Guides....

Can anyone recommend some really good guides. I am new to this whole hobby and really need to do A LOT of reading and studying. I found some pretty good ones on cajuncandles.com but would like to read a few others from different authors to get more than one perspective. Thanks in advance!

There are a few "make yer own candle" books at Amazon and in the library. You might find one or two at your local hobby store. I'd recommend finding the books that talk about safety and different kinds of wicks and testing and waxes. Most of the books will give you some ideas on how to make the candle and get the colors set up in a way that is attractive. I don't know of any book other than this forum that will get you to an intermediate or advanced level.

Many of the supplier websites have information for you to absorb.

Natures Garden has a big candle making manual if I remember correctly :)

April H

Natures Garden has a new website April so it's not in the form that it was back then. lol I know you from another board too. You did a butter co op for us. And you gave us a delicious pumpkin cheesecake recipe. :)

Anyway...if you go to their website and down the left column on the main page...click on candle support and it brings up a lot of categories where you can read a TON of information.

Glad to see you back...it's been a few years.

Maggie...aka Linda M.

I have several candlemaking books but the most information I have found on making candles has been on these forums.

Lots of great information right here on these boards. Plus lots of gold nuggets in the archives section. If you browse through the archives section you will find instructional 'how to' links on the left hand side for basic candlemaking and candlemaking techniques. They are part of the original Candletech board Alan at Peak's started that our Craft Server board was born from.

If you decide to get some books on candlemaking make sure you check the print date so you know the book is current. There have been many changes in the waxes, wicks, FOs, etc in the last couple of years so you want a very up to date book. The books I have are now out of date but have interesting pix of different types of candles and candlemaking techniques that are still useful today. I get some ideas from looking at the pix but a lot of the written candlemaking instructions are out of date.

Edited by Candybee

The thing about Bob Sherman's book is that it isn't like the typical books. It covers all the aspects, gives you b&w pictures, a chapter on formulating and rates the projects covered. Going to say that there are some projects in there that you should think about making with wax substitutes instead of the real thing. A fun, fun, fun book is The encyclopedia of Candlemaking Techniques. Unless you're going for cut and curl, I wouldn't waste $ on the other books unless you want inspiration from what you see inside.

You should be able to find that book on Amazon or Ebay too.

Edited by Scented

I also purcahsed numerous books and made trips to the library but I have to be honest, I could have saved money by just reading the forums. There is a wealth of knowledge from the other members and tons and tons of info from the new and old forums that you can read for days on end. The difference also is alot of the subjects have pics of peoples projects which is also inspiring. You can always ask questions here and for the most part they will be answered nicely and you will be turned in the right direction.

Tina