Fundraiser Dilema

Hi there

A question for those of you who do successful fund raisers.

We are looking at doing one soon for the local primary school (approx 400 kids). The issue is with sample packs.

When the kids sell chocolates, they typically go around door to door with the chocolates and sell on the spot, however we are not going to make hundreds of clams for this to happen, so people will need to order.

We are only doing clams as people will not pay the price for jars, so how do you do your samples? Kids are going to want to take them home to show and sniff, which is where the problems lies.

How many sample packs do we supply, how do the kids work it so that people can look and smell. To do a couple for each class might work and then have them in the classroom, however not every parent goes up to the school, with many kids catching the bus etc.

Any ideas, suggestions or insights would be most helpful and appreciated for the more seasoned vets in the fund-raising arena.

Cheers

For my fundraisers I only allow the group to select 6-8 scents to sell, so what I do for smelly samples is I poured into 3/4 oz plastic cups and label with the scent name. The group has the option to buy these. For a group of 400 though, that would be a tedious job. I do a Christmas fundraiser for a group of 200+ but they didn't want to pay for the samples. Like Misty, I have written scent descriptions on their order form so the have a general idea what they would smell like.

Although samples may help to increase business, I don't find them to be necessary. Fundraisers for popcorn, candy, wrapping paper even, just have pictures and descriptions. You don't sample the popcorn- you just assume by the description and pictures. If you decide to limit the scents offered, maybe purchase inexpensive small tins/containers that you fill with the scented wax. This would be time consuming on your end and will increase your costs.

Good luck!

I don't give out samples for fundraisers. A nice detailed script of each fragrance tantilizes customers.

My children participated in school fundraisers for many years and never had a sample provided.

Hope that helps... ~S~

I agree with Shanda,, customers are supporting the cause.

I printed my order forms double-sided then folded like a book. Front page had my info and the fund raisers info (who, why, etc) also info on when orders would be delivered and who to make checks payable to (the organization, not me!). Inside was the order form and on the back was a list of the scents with colors and descriptions. It seemed to work well. I never did samples.