How many of you do this FULL-TIME?

sbs

How do you work your craft business?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. How do you work your craft business?

• I work my craft business full-time
    • I work my craft business part-time
    • I work both my craft business and another job full-time/ part-time
    • I only do my craft as a hobby

Hello Island Girl,

Kudos to you on the business. It is my dream to make this journey a business of my own. Is there anyway you can give some pointers, tips, advise on where to begin. For instance, do you have a storefront, how did you go about finding a location, do you run it yourself or do you have staff? How to you keep your inventory up?

Thanks and Blessing to you

NaDene

Spa~Cafe Candles-n-Things

www.spacafe.org

natural@spacafe.org

Sorry to hear about your lay off. I went thru the same thing and just recently got a part time job. Its a struggle right now to keep my biz going thru it all. But for the first time this past year my biz made more money than my job does. {insert happy dance here}

My candle & soap biz does not yet make enough money for me to survive on so I will continue working until it does. However each year my sales increase and surpass my expectations plus my marketing skills have gotten so much better. So I am hopeful I can be self supportive with my biz in a few more years.

Full time biz now for 6 years~~

I started as a hobby, worked my craft and a 35hr a week job till it got to crazy to do both. Then made a decision to try to make my candle hobby a biz. Best decision I ever made!!

Woot woot! for you girl!! I hope to be there soon myself!

I too got "laid off" mutual decision, though. I am doing this full time right now (and them some). Candle business was booming back in November on through. But now I am getting nervous. Should I hang tight until next season or get another part time job....I keep plenty busy just not enough $$ coming in....Those of you doing this full time, what do you do during slow season?

I don't know if this poll has merit without knowing if the household has other income. If there's any other income whatsoever, be it working husband, retirement, child support/alimony, whatever, that helps pay the mortgage, the utilities, the food bill, there's no way you can truthfully say you do this full time.

You may be working at it full time, but if it's not a sole source of income, saying you do this full time is misleading and gives false hope to people looking for a stable career.

I don't know if this poll has merit without knowing if the household has other income. If there's any other income whatsoever, be it working husband, retirement, child support/alimony, whatever, that helps pay the mortgage, the utilities, the food bill, there's no way you can truthfully say you do this full time.

You may be working at it full time, but if it's not a sole source of income, saying you do this full time is misleading and gives false hope to people looking for a stable career.

I agree I do this full time but if my hubby did not work I would not be able to do that. I would have to get a real job again.

I have a part time job along with the candle business. I don't have a storefront, but, maybe someday in the future I will. My hubby works also, but, I need to continue to work my job as it gives us the extra income we need but also gives us the benefits that we really need. I get free health, dental, vision and presciption insurance through my employer. I also have a retirement plan. Not bad for only working part time. My hubby could get insurance through his employer, but, it's not free and with having kids we'd need to cover, it would be way too expensive to have it through his employer.

I'm divorced so only one income....I think it would be very hard to do this full-time and make enought to support myself.

I work full-time to pay the bills, I do candles part-time to give me an extra income which enables me to do things I could never do on one income.

When I retire in 4 yrs, then I can do this full-time! :-)

Kudo's to all of you who are doing this full-time and making a living at it!! You are an incentive for the rest of us!!

Karen

Well the poll is simply asking what you do and how you do it (full-time/part-time)... not how you are able to financially survive and if this is your sole source of income. We all should understand everybody's situation is different. It's not that deep. I'm simply asking out of curiosity a.k.a. being nosy. :cheesy2: Sorry to anyone being mislead...

Well the poll is simply asking what you do and how you do it (full-time/part-time)... not how you are able to financially survive and if this is your sole source of income. We all should understand everybody's situation is different. It's not that deep. I'm simply asking out of curiosity a.k.a. being nosy. :cheesy2: Sorry to anyone being mislead...

You mentioned being laid off, indicating you've lost your income:

I was laid off and have no choice right now but to dedicate myself full-time.

I do it full time with a store front. For 2 years prior to dec. I was working full time and the store was open evenings and weekends. Got laid off in Dec. and now I do it full time. Best thing that could have ever happened to me! I do have a SO to help support me though so I don't have to worry about household expenses. If I didn't have him I would have to work an outside job part time.

I've been making candles for a few years now. I'm at home now full-time and with the support of my dear hubby I'm able to work on my "hobby" while the kiddos are at school.

I'm hopping that in time (several months and tons of testing from now) I can bring additonal income to the household or just enough to help with my candle addiction...:cheesy2:

Full time job, part time student and part to full time with the biz depending on the season ....

Though there was a time that I did not work and depended only on candles but it wasn't enough to really make all the bills but I could still eat.

Hello Ktn, that is great that you were able to retire early to do this full time. I hope to be there soon. I love your website. I may order some soap soon. Do you have a storefront?

Hi , thank you . I am working with DIL on getting a store front, she is a fantastic cake designer, her cakes have taken off big time , so we are looking for somewhere to start a little shop together.