Vanilla Essential Oil for soy

I bought "vanilla oil" at the local essential oil supplier and it simply sank to the bottom of my pot and wouldn't blend. I called the supplier and he said since it had water and alcohol then, yup, it wouldn't work with soy. He didn't have any other vanilla oils that would work, except for FOs (which is not what I am looking for).

I don't want to make another costly mistake like that. What type of Vanilla I should look for?

Thanks for the responses. I'm not positive there is something out there that will mix with soy, but I had been googling this a bit and I keep hearing about Vanilla CO2 distillation. I wasn't sure if this is the one that will mix ok with soy.

edited to add: I see what y'all are saying that Vanilla doesn't come as an essential oil. Seems I am looking for something Vanilla to scent the soy wax that is not a synthetic oil like the usual fragrances oils.

Most of my local market is requesting soy candles scented with anything besides FO, and they will pay whatever. And I don't mind trying to make, and just when I think I've got something nailed down, I realize there is so much more to learn!

Edited by jonsie

These guys have a vanilla EO. http://www.newdirectionsaromatics.com/vanilla-oleoresin-10-fold-p-367.html

You could ask them if it is soy compatible. I know other EOs are. Also, I make my own vanilla oil. I put the beans in RBO and let them sit for a few weeks. I have used it in candles with peppermint. You can smell the vanilla softly, not a knock your socks off smell but people who are asking for natural usually know this. Not sure how it smells on its own. Definitely worth a try.

Jonsie, sorry I know you posted this awhile back. Do not visit much these days.

Is this supplier the one you visited recently? I to am unhappy with the eo's I bought from them, I did not smell before I bought, and not happy at all, some of them smell nothing like the origin of the oil.

I would not buy from new directions as suggested, your new supplier buys thier oils from them.

I have bought the most devine eo vanilla oleoresin, (vanilla planifolia) from sydney essential oil company. I think it was quite pricey from memory. They do have a minimum order of $220 and I like some of thier eo and others not so much, but the best supplier that I have found in recent years. I have used it in b and b products but not candles.

As you are a registered business you have to contact them and they have cheaper prices for you.

Also, I make my own vanilla oil. I put the beans in RBO and let them sit for a few weeks. I have used it in candles with peppermint. You can smell the vanilla softly, not a knock your socks off smell but people who are asking for natural usually know this. Not sure how it smells on its own. Definitely worth a try.
Thanks for the tip. I have plenty of RBO for making soaps but I have never blended it with soy wax for candles. I'll have to give it a try.
Jonsie, sorry I know you posted this awhile back. Do not visit much these days.

Is this supplier the one you visited recently? I to am unhappy with the eo's I bought from them, I did not smell before I bought, and not happy at all, some of them smell nothing like the origin of the oil.

I would not buy from new directions as suggested, your new supplier buys thier oils from them.

I have bought the most devine eo vanilla oleoresin, (vanilla planifolia) from sydney essential oil company. I think it was quite pricey from memory. They do have a minimum order of $220 and I like some of thier eo and others not so much, but the best supplier that I have found in recent years. I have used it in b and b products but not candles.

As you are a registered business you have to contact them and they have cheaper prices for you.

Very interesting info, Deena, thanks for the post. I probably contact them by phone and ask them if they use alcohol or water in their vanilla. And we'll have to compare experiences with our eo supplier, pm on its way :)

• 2 months later...

I'm back to give an update. I submitted a question about a natural vanilla for soy to Essential Wholesale and they said that they didn't know of a good one to use, however they suggested trying Peru Balsam essential oil since it smells like vanilla. So I purchased some yesterday along with some Benzoin essential oil because it also smells like vanilla and works in soy too.

I have to admit, they both have vanilla notes to them. I find that the Peru Balsam has a bit of a fruity note too, but its not too strong. The Benzoin just has the vanilla note, imo.

I thought I'd start with a blend of the two so I added 2.5% of each and they are now curing. The problem is one of them is making my head spin. I think it's the Benzoin and it's hard to tell right now, but which ever one it is, I won't be using it again. It reminds me of the one time I took prescription asthma meds for walking pneumonia, and I felt super spacey and amped up, but not in a fun, recreational way, lol!