Tilter - Layered Candles

For the angles, to make Layered Candles, some use rice, beans, sand...and some have made a tilter to hold your moulds...I have found a couple on here one by Scent Cellar and another by Soja who took the first design and made some different details to it. I was wondering if there is anything new on the market to use, or would it be beneficial to create one? :)

For up to 4 candles, I use big OxyClean buckets with sand. I also have an old wire book rack that has a perfect slant on the top that holds up to 12 candles at once. I can't see any advantage to buying something which can be easily fabricated at home...

Edited by Stella1952

I like sand because if I get messy, or a mold leaks, the sand quickly absorbs the spilled wax and stops the leak. To clean up, just scoop out the spill and you're all set to go again. One can mist the sand to make it more easy to tamp down and less likely to make a mess.

I just can't use food (rice, beans, etc.) for this purpose.

I can't see any advantage to buying something which can be easily fabricated at home...
That is exactly my point Stella :), since I have so much wood on hand I can make something from home...unless, I can buy it for cheaper than it would be for me to fabricate one... :)

My tilters are built so that I can vary my angles with a single push.
This was along the lines I was thinking Scented... :) have one device that I can use over and over, with different angles all in one machine.....easier to remove wax from wood or the like than diggin it out of rice or beans.... :)

I also have an old wire book rack that has a perfect slant on the top that holds up to 12 candles at once.

That sounds awesome, its another thing I was looking for, was to be able to make 10-12 at once and not have to wait for the cool down process so that I can add more product to my device. Ahhh well back to the old drawing board I guess :)

Wow Scented! That must really be a magic hat =)

Nah! I needed something that would allow me to make almost 8 3x3s look close to the same. If I ever have it redone, I think I want to be able to have the one angle I don't have, which is for it to lay flat, but this works for what I need it to work for and it's fairly easy to clean up. I just wish I could do up to 12 on the same gizmo, but I don't have the space for something like that as it is lol.

I have designed a "Tilter" that you can fit from 6 to 8 - 4" molds and a corresponding number of 3" and 2" molds on. After the final tilted layer pour, it lays flat for the final pour. I use polycarbonate tubing for the molds, which gets expensive for the 4" and 3" diameter. However, you can see the level of each layer you're pouring and the setup cooling. Not expensive to build the base unit, a 4'x8' sheet of OSB or plywood and as many sheets of 24" x 24" plexaglass as needed for the number of Tilters made. If anyone is interested , I can supply photos sometime soon.

J.Snow

My tilters are built so that I can vary my angles with a single push.

Only you and two other people (including Alan- he has my first design) have one- besides me of course lol. How are they holding up? Should last a while since they are all metal except the base. Still need something for votives? I have an idea for an "attachment" on your tilters to do votives. I just got a set of large hole punches and might be able to come up with something if you use the individual cups. I never did try to get a patent on my design. It's probably not worth the expense and paperwork to get one- not even a provisional patent. Maybe I should just start selling them. Seriously considering going into production lol. But since the price of metal has gone up alot over the past few years I'd have to charge more.