New to the Candle Making Biz

mmcgregor

I have been reading this forum for several days now and there's a ton of great information here....so much so I'm getting cross-eyed and all the information is running together. So I figured I'd start a thread with my questions and am hoping for more great information to weed through :)

So here goes. I currently work a normal job and have been with the same government agency for 12 years, but like so many others I'm looking for business ideas and have always wanted to work for myself. I've tried several things over the years like MLM with different companies and those just didn't pan out like I'd hoped, so now I'm looking at other options.

I'm very interested in starting a candle business from my home, but I'm at a loss of where to start really. I live in the Dallas/Ft Worth metroplex in Texas and I have a ton of questions, so here goes:

1. How do I go about getting started? I've never made a candle in my life other than when I was in school.
  2. What liabilities are there once the product is sold?
  3. What pieces of advice and instruction can you give to a completely green candle maker?

I have started researching suppliers and luckily there is a supplier, Lone Star Candle Company which isn't far from me at all, so I can actually go there to get my supplies and not have to pay shipping. I will only be starting with 2 sizes of candles in mason jars and about 10 fragrances, maybe less fragrances at first. I know for sure I will be including a wood wick line in the beginning as well as regular wicked candles.

I look forward to the responses....any and all assistance, advice and help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

MM

Since you are close enough to Lonestar I'd stick with them. In my opinion, if you will be using their products I would follow their directions. That way you have a single source to learn the basics and Lonestar should be able to answer any questions based on their information. Later, if you run into any problems, you have this forum.

I would do a search here on the insurance issue - there a few sources you can go to.

Be prepared to spend a couple of years building a following. Are you hoping to replace your full time job with income from a candle business? If yes, lots of proactive sales will be needed on your part. Craft fairs, website, home parties, approaching local schools with fund raisers and then having the time to make the stock to fulfill all those orders! Build an email list. Also, expect to invest a couple thousand dollars, for sure. Maybe one thousand if you start small. Jars, wax, fragrance oils, wicks, equipment like scales, thermometers, measuring cups, paper towels and melters etc, dyes, labels, packaging, websites, printer. There is lots of testing and waste. You need a lot of room for everything.

I agree with previous poster. Make a shopping list to get started and start buying your candle making supplies. Wouldn't worry too much about mailing packaging or labels or websites until you have a candle you are proud of.

I don't make candles, only tarts, but my head does spin when I read about pouring temps, how much oil (more is not better because wick can't take it up???), types of wicks, wicking up???, repours, etc.. Does Lone Star have a starter kit?

For candles, if you are selling at craft fairs or home parties, cold throw is as important as hot throw. I never really thought about that until recently.

Apply for a state business license and find out about your retail sales tax laws. Paypal account.

Check out the competition, websites, etc. Get a feel for styles, jars, scents, prices, labeling. I think as long as you have warning labels on your candles, you're ok but I'm not sure. I'm sure a lawyer will want you to have some kind of liability insurance but I doubt most home based chandlers carry that. I could be wrong. Of course, disclaimer on the web site is also helpful. esty.com has many home made candle makers, good place for research. So is candelfind.com. Read the forums for insight into customers. Vendors are not allowed to post.

This is probably all very basic but hopefully helped a little.

Most of all, you have to love it.

Edited by AlwaysWondering

My best advice is if you do not love this do not even consider this as a business.

I would also get a kit to see if this is really something you can see your self doing day in and day out this is not for everyone.

Next perfect one thing at a time you are already getting in over your head by saying you are going to have a wicked line and a wood wick line two different animal and they do not work the same.

You will need insurance.

If you are just looking for an extra income you picked the wrong thing to get in to you would be better off selling someone else's candles.

I say this with the best of intentions it is like me and sewing I love to sew I am really good at it, but I can not see myself sewing enough to make even extra income out of it. It would drive me crazy and soon I am sure I would grow to hate sewing. So I have kept that just as a hobby that I sometimes sell. If that made sense.

earn extra money! ha ha! right away??!?!?! no way. I have been doing this many years now. Let me just tell you it was a few years before I started selling and one of those years alone I spent over $4,ooo on supplies for testing

I don't mean to be negative in anyway. You certainly can do anything you put your mind to, but, this is not easy by any means. It will take lots of supplies, attempts and failures, money, time, patience, research, and some talent too. It takes passion to make candles and b&b. I am with the others, get a kit. Try it. If you become so obsessed with it you can think of nothing else, then consider crafting and perfecting before making money.

Edited by tlc26

I have been reading this forum for several days now and there's a ton of great information here....so much so I'm getting cross-eyed and all the information is running together. So I figured I'd start a thread with my questions and am hoping for more great information to weed through :)

1. How do I go about getting started? I've never made a candle in my life other than when I was in school.
  2. What liabilities are there once the product is sold?
  3. What pieces of advice and instruction can you give to a completely green candle maker?

1 -- Get stuff to play with, unless you learn more by reading than doing. Stuff = wax, wick, molds or glass, color, fragrance etc.

2 -- Worry about that AFTER you decide this is something you want to do. Just learning to make a candle and thinking you are the next Yankme isn't likely to happen. Besides you'll need insurance and that's hoping it will be enough to protect from the really stupid people (those who leave a candle burning in a draft by say a kitchen curtain and leave to shop for 5 hours only to come back to ashes and stench and maybe your business card so you can replace all they lost.)

3-- No. 1 would be don't make candles crosseyed.

Edited by Scented

These girls have a lot more knowledge than I do in this area but what I can tell you is that, in my 8 short months of making candles, I am NO WHERE NEAR ready to sell a candle! I got all my initial candle making stuff from a former candler for a very cheap price and didn't think I would need anything else. Yet I just added up my receipts and I've spent about $1000 more already:eek: (sshhhh, don't tell DH:))

I have tested, tested, tested, and retested my jars and still haven't got one to burn as perfect as I want, to be able to sell, let alone give away to co-workers who keep asking me for one. I never knew what I was getting into when I said I would take this stuff off my friends hands:smiley2: but I LOVE doing it and can't seem to get enough of it:cheesy2:

Be prepared to spend lots of money before you even see a dime. Seriously. If that doesn't scare you away though, have fun with it! I had to take some time off from candlemaking recently because it was becoming a chore. I never wanted it to get like that and it made me a bit sad. I ended up buying some palm wax to play with and make some candles for ME! That got me back in the spirit and I'll be pouring some more candles in the spring/summer! :) The one thing that is nice about having your business is that it is just that--YOUR business. If you need to take a breather, that's ok. If candles don't work out and you want to try something else, well that's ok too! The candle market is saturated right now. If you put an excellent product out there and take the time to get your name out by way of your reputation, you may go far in this business. You also may not. If you are ok with that, best of luck to you! I'm not being snarky, just honest. I've been making candles for 10 years now and spent thousands of dollars (literally--it makes my stomach a bit weak to think of all the money I have spent! I could have taken that dream vacation to Italy instead....*sigh*) on supplies, so I know what I am talking about. As far as startup advice, Nature's Garden used to have an excellent tutorial on candlemaking and setting up a business. Check them out if I haven't scared you off yet! LOL Whatever you decide, best of luck to you! Have fun making pretty-smelling things! :)

I don't make candles (I make lotions, soaps, etc.), but the advice you're getting here about starting a craft business is important. It takes years to get your products sale-ready, and lots of money goes into research and testing. And, I can't speak for candles, but I imagine it's a lot like bath and body products -- there's not a huge profit for the amount of work that goes into making, marketing and selling your products unless you're outsourcing a lot of the work (and paying people for it!). It can take a long time and a lot of work before it could replace your day job.

That's not to say that there aren't people making some decent money doing this, but it takes a lot of work to get to that point. But, like the others have said, if you do love your craft, then it can be very rewarding.

I teach bath and body craft classes, and I've seen lots of people start off all excited about starting a business, only to be discouraged when they find out how much work and how little profit, comparably, there is.

I hope this isn't discouraging to you, but just wanted to add my two cents. Like one of the previous posters said, make sure you love what you're doing first, otherwise it'll be hard to keep it going (and you'll have wasted lots of time and money).

--Melanie

Its always exciting thinking about starting a new business. I don't blame you for that and your questions are good ones.

There has been some good advice already given here. Basically learn to make a good candle first before you consider selling any. You can always add on to your line but master one type candle at a time.

Research and development are going to take up a lot of your time and resources so be prepared to do a lot of testing. This phase is imperative before you are anywhere near ready to start a biz.

Knowing what I know now if I could start over I would have bought a candle making kit from a refutable supplier. I envy that you are close enough to go to Lonestar. Check them out for a candle making kit to start. If you don't want a kit I'm sure they can suggest starter supplies but try to make just one type candle to start out with before you tackle another. You need to learn all you can about the wax, wicks, FOs, etc, and how they work together that you are using. Trying to make more than one type candle at a time will give you a migraine.

Have fun and don't let anyone squash your dream. You can start a candle biz but how well you make a candle and market it will determine how effective your candle biz might be. That and a healthy dose of good luck!

Edited by Candybee

I make B&B and got the bright idea I wanted to make candles too. I spent a LOT of money and I have supplies galore. Found out after testing for a year that I do not like making candles except for rustic looking pillars and I hate wicking so only make the forever pillars for gifts.

Work on those candles and see if you even like it after months of pouring and burning. I found out I did NOT.

Plus, I am also in Texas but central. Over the past 5 years going to shows I have noticed that there isn't even a candle booth at most shows anymore, only Scentsy.

Good luck in whatever you decide to try.

Thank you all for the wonderful advice!! I will be visiting Lone Star Candle Monday, since it's my day off :yay: and picking up a starter kit. I really want to start out with the wood wick candles and master those first.

Again I appreciate all the advice and tips and I will definately continue to read the boards and research as much as I can to learn all I can and get as many tips from here as possible. I'm very excited about venturing down this road of candlemaking; I love burning candles at home so if nothing else I can always have my own :rolleyes2.

Thanks again!!

Welcome, and I can tell you about Lonestar. I'm about 5 hours from there but drove over when I was in Ft. Worth in October. They have a "sniffer room" and all of their glassware on display in their reception area. Every single fragrance oil they have and all of their products are displayed. I spent about 2 hours there going through the catalog, and making my order.

They have order blanks there so when you find a fragrance you want to try, you can just write it down. It is nice too because you can see the glassware and actually imagine the candles you could make from them.

The girls behind the desk are very knowledgeable about the products and wax. They will be able to help you decide what you will need to start off with.

Being able to pick up wax and glassware is very beneficial. Lonestar has some really nice fragrances as well.

Start small or you will develop a terrible addiction :)

Best to you!

Lorelei

I really want to start out with the wood wick candles and master those first.

I'd strongly suggest that you learn how to make a regular candle with a regular wick before you venture into the novalty stuff...JMHO