Bizarre To go or not to go?

clueless

HI everyone. My town is having a small bizarre in the next few weeks. My mother insists I go and set up a small booth selling some candles, tarts, body butter and bath bombs stuff like that, you get the idea :)....

I am however very concerned. How prepared do you really have to be for something like this? I mean it wont be anything huge the town I live in is tiny tiny. But still, I dont wanna go and get laughed at or anything. I am a young mommy and do the best I can. I finally have great confidence it the items I make and have no worries there. I'm more worried about the display, how much product to make, the look of my labels...I just don't think it would be put together very well. Should I skip or give it a try? I could use the extra money since Christmas is upon us. I just dont want to jump in and it be a disaster. Any tips would be appreciated.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, you could go and check it out and do it next year...or you could jump in a give it a try. I can tell you that no matter how prepared you think you are, the first few show you do will be eye-opening as to things you forgot and things you don't want to do the same way again. I vote for jumping in and getting your first show behind you since you are confident about your products. You can't make a little extra money unless you go.

If you are confident in your products, then jump in with both feet! If you are disappointed, consider it a learning experience. Do you have everything in place to sell? Tax/use/resale license so you can collect and pay sales tax, insurance, etc. Never know til you try. And if you do not do it, you might regret it. Just my opinion, though. Whatever you do, have a good holiday.

Cheers

But, on the flip side, gotta make that first impression. I would be more likely to go to the booth that appeared as though the vendor had more experience and not just starting out, kwim?

I vote for going & scoping out everyone else's booth & taking notes on what to do (& what not to do) next time.

Well, you could go and check it out and do it next year...or you could jump in a give it a try. I can tell you that no matter how prepared you think you are, the first few show you do will be eye-opening as to things you forgot and things you don't want to do the same way again. I vote for jumping in and getting your first show behind you since you are confident about your products. You can't make a little extra money unless you go.

Thanks Traci. I do agree with you. It's just going to take so much nerve to go. So much of me wants to go ahead and give it shot. My mom said she would help me with everything to get prepared. So that makes me feel a little bit better. I think my biggest fear is just looking bad. Everyone else will have experience at it and I won't have a clue at all what I'm doing. Were you super nervous your first time selling your product in public?

It's just like learning to walk ... if you never take that first step you will never go anywhere. Yes, I was nervous about my sales technique and talking to people ... but if you are confident in your product it is a lot easier and becomes even routine after you get more experience.

I'd recommend you start with one product and get it the way you want it to look and then move on to the next. It's better to go with 2 or 3 great items than trying to go with 5 or 6 that just look so-so. Good Luck!

I say go for it! If you put effort into your labels they can't be that bad. You should see some of the labels I have seen...definitely afterthoughts...or no thought at all! For your display - tablecloths, a small xmas tree or pine tree this time of year does wonders. Make sure product is laid out neatly and priced/ or price signs. You should do fine.

If you are super nervous...try a few displays, take some photos and post here for us to go over with you...same with your label. This group is great for constructive criticism and praise.

Sure, I was nervous the first few times. I still am when I do a different type of show until I settle into just chatting and selling. A year from now you will wonder what you were so nervous about! You could spend your life checking out shows and hoping to get in next year...or you can get out there and start meeting your new customers. Just remember when you get nervous to act "as if"...as if you were a seasoned vet, as if you have sold a million candles, as it they will never find another candle as good as this one and as if they will be back to reorder from you as soon as they get home and light their new candle!

Edited by TraciS

I did make about $130 just from my mother taking them and selling them at her work just last week. So I know people really like them. I have decided that even if I don't go and sell, I'm atleast going to go and scope it so that maybe I know what to expect and can prepare.

I will keep everyone posted on my decisions :)

Considering you've only been making candles less than 2 months, my vote is that you go check it out, see what types of crafters are there and what the crowd is like. Even if you've been testing 24/7, you are still no where near ready to begin selling. I'm not trying to discourage you, but you really need to have all your "ducks in a row" prior to selling. Do you have insurance? In this sue-crazy world, this is a must-have. Again, not trying to discourage, just wanting you to be prepared.

I already pretty much decided to go and scope it out...

And as far me only making the product for a few months I know for a fact they are wonderful. I'm 100% confident in my product and have had great feedback and everyone loves them.So I must disagree with you saying I'm not ready to start selling. We all have to start somewhere. Everyone has different opinions, but I must say if you are confident in your product and have gotten it out to the public and know that people love it, then why wouldn't you want to sell it?

If I have already made a decent amount of money from it, it must show that people enjoy. I even have people asking for more. I know experienced people can say things like that to someone just starting out, but remember back to when you were fresh. I realize it's probably not the best decision for me to jump in and set up a booth, therefore I will scope it.

I already pretty much decided to go and scope it out...

And as far me only making the product for a few months I know for a fact they are wonderful. I'm 100% confident in my product and have had great feedback and everyone loves them.So I must disagree with you saying I'm not ready to start selling. We all have to start somewhere. Everyone has different opinions, but I must say if you are confident in your product and have gotten it out to the public and know that people love it, then why wouldn't you want to sell it?

If I have already made a decent amount of money from it, it must show that people enjoy. I even have people asking for more. I know experienced people can say things like that to someone just starting out, but remember back to when you were fresh. I realize it's probably not the best decision for me to jump in and set up a booth, therefore I will scope it.

From one newb to another, I can assure you that SDM's post was most likely referring to the safety of your candles. They may smell great & look great, but you've tested each combo thoroughly? That's the part that seems to take me forever- burning it allll the way. It will take me forever to be ready to sell.. if ever, lol.

My first show I was not prepared at all, I had my product down but that was about it. I was the only one without a 'look' for the booth and guess what... I was the "winner" at the show. I did several hundred dollars and there wasn't a single table there other than mine that did over $50. Sometimes we spend too much time thinking of things and you get lost in what you're really doing... we don't sell bottles, tins, or glassware, we don't sell tablecloths, we don't sell a fancy display. We sell what is inside. If you believe in that product you'll be just fine!

My first show I was not prepared at all, I had my product down but that was about it. I was the only one without a 'look' for the booth and guess what... I was the "winner" at the show. I did several hundred dollars and there wasn't a single table there other than mine that did over $50. Sometimes we spend too much time thinking of things and you get lost in what you're really doing... we don't sell bottles, tins, or glassware, we don't sell tablecloths, we don't sell a fancy display. We sell what is inside. If you believe in that product you'll be just fine!

But I think what stands out is the length of time spent learning to make candles. How many scents/wax/wick/container combos have been thoroughly tested in just a few months? Enthusiasm & confidence are great, but having your ducks in a row (safety, insurance, etc) is even better. Evidently I'm in the minority here, lol, so I'll bow out now. :)

Edited by Beth

This is where the confidence in the product comes into play. I had my product down, I sold 2 size candles in 30 different scents. I created a system and I had three sizes of wicks I used, two for the smaller ones, and one system for the larger ones. I did what I thought would work in the smaller ones and the larger ones if it didn't work it just didn't come in the larger one. I would burn, if it 'protested' in the large jar I would immediately eliminate it, I didn't sell enough of them to bother myself with them (at the time) and I would do a 4 hour burn, a 10-12 hour burn, and then a 4 hour burn, and then another 10-12 hour to finish it up (the small one). If I didn't like it I did another burn with the smaller, or larger wick (the one I didn't try out of the two) If it didn't work I just tossed it out. I now have 120 scents I keep stocked, testing 15 or 20 per month including re-testing old scents to make sure they are still "working" the way I think is acceptable. I am now on a rotation to test all the scents once a year. When I first started I tested 50 scents in 7 days, eliminated like 30, then tested 25 more in about three days (both not including cure time of 4 days.) In total I was pretty confident in three weeks in my product. Got the rest of my ducks in a row and there it was. I didn't have a name or anything, I went on a domain search, found a short, simple name I liked that reminded me of a place I love vacationing and it just 'fit' I registered the domain went to the lawyer, got my llc in order and had everything done within 8 weeks from the first order to the open for business. That show was about a month after that, showed up with no table cloth, no stands. I just had candles that I believed in on a bare generic 6' faux wood grain table.

Okay so its definite everyone has different opinions. No I do not have all my "ducks" in a row. I'm just starting out and everyone has been exactly where I am at one point or another. I thank the people on here for being supportive and giving me a feeling that I really could do it and make it happen. For the ones that disagree and think I'm not ready, I understand, but again....we all have to start somewhere??? If you believe in yourself and have the time on your hands I think all things are possible. I'm not going to have a million different scents, and lots of different sizes, or fancy banners and all that in the beginning but in time I will rock it!!

I am a very determined person and when I confident I can do it.

Might not be this month....but soon for sure.

And luckily as for the displays and such, my stepfather is super handy with wood! He can make anything so he will be able to make me some nice displays :)

It only took you 3 weeks to learn candlemaking & test 50 scents??

Yes and no

I was building off of a mentor who gave me the 'basics' and let me loose. They did not tell me what kind of wax to use either so I had tested 4 (all soy) they did give me a 'primer' on waxes and wicks though. I started off with cd and eco wicks, they have very similar attributes but the cd wicks "turn" the wax more which helps the fragrance throw. I had also made candles with paraffin wax before (from Michael's)

So like I said, yes and no. I did learn my system in 3 weeks, and since then I have only tweaked a few things, most of it has to do with pour temps but even that hasn't changed much.

I just signed up for my first craft show, which will be in March. I'll have a total of 5 1/2 months of candle making under my belt by the show. I don't plan on having a ton of scents available, maybe 10 at most (we'll see how much testing I can get done by then) and only two different sizes, the 6oz and 16oz tins. I'll also have a bunch of tarts that I've made, so that'll help fill up my table a little more, lol. While I still think it's a bit early, I want the experience. I already have my sales tax ID, registered my business, and I'll be getting my insurance after the holidays, so I'll be all ready by then, or as ready as I can be. I'm excited, scared, nervous, all of those, but you've got to start somewhere! I also have all day, every day to work on it, as I don't work outside the home and my three kids are all in school now, so I have plenty of time! :-)

I just signed up for my first craft show, which will be in March. I'll have a total of 5 1/2 months of candle making under my belt by the show. I don't plan on having a ton of scents available, maybe 10 at most (we'll see how much testing I can get done by then) and only two different sizes, the 6oz and 16oz tins. I'll also have a bunch of tarts that I've made, so that'll help fill up my table a little more, lol. While I still think it's a bit early, I want the experience. I already have my sales tax ID, registered my business, and I'll be getting my insurance after the holidays, so I'll be all ready by then, or as ready as I can be. I'm excited, scared, nervous, all of those, but you've got to start somewhere! I also have all day, every day to work on it, as I don't work outside the home and my three kids are all in school now, so I have plenty of time! :-)

I have one in school & a 2 year old at home, lol. Maybe that's what's slowing me down :)

I had to giggle when I read this - I think you mean a "bazaar" and not "bizarre" although it's entirely possible that one could find some pretty bizarre stuff at a bazaar! LOLOL

I, too, do not believe that 3 weeks is enough time to put products before the general public even if you worked 24/7. That simply is not enough time to perform due diligence in testing. It's not enough to know how one candle performs under ideal conditions and 3 weeks tells you nothing about how your candles perform over time. I hope you have product liability insurance.

You do have to "get your feet" sometime if you intend to sell. Sometimes concentrating on ONE product can get one further than spreading your time over many. By doing so, you can get market and test opinions from trusted friends, family & coworkers. By taking things a little slower, you will foresee and avoid many potential issues which rushing to sell will not afford you. One poorly made candle and upset customer reflects badly on all home candle makers. There are many stories of a noob tainting the water in a small community for others who came after them... word gets around quickly, especially about problems. Don't think that all of your customers will come back to you with their issues - most will simply put the mouth on you and your products. As gossip grows, details are lost and one bad experience repeated often can cause unfair market impact on others.

Edited by Stella1952

Well due diligence is subjective. If testing everything on the market 3 or 4 times is due diligence than no I didn't. I knew what I wanted to do - create a soy candle that burns smoothly and evenly with no problem. My mentor gave me the 'basics' told me about the different wicks, the difference between them, how they perform and what they have found, so I ordered a lot of each. Then I knew I wanted to be without paraffin and palm, so I focused on soy. Some soy simply sucks, and the reviews tell me this, so I avoided them and picked four.

I tested four in every wicking combo I thought would work in an unscented candle. I had 190 wicks going at once the first night, knocked out quite a few of them and proceeded with the bests, then I poured 15 scents in each wax and burned them for throw, knocked out two waxes, and some of the wicking, then I went onto pouring the rest of the scents. I poured, cured, tested, powerburned, and re-tested. After 600-some candles I came up with 30 I liked how they performed and yes, it took 3 weeks to do. If this is insufficient, so be it, but I have around 2,500 single spaced pages of information including the viscosity of the FO v wicking, depth of the wax pool over time, height of the flame over time, time to edge, ambient temperature, temp on the bottom of the container, and what kind of flame it is producing. All this information was taken every 10 minutes, and graphed. I tested at ambient temps at 64º, 70º, and 74º. I also paired this with information I have from blankey, the cheep wally world ones, a few local companies and colonial. I've also mapped performance and found a sweet spot based on a few different factors, which is why I guess which one will work at first. As for performance over time, I don't really understand that, over the life of the candle or the shelf life? Shelf life is something I do not test, I personally won't sell a candle that is over 2 months old. If I pour an order and it isn't picked up or returned they are given away. The oldest candle I have now is around 4 years old, and was one I had at my first table at the show mentioned above.

The three week thing is not for everyone, and shouldn't be taken lightly but to assume a product is inferior because it didn't take months, or years to test is, well, bold. Candle science is not some new frontier, we have enough information on this board alone to come up with a system that will work, and with some super fine tuning and testing they could have a marketable product in just a week or two. It would take a decent amount of information gathering up front, and masses of meticulous testing run consecutively but it could be done.