A Scentsy Story

CandleMakinCutiePie

I read somewhere before that they were parrafin. I'm looking right now on their site to see if I can find it.

I did see this ..... Truth in Advertising: We make no promises or statements that could mislead existing or prospective customers or Consultants.

Thought that was a little comical seeing as how they make statements that claim their pots will ONLY melt their wax.

Ok found what type of wax is it....

FAQ

What kind of wax is used in Scentsy Bars and Scentsy Bricks?

Scentsy wickless candle bars are made with a custom, high-quality paraffin wax blend. It is designed for a specific scent load and low melt point.

Nothing wrong with using paraffin wax. Paraffin container blends are very soft and if you touch the top of the candle if may feel greasy to you if you are not used to it. It will leave finger prints and its easy to leave gouges in. I know because I used to make paraffin container candles and it drove me nuts when people would touch my candles!

On the other hand a paraffin pillar blend will not feel greasy to the touch just solid yet softer than the typical soy pillar blend.

So it sounds like they are using a container parrafin blend or straight paraffin that they have formulated to be comparable to a container blend by lowering the melt point. Nothing wrong with that.

But it means zip if you aren't using it right. I bet they formulated it to hold more FO. But holding more FO doesn't equate to a better scented melt. It just means it can hold more. So if they are loading FO to its max it can effect the quality of the scent throw. Either that or they are using cheap FO.

Their warmers are way overpriced for one that uses a low watt bulb to heat a wax melt. Low watt bulb meltors are not the most effective way to melt wax melts and tends to leave unmelted wax around the edges. Sorry but that's just cheap to me.

The only meltors I sell are the warming plate type meltors with the removable bowl. They melt the wax melts completely without leaving any hangup. I can sell them for under $15. Maybe I should sell at $25 and make a killing!:laugh2:

The melts I touched were pariffin. One of the consultants told me what they make and if she is right, they are not making hardly anything. All they are doing is building product and making Scentsy a lot of money. I have seen them at a lot of shows that only allow handmade. I don't get it.

Shows that advertise handmade only need to be told how you feel about a Scentsy rep being there too. Tell them its not fair you have to jump thru hoops to get in but why is the rep there?!!!! Vendors always complain to each other but many don't follow thru and complain to the show promoter.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Just saw a listing of all the vendors at my craft show next Saturday and guess whonis there also... A Scentsy Rep! Oh well I'm sure I'll be fine. I have a few clamshell melts but I sell more candles. There's also a bath and body person there too but I only sell MP soap so no biggie. The good news is that I'm the only candle maker there so that something. Wish me luck!

I love doing shows where Scentsy is there. I sell tarts and electric melters as well as candles. My clamshells sell for $3.50 and Scentsy sells for $5.00. My melters sell for $25.00 and they get two free tart with that purchase. My plug ins sell for $16.00 and they get two free tart with that purchase. Scentsy cannot compete with me.I do not have to pay a commission and they do. Lol. Scentsy reps are everywhere. They are a dime a dozen. I sold sold Home and Garden Party (now Cebrating Home) and was very successful but success in this type of pyramid business is infrequent. Most people sign up and have no sales experience. They do not last long. Scentsy is making money selling inventory to their reps!! Have you seen how much inventory these people carry?? I was at a show last week that we estimated they had over $3000.00 in inventory and we saw very few Scentsy bags being carried around by customers. Our tart sells however were outstanding as well as our melters. My point is that Scentsy has done us a great favor - they have created a great market for us to sell our hand poured products which are much better than theirs and at a price much better than theirs. Remember, competition breeds sells!!!

Their warmers are way overpriced for one that uses a low watt bulb to heat a wax melt. Low watt bulb meltors are not the most effective way to melt wax melts and tends to leave unmelted wax around the edges. Sorry but that's just cheap to me.

The only meltors I sell are the warming plate type meltors with the removable bowl. They melt the wax melts completely without leaving any hangup. I can sell them for under $15. Maybe I should sell at $25 and make a killing!:laugh2:

That is the type I mainly offer- warming plate with removable bowl and I have the mosiacs with light bulb from levine for something different - I have mine at $25.00 but it comes with 3 Melts of their choice. I figure if they will pay $40.00 or more for scentsy and have to buy the wax on top of it, my price is $25.00 (still way cheaper) and they get to pick out 3 different melts to try in them (I do not use clam shells-I indiviudually wrap mine like y-nk--) and everyone that has bought so far comes back for more- they love them and the price! (quite a few have been surprised they get all that for that price- recently being at a scenty party) I am not advertising or marketing at all right now- we have 3 other businesses and my time is very limited but I set up an area in our office of my candles and melts and warmers and I am amazed at how many people do come in -buy them- it is at least letting my buy more supplies to keep testing and adding more!

I love doing shows where Scentsy is there. I sell tarts and electric melters as well as candles. My clamshells sell for $3.50 and Scentsy sells for $5.00. My melters sell for $25.00 and they get two free tart with that purchase. My plug ins sell for $16.00 and they get two free tart with that purchase. Scentsy cannot compete with me.I do not have to pay a commission and they do. Lol. Scentsy reps are everywhere. They are a dime a dozen. I sold sold Home and Garden Party (now Cebrating Home) and was very successful but success in this type of pyramid business is infrequent. Most people sign up and have no sales experience. They do not last long. Scentsy is making money selling inventory to their reps!! Have you seen how much inventory these people carry?? I was at a show last week that we estimated they had over $3000.00 in inventory and we saw very few Scentsy bags being carried around by customers. Our tart sells however were outstanding as well as our melters. My point is that Scentsy has done us a great favor - they have created a great market for us to sell our hand poured products which are much better than theirs and at a price much better than theirs. Remember, competition breeds sells!!!

Your so right whispergirl! I will try to remember this next Saturday at my show. Thanks for sharing it has given me a confidence boost most definitely. :-)

Have any of you noticed that their wax feels greasy? I've never seen a soy wax like that, maybe they came up with their own blend.

I have an aquantance that sells Scentsy. I just recently saw her at our local fall festival...I asked her what kind of wax they use..she just told me it was food grade wax. She did not know that I make my own candles and tarts..lol. I did tell her and she stopped talking. lol.

Jack, let us know how your show goes on Sat.

Thank you so much Whispergirl! I definitely will. I'm in Key west at the moment with my partner but I have everything done and so Friday it's little last minute things. I am getting excited though. I have lots of candles. I hope those are big sellers.

• 2 weeks later...
I have an aquantance that sells Scentsy. I just recently saw her at our local fall festival...I asked her what kind of wax they use..she just told me it was food grade wax. She did not know that I make my own candles and tarts..lol. I did tell her and she stopped talking. lol.

I have been doing some research on this food grade wax that Scentsy uses. I believe it is Microcrystaline wax. I was at NG's site and reading the description sounds just like what I was told and what their bars look like! What is kind of funny, I came here and did a search on Microcrystaline wax and Scentsy were the main threads that came up! Hmmm... I will bet that is what they use.

Edited by kimmeroo