I've been to several oceans and mountains but no idea what they smell like.

I'm being funny and serious at the same tim

I've been to the Pacific and Atlantic. I've been to Nantucket and Florida, and England and Spain, Hawaii, Virginia Beach, California, etc. I've been to the OCEAN!!! I've been in a number of mountains, Rockies, Appalachians, Smokies, Alps, Ural and and others I can't remember. I've been to the MOUNTAINS.

They all smell just like air to me. No different than when I walk out my front door here in the Midwest. What salt scent from the ocean spray? What fresh mountain air? Do I just have a horrible sense of smell? There is a post right now about someone wanting mountain cabin scents, I've read other posts debating which FO has the most realist salty ocean notes.

I have Salty Sailor from Daystar, Sea Kelp from Aroma Haven, Ocean from Peaks, Ocean Breeze from Candle Science and Sea Mist from Candle Science. I've put all of them in wax. None smell like "the ocean" to me, then again, to me, the ocean has no scent unless it has dead fish or seaweed floating en masse.

I disagree about being near the ocean. I know when the sea is near because I can smell the difference in the air. Of course, you definately can smell the salt marshes and tidal mud flats, they are not "fresh ocean" scents, LOL. But I do not find those smells bad at all, but not something a customer would want in a candle! But as far as the coastlines, I can definately smell when they are near. Not as strong as some of the ocean scents, though.

Cheers,

Steve

I spent a lot of years at sea as a helicopter pilot/mechanic on the tuna purse seiners. Sometimes at sea for 90 days at a time or more.

The fragrance Rain did remind me of rain at sea.

There is no real way of describing what the ocean smells like, except to say it has no smell at all (except a bit saline ish). However, there are parts of the ocean that do smell. The ocean with a net full of tuna fish, smells like tuna fish.

Also, and this may be part of the problem, the ocean stops smelling like ocean when we get near land. Land, at first, smells like a garbage dumpster. I could smell our approach to Panama and Puerto Rico and various island nations long before I could see them.

Like candle nose, the smell fades and then I don't notice any more.

So for folks who live in the city and go to the beach there's "ahhh, smell that fresh air." For the folks who are out at sea and sail into that same beach area there's "ewwww, who forgot to take out the rotten eggs in the trash?"

I think it would help you more to think about the sites and scents of the local flora when you visit each. The ocean and mountains definitely carry scents that remind me of them.

I can smell the salty ocean breeze and the local beach grasses and flowers. When I go to the mountains like the Redwood or Sequoia forests, the Shenandoah Blue Ridge, Rockies or Sierra I can smell pines and redwoods, douglas firs, spruce, tree sap, tree bark, etc. Then theres the forest floor full of ferns, mushrooms, fallen logs and pine cones definitely have a distinctive fragrance added to the air.

Just like when I visit the dry desert areas or canyons like the Mojave, Southwest, Zion, Grand Canyon, I can smell the castus, cactus flowers, sandstone, dry powdery earth and soil, flowers and grasses that add to the air.

Its these scents that remind me of those places. I can't think of any place that I visit that would not have a scent or two that reminded me of the area.

HTH

Just like when I visit the dry desert areas or canyons like the Mojave, Southwest, Zion, Grand Canyon, I can smell the castus, cactus flowers, sandstone, dry powdery earth and soil, flowers and grasses that add to the air.

Sage! I smell sage bushes out here alot!

For me, when I drive down to Cape May on the Jersey Shore...you can smell the salt marshes like steve said. I always take a big whiff because I know Cape May is close and I'll soon be in the hotel and on the beach lol.

I'm from PA (North East) we have no water here... But, We lived in DE (Rehoboth beach-btw debratant we can see Cape May from Rehoboth Boardwalk lol) for 5yrs and I can tell the difference. When we moved back to PA from DE I kept thinking omg it stinks!!! It took me awhile to get use to the stink of "normal" air again :/ Sooo ready to move back!!! lol

Oh lord I know what you mean! Moved to the country from DC. I love the clean air here. Hate taking trips into DC because I can smell the horrible exhaust fumes from all the traffic. Its hard for me to believe I lived in that city for so many years and breathed that toxic air! Ghastly!!

Oh lord I know what you mean! Moved to the country from DC. I love the clean air here. Hate taking trips into DC because I can smell the horrible exhaust fumes from all the traffic. Its hard for me to believe I lived in that city for so many years and breathed that toxic air! Ghastly!!

I don't live anywhere near anything like DC or Philly, Actually up in the Poconos which is mostly Mountains & Trees but it's just not the Ocean, it does stink... Like the air really has no where to go and have something fresh taking it's place... It's just HERE. Ugh We're going back to Rehoboth in about 3 weeks. I can see it already. I'll be getting all excited once I start smelling the sludgy/swampy parts cause I know we're closer lol

I don't live anywhere near anything like DC or Philly, Actually up in the Poconos which is mostly Mountains & Trees but it's just not the Ocean, it does stink... Like the air really has no where to go and have something fresh taking it's place... It's just HERE. Ugh We're going back to Rehoboth in about 3 weeks. I can see it already. I'll be getting all excited once I start smelling the sludgy/swampy parts cause I know we're closer lol

Rehoboth has Grottos to blend into the sea air. LOL!

But there is a subtle scent difference in locations. I live in the suburbs in DE and when I go to the Poconos it is a much more "earthy" scent and when I go to the beach I get the "salt & sand" aroma.

Rehoboth has Grottos to blend into the sea air. LOL!

But there is a subtle scent difference in locations. I live in the suburbs in DE and when I go to the Poconos it is a much more "earthy" scent and when I go to the beach I get the "salt & sand" aroma.

Oh I know!!! They have some good pizza :) Oh it's earthy alright lol I'm stuck right in the middle of all those mountains. Which I guess is good, We had sightings of 5 tornadoes two days ago but only one was able to actually touch down, most likely due to the mountains since they are everywhere.

I think it is your nose. Definitely can smell different air in my part of Florida. Sometimes the marsh flats really stink! But the cleanest air I ever smelled was right after Hurricane Charley beat the living crap out of us. Swept everything away and it was the most beautiful night ever. Until I got close to home, then all I could smell was crushed trees and vegetation. I'll never forget that smell either.