How do you present samples?

Scenario - you're trying to obtain a wholesale account with a local retailer who wants to sample your fragrances. You carry 30 fragrances and your best selling size comes in a 12 oz status jar. Do you bring 30 status jars with you for them to sample or do you make something like small 3 oz votive tumblers to use as samplers and one status jar to show them what it looks like?

You can substitute whichever container you use for the status jar. I was only using that as an example.

I recently got this idea from another chandler. I'm using bead stackers from a local craft store and plan to carry these everywhere I go. With these they are able to sample every single scent or just your most popular. They come in a few different sizes too.

post-13057-139458477338_thumb.jpg

Edited by sbs

I recently got this idea from another chandler. I'm using bead stackers from a local craft store and plan to carry these everywhere I go. With these they are able to sample every single scent or just your most popular. They come in a few different sizes too.

Those look interesting, but are they polypro? And how much heat can they take when pouring? Or do you just put tarts into them?

The reason I ask is if they aren't polypro, the scents will mix over time.

Those look interesting, but are they polypro? And how much heat can they take when pouring? Or do you just put tarts into them?

The reason I ask is if they aren't polypro, the scents will mix over time.

Not sure. I pour into each individual one. It's hard, not soft like the clamshell packages. I know Mia Bella uses them. They are strong enough to where I smell nothing when they are closed and when I open one I only smell that one scent. That's now... I'll have to see about later.

I have a wholesale proposal but they want to smell the scents of a couple dozen different ones. They want me to formulate special blends of oil for a private label in their exclusive day spa.

They are not in my area. Any ideas how to get them fragrance samples?

I don't mean to hijack this thread but it is along the same lines.

Thanks!

L

I have a wholesale proposal but they want to smell the scents of a couple dozen different ones. They want me to formulate special blends of oil for a private label in their exclusive day spa.

They are not in my area. Any ideas how to get them fragrance samples?

I don't mean to hijack this thread but it is along the same lines.

Thanks!

L

Just another idea I heard and use. Take a votive or tealight sample, grate it with one of those small graters used for grating garlic or cinnamon, put a scoop (1 tsp or so) in a resealable baggie the size of a business card, and label it. I staple these to the back of my business cards and pass them out. Mini scent samples. One votive makes about 35 samples. :smiley2:

Or make tealights and send them those.

http://candlebusinesstips.blogspot.com/search/label/scent%20sample%20tips

Edited by sbs

I saw these yesterday at BCS! I plan to buy a case soon. Perfect for samples also!! And affordable too. :yay:I can use these for home parties.

Tin Sample Cases -

These are perfect for carrying your scented wax samples! Take them to customers and let them smell all of the scents you offer! Mini tins come with plastic window for better viewing. Each set comes with tin carrying case.

Item20 piece set40 piece set1.25" diameter tins in aluminum case$ 7.99 each $ 13.99 each

post-13057-139458477398_thumb.jpg

I have some of those tiny tins for my scrapbook supplies- I bought them many years ago. I was also thinking that they would make great scent samples. They are also called watchmaker tins for those who want to google places to buy them.

I saw these yesterday at BCS! I plan to buy a case soon. Perfect for samples also!! And affordable too. :yay:I can use these for home parties.

Tin Sample Cases -

These are perfect for carrying your scented wax samples! Take them to customers and let them smell all of the scents you offer! Mini tins come with plastic window for better viewing. Each set comes with tin carrying case.

Item20 piece set40 piece set1.25" diameter tins in aluminum case$ 7.99 each $ 13.99 each

I made a kit using the same concept. I filled my tins with scented aroma beads. I wish i would have found thier kits earlier i would have used that instead.

I have some of those tiny tins for my scrapbook supplies- I bought them many years ago. I was also thinking that they would make great scent samples. They are also called watchmaker tins for those who want to google places to buy them.

Good to know. Thanks!

Frankly I wouldn't bother with 'samplers'. When I market my candles to retailers I bring a case. So that gives me 12 scents. I go inside the shop with one of my best sellers and a wholesale brochure. If they are interested I will bring in the case so they can see and smell my candles. I've been able to get more accounts this way.

Sorry but those little sample things don't represent your candles like the real thing. How do you expect a retailer to get excited about your candles if you bring in tea lights, votives, or portion cups, or whatever? JMO

Sorry but those little sample things don't represent your candles like the real thing. How do you expect a retailer to get excited about your candles if you bring in tea lights, votives, or portion cups, or whatever? JMO

They are not supposed to represent candles. They are used to sample "scents". If it was my situation I would bring a few candles and scent samples.

They are not supposed to represent candles. They are used to sample "scents". If it was my situation I would bring a few candles and scent samples.

Those 'sample' scents do end up representing your candles and could have a negative impact. That is what I am saying. Thats why I take my candles. I too wanted to use samples but decided the real thing is what I wanted to show them. It also impacts the manner in which you sell. When the retailer is looking at the real candle and not a sample your sales pitch reflects that.

Edited by Candybee

I bought something similar to this and made a tiny candle with left over over-pour wax.

http://www.fillmorecontainer.com/Jars/15-oz-Round-Sample-Jar-CT.htm

I got mine a long long time ago I think from WSP

Found some hard plastic cases that they fit in perfectly and set them up in categories of my line. Spring, Summer, Fall, Holiday, Year Round Favs.

They get heavy though if you have a lot of scents.

or this libby glass http://www.lonestarcandlesupply.com/products/CandleContainers_Libbey-Sampler-1oz.html

Edited by tlc26

I bought something similar to this and made a tiny candle with left over over-pour wax.

http://www.fillmorecontainer.com/Jars/15-oz-Round-Sample-Jar-CT.htm

I got mine a long long time ago I think from WSP

Found some hard plastic cases that they fit in perfectly and set them up in categories of my line. Spring, Summer, Fall, Holiday, Year Round Favs.

They get heavy though if you have a lot of scents.

or this libby glass http://www.lonestarcandlesupply.com/products/CandleContainers_Libbey-Sampler-1oz.html

Those are so freakin cute lol.. Definitely a good way to present the scent and the candle. Do you remember where you found the case to carry them and how many it will hold?

sbs- I wanted to let you know that I had the one from BCS and I was extremely disappointed with the quality. I got some similar containers from Elements recently that were on sale. They are little tins with windows and they are a much better quality. I got the half ounce size. I am using them so people don't have to open the clamshells up to smell, since they break apart easy.

sbs- I wanted to let you know that I had the one from BCS and I was extremely disappointed with the quality. I got some similar containers from Elements recently that were on sale. They are little tins with windows and they are a much better quality. I got the half ounce size. I am using them so people don't have to open the clamshells up to smell, since they break apart easy.

Awesome! Thanks.. I didnt order it yet so thats good. I'm going to check out Elements. And u r so righ about the clamshells.. I havent done a show yet but I could imagine myself getting annoyed with people popping open my clamshells and breaking them in the process. :mad: I have broke a couple myself and just use them because I dont want to sell them broke already..

Edited by sbs

• 2 weeks later...

That's what I was thinking after I recently bought my first Yankee candle, just a votive to try the scent. It had a good CT whenever I passed my kitchen table. Then I burned it at home in my den. After 30 minutes or so I got a decent HT in a 300 sq foot room sitting 10 feet away, & then the HT went away after 15 minutes & never came back. So, even though the candle was too small to scent that size room, as a customer I was just too unimpressed to ever go back to Yankee.

Those are so freakin cute lol.. Definitely a good way to present the scent and the candle. Do you remember where you found the case to carry them and how many it will hold?

the cases were a dollar store (something similar) find

Are those big enough to pop a tealight into? That way you could change them out easily if you discontinue a scent and wouldn't have to worry about pour temps.