Yes, Virgina, there is a triple scented candle

While researching whether Vybar raises melt point (it does not) of paraffin wax, I discovered an article which defines single scented, double scented and triple scented candle definitions. Yes, it is a real term and not just used by newbies.

Not saying this article is Gospel truth but I can now see and understand how the use of this term developed.

Industry standard for fragrance oil in candles is 3%, adding 6% makes it double scented, adding 9% makes it triple scented.

http://makingcandleseasy.com/candle-scent.html

Don't believe everything you read. Still a "wrong" term IMO.

Steve

As I stated, not saying this is Gospel truth but helps give some perspective to the term. You think it's wrong, others think it makes sense. Pesonally, I don't like the term but I no longer will view it as misused when I read it. It seems to have some basis, whether I agree with it or not.

I agree with Steve. I think Highly scented candle or maximum fragrance load better describes. We all know that different formulas of wax can only hold a certain amount of fragrance. Some candles made at 6% can throw stronger than candles at 9% or even 12%. It all depends on the wax and wick you use. Sometimes over fragrances candles will not smell at all. Ok..thats all of the rambling I am going to do....Now if I could get a good throw out of peach my day would be complete. But since I have been working on it forever I doubt that will happen.

Actually, that is how the whole triple scented marketing got started. It used to be industry standard to scent your candles at 3% with yester years waxes maybe 20 years ago. But todays waxes have come a long way and are manufactured and preblend to easily hold double and in some cases triple the amount of FO load as compared to the old waxes.

I am of the opinion that saying your candles are triple scented is misleading. Since todays waxes typically hold a FO load of 6% a true triple scented candle would have a fragrance load of 18% or more.

The only true triple scented candle to me is the three layered candles each with a different scent. I don't expect to find candles triple scented with 18% FO load nor do I want one.

Frankly people who pull this misleading marketing are full of crap!

Edited by Candybee

The one problem I see is that it is a subjective term. If you make a candle at 1% then you can call your candles at 3% "triple scented". It is not rooted in any established norm.

Steve

Edited by Wessex

Yep the ONLY true double or triple scented candles are those that are layered with different scents. The rest is just some lame chandler trying to blow smoke up some unsuspecting, (candle) undereducated customer's ass!! :cool2:

I understand the whole subjective point but its not what these people are about. Its not subjective if you are comparing your candles to mine or anyone elses and that is exactly what these people are doing or attempting to do. I call it deceptive not subjective marketing.

I use "highly scented" on all my candles. I think the "triple scented" is misleading and I know for me, I think triple scented means THREE scents in one candle. It's confusing and misleading to customers. Highly scented or highly fragrant is much better and self explanatory.

When I see the term "triple scented" I also think of layered candles rather than "highly scented". There is a store in my area that sells "triple scented" candles, and they are 3 layers of different scents, so up until a few years ago, that was my only experience with triple scented candles.

One of the problems I've come across is that there are just some consumers that flat out don't understand anything but "triple scented" in FO terms. I've done fairs where they demand triple scented candles or they flat won't purchase. So it becomes one of those "smile, nod, make a sale" things. And unless the customers understand the concepts of fragrance oil loads, saying stuff like that is very likely to leave you with a blank look.

This triple scented thing has been debated on messageboards for years. I tell people that my candles are scented with the highest amount that my wax blend will hold. And I explain fo loads etc. Honestly...I have never had a customer ask if my candles are triple scented. I also explain the difference between overloading the scent with the chance it will leak out over time...and the fact that 3 layered using different scents IS a triple scented candle. I tell them that it is all hype for some to say this trying to make people think their candles are better than another chandlers.

One of the problems I've come across is that there are just some consumers that flat out don't understand anything but "triple scented" in FO terms. I've done fairs where they demand triple scented candles or they flat won't purchase. So it becomes one of those "smile, nod, make a sale" things. And unless the customers understand the concepts of fragrance oil loads, saying stuff like that is very likely to leave you with a blank look.

Just tell them you will not disappointed in these candles. They are better than what you seek. (Unless, of course, they aren't. Then we gotta find something else to say.)

Just tell them you will not disappointed in these candles. They are better than what you seek. (Unless, of course, they aren't. Then we gotta find something else to say.)

Ain't that the frigging truth. Between the "triple scented" BS thing and the "Oh Yankee Candle is the best out there!" I seriously wonder why certain people try to go up to a candle maker at all. I sometimes think they're just looking to be negative.

Stopped into the booth of a local candle maker at a show... clearly thinking I was a customer, she told me that because she uses all natural FO, and twice the amount of oil that she should, that her candles are the strongest that are on the market! I smiled and nodded... really...? That is just lying! Her display banner even mentions that she uses 2x the recommended amount of FO...

I look at it this way - if their "triple scented" throws like crazy, who cares what they call it. If not, then they won't have repeat customers.

I've gone up to 18 percent on tarts. Man are they strong, but I would want to try and wick that.

Edited by EricofAZ

I think it is good to understand things from a customer perspective. They are not candle makers. They want a pretty smelling house. The wouldn't know what "wicking up" or a fragrance oil load is from a kumquat. Sometimes we get so wrapped up in our "art" yadda yadda yadda that we forget the customer experience...do I like the scent and is it strong? It is called marketing for a reason and we all fall for it every time we enter a grocery store and buy something new on a shelf. That link was to an article not tied to any supplier or vendor or seller (to my knowledge). It may very well be outdated with waxes of 20 years ago but your AVERAGE customer has no idea what the waxes were 20 years ago or what they are today. They do understand the term triple scented in the context of a candle site or candle label. I don't personally know any sellers who use this term but I have certainly read it on sites and label. I do not jump to the conclusion the sellers are liars.

Frankly people who pull this misleading marketing are full of crap!

Amen.

This is old stuff. Very old stuff. And meaningless.

Two stories:

I once did a show with a chandler who advertised her candles as "triple scented". I asked her what that meant. She didn't know.

I once had a customer ask if my candles were triple scented. I asked her if she knew what triple scented meant. She didn't.

People get this nonsense in their heads and it's hard to shake it out.

There are some folks who think triple scented means the candle has 3 separate scents poured in layers. Over the years, there have been quite a few discussions about this right here on this board.

To me, it means what its original intent was when the term was developed: Normal scent load x 3; i.e., 9% fragrance oil load.

Yes, even I, as an ignorant customer who knew nothing about making candles, thought it meant the fragrance was three times stronger, or that the candle contained three times as much fragrance.