tell me anything because it against their privacy regulations!!!!! Someone steals my info and they can't tell me what they bought or where it was being shipped to?? What kind of sense does that make since I paid for it after all?? I told them I wanted to press charges and wanted all the information to give to the police. There was no arguing with them. I threatened to call the news and all and they politely told me to get an attorney if I want any personal info on the transactions end of story!

Isn't it nice to know that anyone can steal your hard earned money and THEY are protected? And here I am working for a living.... had I known I would have just become a thief.