If you have this as your "details" for your candle....

"Usage and Handling:

Trim the wick very close to the wax to prevent high levels of sooting, if sooting accurs, blow out candle, trim wick, and clean the soot off of the container with a cloth. If wick flame is too low or weak, blow out candle, pour of some of the wax and re-light. CAUTION, THE CONTAINER WILL BE VERY HOT AFTER EACH USAGE, HANDLE WITH CARE."

Yes I know the 1/4" rule for trimming wicks so no biggie there but the "If sooting accures" and the "if wick flame too low or weak" and the "CAUTION, THE CONTAINER WILL BE VERY HOT" parts just sounds to me that testing was never done or done at a minimum. Not to mention $12 for a 7oz candle??

Ok, once again I need to NOT be looking at other chandlers things... :tiptoe:

Was at a banquet on Friday night and they had tea lights in small glass holders on the tables. Someone dropped their paper napkin on one and it burst into flame and the plastic table cloth started to flame up. A quick thinking waitress came over and doused it with her water pitcher. I thought, "How stupid to put an unprotected candle on a table with lots of paper". I'm telling you the average person doesn't respect a candle or anything else that creates heat.

Steve

How about Caution - HOT warnings on hot coffee cups? I think people are so distracted these days that they are not paying attention to what is happening in the here and now. I see it in class, students are totally addicted to cell phones and it's a chore to get them to focus on anything else. I cringe when the Bunsen Burners come out.

I've always thought it was funny that they have to put directions on Poptarts, that you have to take them out of the wrapper before placing in your toaster. To me, it's common sense, but you know somewhere, somebody put it in the toaster WITH the wrapper. That's what scares me about people....the need for warnings on things that I would think are just common sense. Maybe it's just because people are so sue happy that when they do something stupid, they'd rather sue than just admit they were being silly and move on. When I splatter hot wax on myself, I don't moan and complain that there should be a warning label that the wax gets hot when you melt it....

I've resigned myself to the fact that there are lots of stupid people in the world.

I used to go to this local tavern, and in the bathroom, they had a super old towel dispenser thingy. It used a cloth towel (which in a public bathroom is revolting) that hung out of the machine in a loop. There was a huge warning sign on it, complete with a diagram, that said "DO NOT PUT HEAD IN TOWEL LOOP."

Well also along the line of stupid warnings. A 10 ft tall plush teddy sitting on a chair outside of a store, with a warning label that stated.....

"Do not machine wash" Don't know about you guys, but our washing machine sure wouldn't fit it in.....LOL

Richard

Well also along the line of stupid warnings. A 10 ft tall plush teddy sitting on a chair outside of a store, with a warning label that stated.....

"Do not machine wash" Don't know about you guys, but our washing machine sure wouldn't fit it in.....LOL

Richard

If I did, maybe I could get caught up on laundry....yeah, probably not. :-)

LOL, sounds like a beer I know. http://www.arrogantbastard.com/
Love that beer!!
I thought, "How stupid to put an unprotected candle on a table with lots of paper".
I have watched patrons at restaurants do the absolute stupidest things because they were just sitting there and had to "play" with whatever was at hand... or throw their napkins, etc. just anywhere because the rules of physics & chemistry don't apply when someone else is cleaning up...

For years, I warned my ex about coming in the kitchen door and setting the newspaper on the gas stove (with live pilot lights)... One day it finally torched off and I let him clean up the mess. Guess he needed proof... :rolleyes2:rolleyes2:rolleyes2

My fave is the warning on many microwave dinners:

"CAUTION! Product will be hot after heating."

DUH, REALLY?!!!:shocked2::shocked2::shocked2:

But I NEVER remove the tags that say

"Do Not Remove Under Penalty of Law"...:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

But I NEVER remove the tags that say

"Do Not Remove Under Penalty of Law"...:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

I grew up thinking I would get in trouble for that, thanks to my two older brothers. If one of those tags accidentally came off, they told me the cops were going to come and take me away. They were so mean, lol. :-)

Warning lables for those who actually read them (smart people) are often humorous. Preparation-H has on thier label "Not for oral consumption", talk about confusion if you can't figure out which end to insert it. I, like all of you have seen many, "don't put this in that!", "Keep that away from this", "Don't eat this, don't eat that", and "For external use only", but the scary (and sometime humorous) part is that for them to put the warning on the box means that at some point someone has tried it!

"Common sence is not that Common" Voltaire

I think it is so, if their kid plays with the toaster and puts the whole thing in there, they can not sue you.

I've always thought it was funny that they have to put directions on Poptarts, that you have to take them out of the wrapper before placing in your toaster. To me, it's common sense, but you know somewhere, somebody put it in the toaster WITH the wrapper. That's what scares me about people....the need for warnings on things that I would think are just common sense. Maybe it's just because people are so sue happy that when they do something stupid, they'd rather sue than just admit they were being silly and move on. When I splatter hot wax on myself, I don't moan and complain that there should be a warning label that the wax gets hot when you melt it....

When I was a kid, I watched a young lady that was getting ready for her wedding. She didn't take the card board off the tampax, just inserted the whole thing. I found it in the trash. I knew she was acting uncomfortable when she was sitting on the couch. Kids are curious. I know I was. Also, I want a huge bright orange sign on the top of my jar candle that says, IF YOU DO NOT READ THE WARNING, THIS CANDLE WILL BLOW UP. Wonder if they would read it then. hahahahaaha

I figured hot coffee would come into it sometime. Most people think Ms. Liebeck was a scammer but the real case was about 700 prior burn victims, Ms. Liebeck's skin grafts and crotch burns, and coffee that was served at just below the boiling point. That didn't get in the press. The backlash was unnecessary. There was no need to lower coffee to 100 degrees or give stupid labels like "warning, coffee is warm." The facts were misreported by the press for sensational story lines. Pure and simple. Today, every juror believes that injured people are really scam artists and they abrogate their duty when the refuse to disclose this to the judge.

So the best backlash I saw was a bicycle manufacturer who got sued for a product defect (it happens when you make a million bicycles, some will be blems that end up breaking when they shouldn't). So the manufacturer sold accessories with their logo and name on it.

The best of which was a coffee cup with a full sized 16 page operator's manual!

Edited by EricofAZ