Heat Gun vs Hair Dryer

For the past 2 years when we had candles that needed touched up (on top) we have been using a hair dryer thinking "There's not a big difference then a heat gun." How freaking wrong I was!

Just bought one at Harbor Freight and what used to take me 2 - 3 minutes just took me utterly 5 seconds! YIPPIE!!!

So if your debating on this or use a hair dryer now, ditch it and go spend the $15 for the real deal =)

*Put this in Vegetable because we use soy, but could fit into the General area if the mod's so choose* =)

Another option is an embossing gun from Hobby Lobby or Michael's (with 40% off coupon, of course.) I've had mine for 10 years and it's still going strong. It is not variable temp, but comments I have seen is that most people don't use the upper temps anyway. It's compact and light weight. I also shrink wrap with mine.

Unless of course I become a super duper perfect candle maker
Hasn't happened to me yet - which is why I keep a heat gun around :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

I really want one of those little held-held propane torches. Those are even more wonderful than heat guns when it comes to quickly touching up a minor blemish with surgical precision. :smiley2:

quickly touching up a minor blemish with surgical precision. :smiley2:

Sounds like an awesome way to light your candles for test burning also. Hey perhaps we could stock those on our stall for those "hard to get to" wicks in tall jars :)

Yeah Stella I know they do as we currently have 4 of them in the house. Do you think however that I can find just one of them when I am about to light a candle? Not a chance! So up I go once again to the $2 store where I will buy another pack of two of the bbq lighters for $3.50 (in a $2 store), go figure....LOL

Another option is an embossing gun from Hobby Lobby or Michael's (with 40% off coupon, of course.) I've had mine for 10 years and it's still going strong. It is not variable temp, but comments I have seen is that most people don't use the upper temps anyway. It's compact and light weight. I also shrink wrap with mine.

I prefer the embossing gun over the heat gun because of it's light weight. (Mine died after 6yrs..bumber!!) The embossing gun produces all the heat I need.

Im still living in the dark ages.....using a hair dryer! I want a heat gun but am a bit confused about what to actually buy. Heat guns dont have a flame, right? I dont want a flame. Will a heat gun blow the melted wax everywhere? {my hairdryer wont, if its on a low blow setting and I'm very careful}. Richard, being from Aus, can you recommend which one does the job without the drama of flying melted wax?

I have an extremely high powered hair dryer- a T3. This sucker does the job great. I have a $40 heat gun that I never should have bought, but I keep it in case I ever need it for something. I never knew that my hair dryer would work so well. It is one of those ionic, hot dryers that runs for over $100 and lives forever. LOL! A regular hairdryer, well... I have never tried that. I will take everyone's word for it that the heat gun is much better than those.

Hasn't happened to me yet - which is why I keep a heat gun around :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

I really want one of those little held-held propane torches. Those are even more wonderful than heat guns when it comes to quickly touching up a minor blemish with surgical precision. :smiley2:

Oh that would really be dangerous, those torches are powerful. I use that for my basketry and have burned several baskets up!

those torches are powerful. I use that for my basketry and have burned several baskets up!

Gawd, I'll bet that's satisfying, especially if the basket is sucking... :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

When my concrete projects do not meet my approval, they end up in a pothole in the driveway where I take much joy from running over them with my truck. Repeatedly. Sometimes I even back up and do it again 'cause it feels so good. :naughty::bliss:

Okay, I did it. I just bought a heat gun from Harbor Freight. It was only $13.99. I thought the blow dryer was sufficient, but I got splattered in the eye for the second time yesterday, so no more! :-) Don't ask me how it shot all the way up to my eye, yet didn't get on the table....it's just my luck, I guess.

People forget eye protection when chandling. I am very myopic and frequently hang my glasses off my nose when peering at things close up. Not a smart behavior when dealing with stuff that can spatter. I once was pressing on the surface of a cooling palm wax pillar to check for voids right under the surface, and the wax suddenly caved and shot hot wax right onto my eye (because my glasses were down on my nose).

Picking hardened palm wax out of one's eyelashes is a learning experience.

Thank goodness for the blink reflex or I would have had ocular damage.

Best practice is to wear safety glasses when messing around with hot wax and don't look at stuff with your glasses out of position.

Gawd, I'll bet that's satisfying, especially if the basket is sucking... :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

When my concrete projects do not meet my approval, they end up in a pothole in the driveway where I take much joy from running over them with my truck. Repeatedly. Sometimes I even back up and do it again 'cause it feels so good. :naughty::bliss:

The woodstove works especially well for those baskets that are not looking so well!

I am a basket case!

Oh that would really be dangerous, those torches are powerful. I use that for my basketry and have burned several baskets up!
The one I have has an attachment on it that only allows the hot air to blow out. So I can touch up a very small spot with the surgical precision like Stella said. I paid around $25 for it at Walmart, and it uses the refillable butane that only cost a couple of dollars an can, and seems to last forever!

The one I have has an attachment on it that only allows the hot air to blow out. So I can touch up a very small spot with the surgical precision like Stella said. I paid around $25 for it at Walmart, and it uses the refillable butane that only cost a couple of dollars an can, and seems to last forever!

Any chance you can post a link for it? I've been looking and SO don't know what to get....