Show your storage pics

Ya, so I'm in need of organization over here. We have no rhyme or reason to our storage (while not making candles). I have a plastic sack (from the local grocers), a 5 gallon pail from Home Depot and a bed...

Any suggestions on storage containers (for molds, FO, etc...) would be awesome. Even more awesome would be pics

thanks

matt

Oh jeez. I've got a couple shelves I've made myself, a few of the plastic work storage shelves, a good sturdy work bench with shelving, molds are stacked in big crates (the polyurethane molds and the plastic 2 part molds), the metal molds are on their own shelves. I use shoe racks for on top of the work bench, mostly for colorant and assorted accessories. I also have a couple of those prefab tower type cabinets that I'm using for scent oils, ect. Had to add a couple shelves in there a couple weeks ago. I so need a bigger place. And to think I was running this out of a 3 BR apartment not long ago... :tiptoe:

I am very lucky, the previous owner of this house was a wine maker, I have tons of shelves and a kitchen complete with cupboards, dble sink and fridge and freezer just for my business.

Oh man - I only thought I was envious of the people with basements... adding you to my "dripping green with envy" list...

I took over my son's tiny bedroom when he flew the nest. I put a "desk" type shelf across one of the two built-in closets, then measured my metal molds and made an open "book shelf" to set on the "closet shelf to hold them all with extra room all around. Since my house has high ceilings, I put 12" shelving up all around the room for "way up high" storage of finished goods, containers, etc. I have all my wicking stuff in a Rubbermade 5 drawer thing, which sets perfectly on a wood chest of drawers. Tarts & votives fit in a smaller 3 drawer set. All my various lids, notes, wick tabs, etc. are stuffed into my Mom's old desk. I made another open shelf with slightly slanted shelves to hold miscellaneous pieces of glassware for testing, etc. that sits on the desk. I have a long headboard from a king sized bedset that I use to cool candles on. It has storage in it, where I keep more glassware & molds. I finished it off with my old trestle-style dining room table, covered with kraft paper, Prestos on metal trays, wax storage underneath. I have an old wire bookshelf I set on the table at the end to hold all my pour pots & dyes. The room will accommodate 2 skinny people to work both sides of the worktable. My son, a giant, is not allowed in there. Ever.

I didn't start out with all that stuff - it accumulated... so when I'd clean up and have trouble finding places for everything, I'd make another set of shelves, etc. I work "assembly line" style, so everything is stored in the "flow" around the room right by where it is used. I am very comfortable with what has evolved - it has a great work flow and I still have room for expansion - another closet & work table!

ok well here is mine....lol I have about a 10 x 10 room all for my candle stuff. This is actually clean and organized compared to what it was awhile ago :-) I still have som eboxes on the floor for shipping, bubblewrap and packing peanuts, etc. My old store sign is up top on the bookcases along with some boxes that I just don't have room for. It works for me and I am thankful to finally have a dedicated room where I can close the door behind me!

100_4067.jpg

100_4069.jpg

100_4070.jpg

One thing that I did this year that I'll share. I had an old filing cabinet that I was going to throw away. I had an inspiration and decided to use it to store FO containers. I figure that the drawers are designed to hold heavy files, right? So I took all of my pounders and labeled the top of the lid with the scent name. I put them in alphabetical order and put a label on the outside of the drawer "A-C" "D-G" and so on. You could also do scent categories if you prefer. I still keep my 5 pound bottles on shelves and 25 pound kegs on the floor but this has worked great for the pound bottles. I'm thinking of picking up another filing cabinet for some of my other heavy stuff. They are just so good for vertical storage and hold a lot in a small footprint. And with them being designed for a heavy load, they are perfect for this business.

Edited by deb426

We live in Florida...No basement. Very Little storage. I always hand wash my dishes. Never used my dishwasher. It's part of my storage. I lined the bottoms with cardboard cut to fit

and it fits all of my sample oils, a large bag of all of my wicking, Some of my 1lbders and all of my warning labels. My pantry and some of my cabinets and closets are bulging.

I came from a large 4 bd home with a huge basement I worked out of, everything I needed included a side by side refrigerator. Enough storage for an army. I love living here, but I miss my

basement/work area :((

ok well here is mine....lol I have about a 10 x 10 room all for my candle stuff. This is actually clean and organized compared to what it was awhile ago :-) I still have som eboxes on the floor for shipping, bubblewrap and packing peanuts, etc. My old store sign is up top on the bookcases along with some boxes that I just don't have room for. It works for me and I am thankful to finally have a dedicated room where I can close the door behind me!

CandyinVa, I noticed that you use an electric turkey fryer to melt your wax. I have one exactly like that but I actually use it for food. How does that thing work for you? I haven't used mine in a while but if my memory is correct the heating element on it is actually in the tank. Have you had any problems with burning the wax around the heating element, hope not because I was thinking about using mine for my wax but was afraid to burn it. How much wax does it hold?

Edited by CaftCandles

CandyinVa, I noticed that you use an electric turkey fryer to melt your wax. I have one exactly like that but I actually use it for food. How does that thing work for you? I haven't used mine in a while but if my memory is correct the heating element on it is actually in the tank. Have you had any problems with burning the wax around the heating element, hope not because I was thinking about using mine for my wax but was afraid to burn it. How much wax does it hold?

I'm not CandyinVa but alot of the forum members use turkey fryers. If you do a search, you'll find whole threads about it. The most important thing to remember with the turkey fryer is to melt some wax in your presto or whatever first, and then pour the melted wax in the fryer to cover the heating element before turning it on. If you don't do that, your wax will start on fire. After that, just never let the wax get below the lever of the heating element. I love my turkey fryer. And no, I've never had any problems with burnt wax.

My candle room is 16X24 complete with shelves and tables galore in my basement. If it wasn't such a mess right now I would take a pic for you. I love it especially since I started with storing my stuff in a tiny closet in a kitchen 6 years ago. Before we even started building our house we had the candle room figured out first, lol..

I'm not CandyinVa but alot of the forum members use turkey fryers. If you do a search, you'll find whole threads about it. The most important thing to remember with the turkey fryer is to melt some wax in your presto or whatever first, and then pour the melted wax in the fryer to cover the heating element before turning it on. If you don't do that, your wax will start on fire. After that, just never let the wax get below the lever of the heating element. I love my turkey fryer. And no, I've never had any problems with burnt wax.

Thanks deb426, as I said before until now all I ever used mine for was cooking food. I was just interested in using it for melting wax in smaller amounts for making tarts or special orders candles. Pouring already melted wax in the pot over the heating element is a good safety tip and I'm glade you pointed that out or else I would probably had burned some wax when I tried it the first time. I am glad to hear that everyone on here uses them and loves them, I will have to get mine out and dust it off.

20-25 lbs I would say

CandyinVA, 20 - 25 lbs is perfect for what I want to use it for. Thanks for the info.

I am very lucky, the previous owner of this house was a wine maker, I have tons of shelves and a kitchen complete with cupboards, dble sink and fridge and freezer just for my business.

Previous owner of our house was a photographer, what used to be his darkroom is my soap/candle space. I have storage, countertops, a double sink and what I thought was more room than I'd ever need. Silly me!

I can't post pics using my iPad so I'll attempt links to my space

http://http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1752613148470&set=a.1177311726294.22992.1633164276&type=3

And another

http://http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1752615828537&set=a.1177311726294.22992.1633164276&type=3&permPage=1

Oh, this was when we first moved in. It's much more chaotic now. LOL!

Edited by Faerywren