Why are these lx series wicks mushrooming so hard!!!!

:shocked2: WOW!! Now THAT'S a 'shroom! :shocked2:

Does this happen with:

1. all fragrances in all different containers

2. only this fragrance in all different containers

3. all fragrances in this container

4. only this fragrance in only this container?

What's the diameter of that container at the top?

How long did it burn?

How long was the wick before burning?

Gotta admire that one... I hope all the folks wailing and obsessing over little bitty buds of 'shrooms read this thread so they know what a REAL 'shroom can look like...

This site isn't Wedo, but it does offer some observations on wick stands, their causes and solutions...

http://www.technische-geflechte.de/site/english/about-the-wick/typical-wick-stands.html

Me - I'd use a CD or CDN... I've never achieved a 'shroom like that with them!

Edited by Stella1952

Indeed hard to answer the question without me info but LX wicks and soy weren't a good match up for me. I never got a mushroom like that but close. HTP wicks solved the mushrooming for me is soy but I am now going to try the CD wicks.

@Stella - great website link, very helpful

:shocked2: WOW!! Now THAT'S a 'shroom! :shocked2:

Does this happen with:

1. all fragrances in all different containers

2. only this fragrance in all different containers

3. all fragrances in this container

4. only this fragrance in only this container?

What's the diameter of that container at the top?

How long did it burn?

How long was the wick before burning?

Gotta admire that one... I hope all the folks wailing and obsessing over little bitty buds of 'shrooms read this thread so they know what a REAL 'shroom can look like...

This site isn't Wedo, but it does offer some observations on wick stands, their causes and solutions...

http://www.technische-geflechte.de/site/english/about-the-wick/typical-wick-stands.html

Me - I'd use a CD or CDN... I've never achieved a 'shroom like that with them!

This happened with two different containers and two different FO's and Two different waxes. The tumbler is 3 inches across and im using the LX 26 with ecosoya CB-135 ( no additives or CO. One ounce per pound of FO. Burned for about 4 hours. and the wick was probably half inch long. WHAT WICK WOULD YOU GUYS SUGGEST??

If it's any consolation, I started testing LX a week or so ago and I'm seeing the same humongous mushrooms. After the first burn, I trim it way back and subsequent burns don't produce those huge things. Since I can't be sure customers will trim those nasty things, I've decided I can't use LX.

Too bad, really. There are a couple of sizes that fill the void left by HTP. But I'm not using something that looks like this.

And btw, I use paraffin, so it's not just a vegetable wax issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Southwest has some sizes. Right now, we don't have a good US supplier for CDNs. CDs are the same wicking as CDNs except they do not have the treatment applied to them. If you can't find CDNs, try CDs. Lone Star carries a very full range of sizes for CDs.

I couldnt find the southwest website but look how expensive they are on lonestar!

Try shopping suppliers. It only took me a few moments to locate a less expensive price here:

http://www.thecandlemakersstore.com/category/wicking.pretabbed_cd/

If you don't know of many suppliers, check out this link right here at CT:

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?5492-Supplier-Abbreviations-and-Links

If you want even lower prices, order from WickIt or Wicks Unlimited. Of course you have to order thousands at a time, but that's the way it is.