Silly newbee question

Ok, well last night I poured my first candles ever. I am so excited to test them, but my question is how do you clean you pouring pot? I used hot water and soap but I was afraid the soap would contaminate the pouring pot. I have heard soap can contaminate coffee pots and make them taste like soap so I was just wondering. Also how do you pour your FO from the original bottle that it came into the container you are using to measure then add to the wax. When I poured the FO into you container that was on my scale I ended up with FO all over my counter that is why I'm asking. Hope this makes sense.

Thank you in advanced, Connie

I clean my pour pot by putting it in the oven upside down on a foil lined cookie sheet. The oven is set at 175 degrees. When the wax is melted I take it out and wipe clean with paper towels.

When I measure my FO I put a small shot glass on my scale and measure the amount of FO I need. HTH:smiley2:

I clean my pour pot by putting it in the oven upside down on a foil lined cookie sheet. The oven is set at 175 degrees. When the wax is melted I take it out and wipe clean with paper towels.

When I measure my FO I put a small shot glass on my scale and measure the amount of FO I need. HTH:smiley2:

What she said, or heat up the pot on the inside with the heat gun, dump out the remains in the trash and wipe out with papertowels and you are good to go. You don't really want to wash them in the sink and get wax in your plumbing. :)

After a lot of elbow grease and scalded hands from cleaning my pot in hot water, I finally found something that works like a breeze - Goo Gone! When I am done pouring the last of my wax into the pour pot, I take a second to wipe down the inside of my presto pot with a paper towel (it is much easier to wipe up hot liquid wax than to scrape off cooled wax). Then when I am done pouring and setting my candles, I wipe out my pour pot while it is still liquidy. Then just spray some Goo Gone or Dissolve It into both the pour pot and presto pot and wipe it out with a paper towel. Then I just rinse them both out with soap and water and voila! What used to take me half an hour now takes less than 5 minutes. You can get Goo Gone or Dissolve it at stores like Walmart, Target, Kmart, etc for just a few dollars, and it works great on other things around the house too!

HTH

I think you'll find as you get along in making candles you'll be buying a lot of paper towels, I would suggest buying big packages of them...lol...and wiping out the pot after you have poured your wax works perfectly. (be sure the pot is still hot):)

I asked for paper towels for Christmas...from EVERYONE!! :D

Also how do you pour your FO from the original bottle that it came into the container you are using to measure then add to the wax. When I poured the FO into you container that was on my scale I ended up with FO all over my counter that is why I'm asking. Hope this makes sense.
I've got your 50 cups of coffee beat. Needless to say, pouring a few ounces of FO in the early days would usually result in having some on the ceiling. That is, until I decided to always have handy-dandy dispensing caps on hand to screw onto the FO bottles. You can buy them from http://stores.ebay.com/CANDLECHEM-COMPANY. If you're using smallish bottles I think a set of 20mm and 24mm caps should do the trick. Some people like the flip tops, but I prefer the Yorker caps.

I work at a sewer & septic cleaning company (my not as fun as candle making job). Never, never clean your pour pots in the sink. The wax will clog your drains up as fast as if you had put pure crisco down them. Faster, because the crisco will melt with hot water. Wax just sits in the traps, waiting to plug up. I hit mine with the heat gun and wipe out with paper towels that I now buy by the case at Sams Club. My DH is the owner of the company. His first statement to me was "I hope you're not putting any of that 'stuff' down the sink, toilet, etc." Merry Christmas, everyone.

I never need soap and water to clean anything. I wipe everything off with a paper towel. And it doesn't have to be pristine either, I'm certainly not eating off of it.

I've seen those gloves (or a similiar type pair) at Bed Bath & Beyond, but they were $19 for each glove. I thought "No way" and so I'll stick with midly burning myself while wearing gardening gloves.

I use those oven gloves like posted in the picture a few posts back. You can get them at walgreens, I have like 3 of them now. I use a hot plate to warm the pouring pots and then use paper towels to get the wax all out. If you want to clean up other things, the orange wipes (like handi wipes) work great for taking wax off stuff. Viva paper towels are the best at cleaning up wax from your pouring pots. I have tested them ALL and they are the softest and most absorbant, just what candle makers need. Bruce

I use those oven gloves like posted in the picture a few posts back. You can get them at walgreens, I have like 3 of them now. I use a hot plate to warm the pouring pots and then use paper towels to get the wax all out. If you want to clean up other things, the orange wipes (like handi wipes) work great for taking wax off stuff. Viva paper towels are the best at cleaning up wax from your pouring pots. I have tested them ALL and they are the softest and most absorbant, just what candle makers need. Bruce

Yup, soft and absorbant... but fuzzy too. Maybe I just rub em too hard :undecided