Craft Fair Question

sbs

Do you use electricity to market your candles at craft fairs.. like for a candle warmer or do most of you do without electricity just let them smell the cold throw? I know a warmer doesn't represent the throw of a candle but is it good for marketing tarts and bringing people to your booth? Or has anyone noticed a difference?

Are you selling tarts and want to sell warmers too? When I sell tarts and warmers then I may decide to get electricity to melt a sample tart. Its not really necessary to sell them its more of preference. If you think you'll sell more bring it. I've sold tarts with and without using electricity for a warmer and sold just as many both ways. Definitely outdoor shows I would not ask for electricy as the scent from the warmer is gonna dissapate in the wind.

At some holiday shows I bring extra lighting like Christmas lights. Occasioanlly some indoor shows have poor lighting so you may want to bring lighting.

Or in the summer doing an outdoor show you may want to bring an electric fan.

Definitely outdoor shows I would not ask for electricy as the scent from the warmer is gonna dissapate in the wind.

I have an outdoor spot at a craft show coming up in a couple weeks. I won't have an enclosed display and will be sitting out in the elements unprotected but I will have electricity. I was thinking of taking a tart warmer and melting some tarts, however I didn't think it would serve it's purpose being that I wouldn't have a tented display.

Are you selling tarts and want to sell warmers too?

Yes. I was just trying to see if anyone noticed it making a difference in sales. If it doesn't make that big a difference I do not want to pay for it. I've seen it range from $5.00 to $50.00. I don't mind paying $5 but $50? No way, especially if its outside (good point).

Thanks you guys!

To be honest with you, the only reason I use electricity is for my register, lights or decorations or to show how the melters light with a bulb. I NEVER melt the melts (lol) I the melters because the HT would be too strong. I see scentsy reps melting about 4 different scents in their warmers and you can barely smell them. My CT is strong enough, I wouldn't want my customers to be overwhelmed with one of my scents. I put the cubes in the melters but do not melt them at all... Unless you really need to plus something in, or unless the fee is minimal, I would not pay for it! :cheesy2:

I see more jewelry booths using lighting for their necklaces and rings, or photography lighting. Or if you have mostly electric candle type products. These ppl generally get electric to light up. For myself, I only get electric occasionally. Most the time don't need it. I have candles I can light if need to (and sometimes I do!):smiley2:

I see more jewelry booths using lighting for their necklaces and rings, or photography lighting. Or if you have mostly electric candle type products. These ppl generally get electric to light up. For myself, I only get electric occasionally. Most the time don't need it. I have candles I can light if need to (and sometimes I do!):smiley2:

Wow, I have not seen a show that allowed an open flame! Nice!

I've done 2 outdoor shows where I could light candles. It really helped my sales. I didn't light it at the beginning of the show...maybe around 11:00. A guy and his wife walked by and they backed up and he said...what IS that wonderful smell. He bought 2 candles in that scent and then called me after he burned those and ordered 20 more. Unfortunately both of the shows are no longer held.

I used my tart warmer at a Christmas show. I can't say it upped my sales but I did get a lot of compliments about how good it smelled in the building. It's a small show so the cost was only $5.00 for a 2 day show.

If it is a big indoor show I get electricity for my cash register and lights to show off my product. Overhead indoor lighting can be very poor. These are usually 2 or 3 days shows.

For one day inside and outdoor shows I use a deep cycle marine battery to run my cash register and laptop that has a slide show on it showing my goaties and soap making etc since I keep running into people that won't believe I actually raise and milk goats and then make soap. The battery is great. I have it on a little dolly and just roll it wherever I want it and I use an inverter and plug everything in. When I get home I just plug the battery charger in and charge it back up. Deep cycle batteries are the only kind you can do that with over and over.

I've never used electricity b/c most of the times it is about 25.00 more. I don't use extra lighting or a cash register so it's really a waste of money for me. As for warmers for tarts, never done that either and it doesn't seem like it's impacted my sells in a negative manner. Last show I did last month I sold over 100 tarts so that's pretty good for me. I have a show this coming Sat that I will have electricity only b/c there was no charge for it so I plan on plugging in a warmer with some tarts. We'll see if that makes any difference at all, but, I'm not expecting to sell over 100 tarts as this one will be much smaller than the last show. It's just a spring craft fair in my area of town and the booth fee was cheap. From the vendors that will be attending I am the only candle person aside from Scentsy. I always get the evil looks when they are at a craft fair I'm attending, but, whatever they can give me all the evil looks they want as I sell the pants off them!! :P

I wouldn't be without it. I gladly pay the $50 for the weekend at the shows I have that charge it. But when I started doing the melts and having melted wax my sales really zoomed compared to without the scent in the air. I use Creme Brulee since it is my biggest seller and always bring an extra 100 melts and about 10 cases of my 16oz jar and rarely go home with a single piece of that scent.

I don't use the tart melter though. Because of high ceilings and air conditioning, etc I use a crock pot with 1.5# of scented wax. It's fun to see people come around the corner with noses in the air tracking down the scent.