What size of candle sells best for you?

I currently sell 8 and 16 oz square masons. I am getting bored with these (sometimes I think I want to give myself a reason to test again) and I was wondering what jar sizes/types I should consider. Are jelly jars still popular or is something bigger a better idea?

Thanks

Jelly jars sold really well for me. They are very popular. They outsold my 16oz jars by far.

I don't use jj's anymore because like you I got tired of my jars and wanted a different look. So I switched to the 9 and 16 oz straight sided round jars. The smaller 9oz still far outsells the 16oz. I just keep the larger 16oz for those that want large candles.

I have been thinking about going back to 4 oz hex jars. Those sold very well too but its hard to earn a lot on them and thats why I quit. But they way ppl buy up smaller jars I am rethinking them.

I sell a 12 oz salsa which holds 8 oz of wax. I list it as an 8 oz candle on the label. I have nearly sold all of those and will begin selling a 16 oz salsa that holds 10 oz of wax. They come with a gold lid and are easy to wick. Customers refused to buy anymore jelly jars (look cheap in my living room) and have really embraced these jars as the lids are easily removed and they look a little more upscale. HTH

Steve

I used to use the 12 oz salsa jars but after a year switched to the 9oz because the 12 oz salsa jars left way too much bottom wax and customers were commenting on that. So when I started using the 9 oz jars I was very happy to see they were selling twice as fast as the old 12 oz salsa's. The other problem with the 12 oz jars is that they would keep running out of stock and only a couple of suppliers had them and with the lid I used. It was turning into a big problem. So for me at least the 12 oz salsas didn't work at all.

I am much happier with the 9oz jars and they also match the 16 oz salsa jars and I get the same style lids. Plus sales are so much better.

I started out with the 8 oz. mason jars, then everyone else around here started selling them. Then went to 8 oz. Jelly jars so I could sell them at a decent price and still make a profit then others followed. Right now I use Reg. 12 oz. mason jars.

I have tested several other types of jars but for the price I would have to sell them it's not even worth offering them.

8 oz tins and 8 oz square masons. Rarely do I get asked for something bigger.

I use 3 mm necks to avoid complaints about too much being left over. It's a complaint I've never had.

Tins used to far, far outsell anything else. I rarely sell tins these days. Now, people either want 8 oz masons or wickless.

For wickless, I use 6 oz tureens. I made a few wickless in 8 oz tins and couldn't give them away. I can't give away hex jars, either.

When I get bored, I change lids. Or give scents new names.

I use the Libbey Vibe 12 oz and they work very well and sell very well, however, I want to start using wooden lids on them but can't find any wood lids that fit 12 oz. Libbey vibe. So I am thinking of trying the Libbery Interlude 12 oz. Does anyone know where I can find a wooden lid for the 12 oz libbey vibe jars?

My best sellers are gussied up 22oz lantern Jars....they're not jars per se, I buy them at home depot just under $3.00 ea, they are the glass lanterns that screw into light fixtures. I sell them either prim with rusted lids, some rusty decorations and They sell for $15.00 ~ $18.00

I use the same jars but with black handles lids that I either keep black or paint shabby chic colors, decorate the lids, and string rosebud garland they sell for $18.00 ~ $20.00

I wholesale them for $12.50 w/ a minimum order of 25 jars.

Wow I never knew jelly jars sold so well. I never liked them (thought they looked too homemade and cheap) so I went with the apothecary jars (16oz and 26oz). Please don't attack me for thinking so but I can't help what I felt. If I would have known they were so popular I would have at least tried to sell them. My husband and I love the apothecary jars but jelly ones could have definitely saved us some money. As for what sells the most.. couldn't tell ya since we are still a brand new company and won't be having our first craft show until May. We also sell 8oz tins and have tried 7oz and 10oz monticiano tumblers (I think that's what they are called). Working with the 8 oz tins is what I like best so far. I may try jelly jars once I start getting money back from everything I've already ordered. :smiley2:

Sliver-I understand that. I have been in business for 6 years and I have been working with the same jars for quite a while now. I want something new and was looking to see what works for others. I am bored with candlemaking lately. I wondered what styles appeal to other customers. My masons sell fine already...really no great reason to change other than boredom.

sbs- As far a jelly jars looking homemade and cheap, isn't that what you are going for? The appeal of a homemade product? I guess it could work either way. In my area I know that apothecary won't sell too much because of the price I would need to charge. People in my area won't spend that on one candle.

No. That is not what I'm going for. Homemade yes. Cheap no.

People already know their homemade. I prefer homemade in an apothecary jar. I'll see how they sell in this neck Of the woods.

Edited by sbs

I use the jj as well. Didn't want to use the hex since those were so close to what the home interior or whatever they are called now were in. Don't know if they've changed the style, but, didn't want to confuse people. Also I personally didn't really care for the hex. There were other companies that had them in masons so I opted for the jj. Yes there are many other jars that are much nicer looking than the jj, but, when it comes down to cost I know I couldn't sell them.

We had another company from out of state come to our local christmas show at the fairgrounds and while they did look pretty and smell good, they didn't sell b/c of the price. They were the apothecary jars.

To answer your original question, I sell 8 oz jj, 16 oz jj and 4 oz tins. Don't sell to many in the tins at all so when those are gone I'm not going to do those anymore. I do sell some of the 16's, but, the large majority is the 8 oz jj.

Container choice is a personal preference and what works for some may not work for others.

This is all based on my personal experience in my area.

Edited by pleasureridgecandles

I only sell the Libby 11oz Rocks tumbler it holds about 9 to 9.5 ounces of wax and the 8oz tins. Around here the tumblers sell much more then the tins. I have a crush on the 8oz mason jars, I have a case of them and would love to dress them up with a cute shabby bow and rustic lid but I don't know if they would sell around here, should make a few for the next craft show and see how they do.

Sliver-I understand that. I have been in business for 6 years and I have been working with the same jars for quite a while now. I want something new and was looking to see what works for others. I am bored with candlemaking lately. I wondered what styles appeal to other customers. My masons sell fine already...really no great reason to change other than boredom.

sbs- As far a jelly jars looking homemade and cheap, isn't that what you are going for? The appeal of a homemade product? I guess it could work either way. In my area I know that apothecary won't sell too much because of the price I would need to charge. People in my area won't spend that on one candle.

Looks like you're got your answer, lol.

Good luck. In one breath you say you understand that you shouldn't base your craft on what works for someone else. Then you turn around and ask what styles appeal to someone else's customers.

Maybe you should ask your customers what they would like.