USPS Regional Priority

KarenOH

For those shipping via Regional Priority...are you having boxes picked up at your home or do you have commercial addresses??

My post office told me that the boxes are strictly for corporate use...the info on the website makes it sound like they can be used by business or anyone who sells online.

I'm just a little confused!!

Thanks!!!

Karen

I do not get questions when using the regional boxes, but the post office and carriers know me well because I ship a lot. I just leave my packages on the truck with the carrier or I just drop them off on the counter of the post office and leave. Regional boxes are supposed to be just dropped off from what I understand- meaning that your postage was printed online and not purchased at the counter. I assume it is fine to use regional boxes with carrier pick up too.

Thanks everyone...so glad to hear that no one has had a problem with it.

It's a huge savings for a couple of new customers.

I went ahead and printed off my postage and scheduled a pick up at our family business rather than my house....we'll see what the carrier has to say about it!! :-)

Thanks again!!

Karen

I have to say I absolutely love the info I'm getting from you guys and gals. I hadn't heard of Regional Priority boxes yet. So anyone know if I would qualify to use it with my standard business shipping account through USPS? Or do I have to set something else up to get access to those rates?

Hmm, my local post office advised that I would have to schedule a pick-up for these regional rate... that I could not drop them off at the counter (like 30 feet from my house!) and I could not leave them for the normal carrier...go figure.

One of the things that is wrong with the post office...their regulations are not consistent from post office to post office. And then many times the employees don't even know the regs.

My new mail person is extremely nice. Been putting out priority boxes for her a lot lately...so we'll see how friendly she stays..lol! Forgot all about regional boxes; but these have all been small flat rate anyway.

Hmm, my local post office advised that I would have to schedule a pick-up for these regional rate... that I could not drop them off at the counter (like 30 feet from my house!) and I could not leave them for the normal carrier...go figure.

Send an email to usps.com ASAP. The info that you received does not seem reasonable. I no longer use carrier pick up because my letter carriers are flakes. They missed too many pick ups and delayed numerous shipments for me. For my sanity, it is best for me to drop off my shipments even though it is sometimes a pain to do. Most workers are polite and accept my packages without a word. Recently, I dealt with a total jerk of a carrier who rudely told me that I cannot leave my packages in the the back on of the trucks with a carrier- that I have to wait in line like every one else does. He said that I did not deserve "special treatment". WTH???? So, I contacted usps and they emailed me back the same day in support of me. I carried that email around for a month before I had to deal with that jerk again. I politely presented him with the email and told him that he should learn his job and take a course in customer service. I never had an issue with this jerk again. I also went into the post office and showed the entire staff this email- not to be mean, but to let them know of usps policies.

Edited by Noodle

The policy for USPS regional boxes stated on the website says you have to print your labels online(you will notice when you're signed in to your usps account, there won't even be counter price listed), and they have to be picked up by a carrier. You don't have to schedule a pickup, but you're not supposed to be able to take to a counter. Here they enforcd that religiously. :tiptoe:

I use the click n ship to buy my regional rate postage and always take my boxes to the post office. I like to see the boxes get scanned plus they give me a receipt. Most of the postal clerks are not familiar with the regional rate boxes as they always comment that they have never seen them before.

I find it hard to believe that you would not be allowed to simply drop off a regional rate box at any PO. Its already paid for and many PO's have a drop off counter you can just leave the box and go.

I use the click n ship to buy my regional rate postage and always take my boxes to the post office. I like to see the boxes get scanned plus they give me a receipt. Most of the postal clerks are not familiar with the regional rate boxes as they always comment that they have never seen them before.

I find it hard to believe that you would not be allowed to simply drop off a regional rate box at any PO. Its already paid for and many PO's have a drop off counter you can just leave the box and go.

I would not lie about this...I've tried it and they told me to leave with the box. I called on the phone, and they told me the policy for the reduced rate is "online only for printing the label, carrier pickup only for the reduced rate". You are very fortunate that your post office lets you get away with it. I'm sure others do to, but it's against their printed policy. I can't use the regional boxes until the fall now, because it's far too hot here to have pick up and have candle boxes sit in a hot truck all day, but when I do use them, I simply add them to my daily scan form online, print, put with the box(es), and the carrier scans the form and puts in my mailbox.:tiptoe:

I would not lie about this...I've tried it and they told me to leave with the box. I called on the phone, and they told me the policy for the reduced rate is "online only for printing the label, carrier pickup only for the reduced rate". You are very fortunate that your post office lets you get away with it. I'm sure others do to, but it's against their printed policy. I can't use the regional boxes until the fall now, because it's far too hot here to have pick up and have candle boxes sit in a hot truck all day, but when I do use them, I simply add them to my daily scan form online, print, put with the box(es), and the carrier scans the form and puts in my mailbox.:tiptoe:

I forgot...the post office DID tell me I could leave it off AT the post office - if I wanted to pay the additional charge for regular priority mail.

Restrictions

The USPS-produced Priority Mail Regional Rate Box must be used to qualify for Regional Rate Box prices. Priority Mail Regional Rate Boxes must not exceed the maximum weight requirements of 15 lbs for Box A or 20 lbs or Box B. If the box exceeds the maximum weight limit for the box type or is taken to a USPS Post Office for acceptance, Priority Mail weight and zone prices will apply. See Priority Mail Pricing.

:sad2:

I do not think that anyone thinks that you are lying Bernadette. I just think that the post office clerks do not know what they are supposed to do. Most of the time, I leave my packages with a carrier at the back of the building or I drop it off at the counter inside if no one is out back. I use three post offices, depending on where I happen to be going that day. I have never had an issue with leaving any prepaid package at the counter. Honestly, all of the workers seem pretty happy to just take my package because they do not have to do anything.

Sometimes, I am honestly astounded at the stories that I read on this board about postal workers. I never read anything like it with UPS or FEDEX.

Edited by Noodle

It seems to me the USPS would not care where you left it as long as it is paid, LOL. Seriously, why would it matter if you left it at the PO or gave it to your carrier? Weird. I actually have my first Regional Rate box sitting right here ready to go out. I need to buy some stamps, so might just take it with me to the PO and see what happens. I usually just leave my packages right here and the carrier picks up everyday. Never call for a pickup, they check in everyday, even if I have no incoming mail. Of course it seems everyday is a different carrier. UPS sends the same carrier everyday for the last year. I have actually seen her at the grocery store on her route when I am out shopping and picked up my packages there before, LOL. Love my UPS Lady!

Cheers,

Steve

Never call for a pickup, they check in everyday, even if I have no incoming mail. Of course it seems everyday is a different carrier.

WOW you are lucky! I have one main carrier who is pretty good. However, the other couple days a week, it is a crap shoot who is working. Only my regular carrier is good and I do not know when she is working or not. If she is on vacation, the service is terrible. My scheduled pick ups were completely overlooked. I have not used carrier pick up in nearly a year. Sometimes 4 days would pass with no pick ups AND I called the post office daily to see what the heck was going on. For me carrier pick up is a terrible service.

I didn't mean it to sound like you were lying Bernadette. I don't think that at all.

Seems that the drop off at the PO is a matter of whether or not they enforce their own rules or not. Mine doesn't so for the time being until I am told otherwise I will continue to drop off at my PO. If they decide to enforce I will just leave a pick up order. If they question me I have my biz license pasted on my front door.

Candybee- "i didn't mean it to sound like you were lying Bernadette. I don't think that at all."

I took your comment to mean that it should just be obvious to everyone that any postal employee should be able to take any mail, box, whatever, and take care of it for you. Not that it is hard to believe that your post office would not do it, but that it is hard to believe it is not standard practice.

One of the employees at my local PO has never heard of the regional rates and did not know what it was for. I guess they are not all briefed on the services unless they personally handle them.

Edited by EnvyCandles

I guess they are not all briefed on the services unless they personally handle them.

And this is the entire usps problem. No one seems to know what the heck to do and what is going on. The employees in the post office, (for the most part) are good. However, someone at the top is really asleep at the switch. Postal employees need to know their policies and servies.

My old post office -when I lived on Long Island, NY- was open 24 hours during the week and open until 11pm on Saturdays. :yay:

They employees there were always sooo great and knowledgable. No matter the time of day they were always busy. I used to work retail and when we got out at say, 2am during holiday season, the post office would always have about 5 people there, mailing stuff out...

My new post office is much much smaller and it seems the services are not all available.They also are not always available during the hours posted on the window...

:angry2:

No. The boxes are free. The online account for click n ship is free. The carrier pick up is free. You even get a free confirmation with your postage label print out. You only pay the regional rate postage.

I think the idea of the regional rate is to offer businesses another cheaper option for shipping that competes with UPS and Fedex. I must admit I love the regional rate boxes and use them almost exclusively since I found out about them.

I also love that you can add addresses to your account for repeat customers and theres an option to print out multiple shipping labels if you have more than one box.

I must admit I love the regional rate boxes and use them almost exclusively since I found out about them.

I love the Regional A box and use it A LOT. But my favorite is still the priority flat rate mailer. I can get a lot in that baby for a good price!