Have your sales come to a grinding halt?

Suddenly, I'm very worried. I'm noticing my friendly competitors are having sales and offering free shipping every other day (internet or etsy sites). No doubt, to get any type of orders in and cash flow. I also notice this in my own neighborhood with pizza parlors, nails salons, dry cleaning, etc. Everybody is doing sales and discounts to keep cash flow coming in. Signs have popped up everywhere the past week or two announcing "specials."

I know it's gas and food prices and our items (tarts) are not necessities.

Have you noticed? Any thoughts?

Edited by AlwaysWondering

Actually spring sales start picking up now. I know I am getting more orders and the spring craft shows and markets just started in my area. Just got an order in for 3 cases of candles today plus I have an appointment tomorrow with one of my accounts who want to buy some spring candles. So hang in there sales should get better.

March trickled by for us but April going decent.... It seems when our candles fall off, our glassware and supplies pick up some and vice versa =) I do have to say online has fallen off a bit (Etsy) but I have to say it's my fault for not keeping up on new listings and all that fun stuff.... Our website seems to just be "there" but we have had a few wholesale orders from it and some retail... We could always use more, right? =)

Best of luck and I do agree with Vicki, tax time, horrible economy, rising gas prices, etc could all be factors =) Maybe you should have a sale LOL =)

I dont sell anything yet but I have noticed the restaurants in my area are all advertising outrageous specials..both, sit down places and fast food. I guess rising fuel prices and the economy in general is effecting all businesses right now.

I have a hair accessories shop on Etsy, haven't started the tarts/melts yet. March was really strong and April has been a little slower. I think it was that way last year too. I'll have to check my reports. Then May and June were really strong again. I hope it picks up for you.

I quit trying to figure out when people buy..:rolleyes2

When I think it's going to be a good month, it sucks.

When I think I will have a bad month, it rocks...

So I just take it as it comes. :cheesy2:

If sales are really slow and I need more income, I run a big internet sale. I notify my customers via newsletters and post my sale on my FB Page. That usually generates sales for me..

My P&L is showing sales to be about the same +/_ for me so far this year. So all is good.

April is traditionally a very good month for me; usually one of my best, next to December, of course.

BUT...this month has been slow as molasses. There's all kinds of construction around where my store is and it's hampered business badly for the last 6 months or so.

That said, last week turned out quite well. The week before was pitiful.

In spite of last week being good, I'm down for the month compared to last year and the year before.

Like islandgirl said, there is simply no way to know what the next day will bring. If there were a way to know, we'd all be rich.

I have been slow for the past 2 weeks or so and I expect it. It always happens when the taxes come around. I will pick up this weekend with upcoming Mother's Day business. It has been this way for 15 years. Some things never change.

I 've had my business closed for 2 years, still undecided I chose a soft open at the beginning of March with a full open March 23rd. I've maintained contact with my 2 largest retailers over the last few years and they ordered as soon as they knew I was pouring. I've also decided to do local stores which I haven't done in years. Everybody is cutting back it seems...I notice most at my hair salon, their manicurist went from 6 days a week to 4....my husband is getting all these free magazines, even Martha Stewart Living is sending out freebies...I'm reading free OK magazines. I think if spring is bad the summer will be awful...it usually is, I could always gauge how bad business was in the summer by when I Would see my first pumpkin or candy corn candle...usually around august. I don't know where you are geographically but go outside the box and do a flea market or candle/soap yard sale. Our yard sale ads are free in our newspaper. I also always send my son tarts for his office and next thing I know I'm emailing my scent list and my son went into my photobucket pix and his co-workers bought tons of soaps and candles. All those tart warmers I thought I would never get rid of are going with me to NYC. Look outside of your box ( that sounded dirty) but get cheaply creative....My only wish is to finish this year in the black and not the red...Sincerely it's hard everywhere and we have teachers being laid off left and right here, it's unbelievable.

Candles aren't a necessity & traditionally sales drop in the warm months - people get outside more & only the candle addicts continue to buy. There's a theory to business that you can always drop your price, but it's hard to raise price, so 'sales' are the quick fix to increase profit. This is where you have to decide if you want to continue holding your price on principal. You can sell your product based solely on the math, or you can offer a lower price to increase sales & make up/increase the difference in volume. An inferior product will destroy itself, but a bad economy allows those w/ a true business savvy to rise to the top. Think about the things that are important to you & really analyze why you buy one brand over another. Where do you draw the line between price & quality? Brand loyalty has to be earned, so is it more important to continue selling to the same people at the same price, or is better to offer a discount to increase your volume? Think about what you buy & why you buy it - if you can't figure out how to sell it, then how can you expect someone else to want to buy it?

Susan.

Last December, I raised my prices by $1 on my 8 oz masons and 6 oz wickless tureens. I just did it on a whim, with no planning.

I do still offer the old price to my long time customers.

if you can't figure out how to sell it, then how can you expect someone else to want to buy it?

What a great statement!

As far as summer sales, I think that's where wickless really fill a need. I have some customers who refuse to buy wickless because they want the flame, but most people just want the scent.