My new account

I snagged a wholesale account with private labeling, and just thought I'd share a picture of the first evening's work. The client chose the jars and scents, but I had creative license with color, so I went for it, as usual! Scents pictured are Acqua Di Gio dupe-Black, Coffee Caramel Cream-Brown, Hot Apple Pie-Light Red, Forbidden Fruit-Deep Red, LoveSpell dupe-Dark Fuschia, Berry Blast-Magenta, Eggnog-Yellow, Homemade Cheesecake- Light Yellow, Hazlenut Coffee-Dark Brown, Cinnamon Buns-Brown. We're only about 25% through this order, but I wanted to share. Vanilla Bean and Coconut Cake are already boxed. Best to you all.

post-12201-139458486882_thumb.jpg

Edited by B@BlissStreet

Wow, I'm still in the 1 lb-1 oz-1 pot phase, lol.

I am curious, though, how the rest of you do the whole cool-slowly-methods when you're doing such large batches. I put my 3 or 4 in my little countertop oven and that takes care of any problems to my tops. How the heck do you manage so many at once?:confused:

Beth,

I have a single pour wax. If I get the temp right, I don't have to mess with messy tops. Soy is a special lady(aka beotch), but I ran 5 pour pots tonight and it was fine. I just had to space them out for pour times. My big issue is I ran out of wick bars; I could have gone faster if I hadn't had to wait for those saviors! My arm/neck is injured, so I don't pour over a 3 lb. batch at a time, but I do have an assistant who is amazing (aka Boy Wonder) but he went bowling tonight, so I just did little 3lb's per batch. We'll kick a$$ and take names this weekend with the rest. Just don't freak; I only had two 4lb pots and one 2lb pot plus some pyrex as of Monday. I'm still learning, too. That's why I'm sharing...I'm not scared of anyone jacking me, as there is nothing there to gain! Winning! I'll be hosting a swap soon for tarts/wickless...hope you join in. It's a great way to learn what other's wax does.

Beth,

I have a single pour wax. If I get the temp right, I don't have to mess with messy tops. Soy is a special lady(aka beotch), but I ran 5 pour pots tonight and it was fine. I just had to space them out for pour times. My big issue is I ran out of wick bars; I could have gone faster if I hadn't had to wait for those saviors! My arm/neck is injured, so I don't pour over a 3 lb. batch at a time, but I do have an assistant who is amazing (aka Boy Wonder) but he went bowling tonight, so I just did little 3lb's per batch. We'll kick a$$ and take names this weekend with the rest. Just don't freak; I only had two 4lb pots and one 2lb pot plus some pyrex as of Monday. I'm still learning, too. That's why I'm sharing...I'm not scared of anyone jacking me, as there is nothing there to gain! Winning! I'll be hosting a swap soon for tarts/wickless...hope you join in. It's a great way to learn what other's wax does.

I use single-pours too......tell that to my candles! lol.. I'm experimenting with a few waxes right now. It does help to have an idea of what the others do. You can appreciate a quality in one over the other and then pick your poison ;) I've done a few with 6006 and appearance-wise, it's the best I've done thus far. That stuff makes gorgeous candles. Haven't tested them yet though. Fingers crossed...

I snagged a wholesale account with private labeling, and just thought I'd share a picture of the first evening's work. The client chose the jars and scents, but I had creative license with color, so I went for it, as usual! Scents pictured are Acqua Di Gio dupe-Black, Coffee Caramel Cream-Brown, Hot Apple Pie-Light Red, Forbidden Fruit-Deep Red, LoveSpell dupe-Dark Fuschia, Berry Blast-Magenta, Eggnog-Yellow, Homemade Cheesecake- Light Yellow, Hazlenut Coffee-Dark Brown, Cinnamon Buns-Brown. We're only about 25% through this order, but I wanted to share. Vanilla Bean and Coconut Cake are already boxed. Best to you all.

Wow, they are beautiful, congratulations!! Can I ask you a question? When you do a "private label order" do you brand with your name at all? Like a small clear label on the back or is it totally their product? I have not done any private label orders yet, only "custom labels" for some customers for birthdays, etc. Hope you don't mind me asking. Thank you!

I am curious, though, how the rest of you do the whole cool-slowly-methods when you're doing such large batches. I put my 3 or 4 in my little countertop oven and that takes care of any problems to my tops. How the heck do you manage so many at once?
This is one of the things that makes giving new folks advice so difficult... Typically they are pouring only a few candles (if that!) at once. Small batches are harder to control because they have such a small volume. Changes happen more rapidly. To me, it's far easier to manage and control a larger batch than it is only a candle or two. When spaced well, as B@Bliss said, the combined heat slows down the cooling... the only problem I have then is tops, which I simply throw a length of paper towels over the wicks to concentrate the heat a little and prevent the tops from losing the heat so much more quickly than the rest.
When you do a "private label order" do you brand with your name at all?

One is supposed to have a line on the label Mfg. by blah blah. The manufacturer's name is supposed to appear on the final product according to labeling laws. For example, if you read the fine print on the labels of Crabtree & Evelyn products provided to guests of Hilton hotels, you will find that another company manufactures these under license from Crabtree & Evelyn. HTH

B@Bliss, thanks for sharing your good fortune and also the wonderful pic of a load of candles cooling. Have fun pouring and pouring for your new account!

Edited by Stella1952

Thanks, everyone! This was just the beginning of the order; there are a total of 29 scents for this account. I had to take today off to wait for wicks to arrive and give my neck/arm a rest, but Boy Wonder will be here to help with the rest of the pouring.

Stella, thanks for fielding the labeling question. I know this is "small beans" to many, but I wanted to share for the new people who are intimidated about pouring large orders. It just takes some planning and organization. We have some wet spots, and some frosting, but I just accept it as a characteristic of the soy. The client wants big 2"x4" white labels, so I guess we can just cover the wet spots. LOL

I'll try to remember to snap more photos as we work this weekend.

The client wants big 2"x4" white labels, so I guess we can just cover the wet spots. LOL
Don't worry - the wet spots will move just to p*ss you off ROTFLMAO
We have some wet spots, and some frosting, but I just accept it as a characteristic of the soy.
I don't accept frosting, particularly right after a pour because it gets worse over time, but I have learned that the candles on the fringes of the group are more likely to suffer surface problems, etc. because they are not sheltered by the rest. I try to remember to take a little extra precaution for those...

I LOVE your post because it helps to illustrate that when you are pouring umpty ump number of candles, you cannot afford to obsess on a few that are less than perfect. There is a reasonable level of quality we shoot for and make a peace with the rest. Some of the "duds" I reserve for my own use. Some, I remelt & repour (larger candles, not votives!). Others, with less obvious flaws, I put on sale as "seconds." People are happy for the lower prices and don't mind the minor flaws to get a discount on a perfectly good candle which may have a teensy blemish. The point is not to let oneself get hung up because of minor imperfections in a few out of many.

I'm looking forward to your weekend pour pics - those should REALLY blow some minds!! LOLOL

Edited by Stella1952

post-12201-139458487024_thumb.jpgAnother batch from last night; Cherry Almond, Mountain Rain, Fresh Laundry, Peaches & Cream, Wild Cherry, Macintosh Apple, Blue Cotton Candy...and the dreaded Lavender. For some reason that one just makes my physically sick when I pour it, and it is far too cold to keep windows open. Only six scents left to pour, then this order is complete! Thanks for looking.

☮,

Brandy