Which wax has the strongest COLD throw?

im with you candy bee i started off using the 4630 but it fails to compare to the 4627 comfort blend. but i just started this hobby and have only tried the two waxes.......i dont see myself changing waxes in the future as i think the 4627 has everything im looking for.....it is a lil more expensive than other waxes and is a mess to cut up but i believe it is well worth it

Thank everyone. I don't care if it is soy, paraffin, palm or a blend, just the very strongest COLD throw. If you could help me with the supplier, that would help greatly.

I need to make scent testers so the cold throw is queen and they will never be burned so I don't care at all about the hot throw.

I disagree. I want a cold throw that is as close to possible in scent to the actual hot throw. I have about 20 scents that are very different in cold throw compared to their hot throw and would like to try them in a different wax that can throw cold. Thank you, but I have no intention of misrepresenting my product. I want to accurately represent the my tarts. I only make tarts and only use one wax so I know nothing of other waxes which is why I asked for help in this. I sell on the internet only and cold throw doesn't matter but now that I'm going retail, I do need accurate testers.

You need to make testers with the actual wax you are using for a project - NOT one that simply has a good throw. There is a difference and you would not want to misrepresent your products to your customers. ;)
Edited by AlwaysWondering

I disagree. I want a cold throw that is as close to possible in scent to the actual hot throw. I have about 20 scents that are very different in cold throw compared to their hot throw and would like to try them in a different wax that can throw cold. Thank you, but I have no intention of misrepresenting my product. I want to accurately represent the my tarts. I only make tarts and only use one wax so I know nothing of other waxes which is why I asked for help in this. I sell on the internet only and cold throw doesn't matter but now that I'm going retail, I do need accurate testers.

Am I the only one that this totally confused? :confused:

Interesting. Most customers care about hot throw, no? The tart is just sitting sealed in a clamshell pack or souffle cup. They aren't used as air fresheners. For instance, my Panna Cotta smells unbelievably yummy when melted but, in my opinion, has an awful cold throw. The same goes for my Toasted Marshmallow. The point of a tart is to melt it, not sniff it cold. Am I wrong? On the internet, they can take the time to read detailed descriptions of my scents and when they melt them, that is exactly what they will smell. In a retail environment, they can only sniff to decide. Maybe I should rethink this and just not sell those with awful cold throw.

If I was a customer I wouldn't be happy to sniff a tester with a great cold throw and find that the actual tarts I purchased didn't have any cold throw.

If you're only making tarts, forget most of what was said in this thread. Lotsa luck making tarts with 4627, for example.

As far as being confused..............

When you make tarts, you have a fair idea of how they smell melted. You don't know how long they will last, but you at least have a smidgen of an idea if they have decent throw.

As the maker and seller, you need to know how a scent throws from all angles. That said, yes, cold throw is king. Nobody will buy something that has no cold throw, no matter how hard you try to convince customers something smells wonderful burning or melted.

Testers are "dummies" of the actual product. They are NOT sealed in packaging. There should not be any difference between the formula of the tester and the real product; otherwise, whether for good intentions or ill, you are misrepresenting the product to the customer.

I understand you are trying to give your customers an accurate preview of the scent of the product; however, there is really no way to do this cold vs. hot throw, no matter what wax you use. FOs are manufactured to release all their notes when warmed to a certain temperature. Cold throw will always be an approximation of the hot throw at best. In some cases, it may differ quite significantly. This is a similar phenomenon to the difference in sniffing fragrances OOB and after they are put into wax, cooled, cured and melted or burned. The difference can be quite remarkable.

Maybe I should rethink this and just not sell those with awful cold throw.

If you are unimpressed with the cold throw of some of your FOs, you can note this in accompanying product literature if you think it's that important. As far as personally finding some of the cold throws unpleasant, let your customers make that choice. It may be that YOUR nose detects fragrance slightly different from theirs. I am continually amazed at how differently people perceive and react to the same fragrances and how differently they describe them. If you are truly disturbed that the cold throw is completely "off" from the hot throw, don't offer it in your line-up.

I wouldn't be happy to sniff a tester with a great cold throw and find that the actual tarts I purchased didn't have any cold throw.
The point of a tart is to melt it, not sniff it cold. Am I wrong?

IMHO, a tart should have a pleasing scent whether cold or hot. If I noted that the tart had a super cold throw in the tester and the one I bought had no cold throw, I'd be unhappy, too. The product a customer purchases should be the same as the one they tested. If it isn't, they have every right to be unhappy.

Thank you everyone. I'm done with this subject and appreciate your input. Feel free to continue talking amongst yourselves. I don't think I'm conveying my thoughts. I KNOW testers are not sealed and I am NOT making tarts out of the same wax I am using for certain testers.

Edited by AlwaysWondering

I know you're finished with us, and all, but still I'll try to understand...

You are looking for a wax that gives the "best" cold throw so you can use it for shelf samples of your candles to represent what the purchaser will find when they buy one of your candles and take it home and light it? And the wax you use for the shelf sample needn't match the wax you actually make candles with because it's to act along the lines of a 'scratch and sniff' sample - just something to demonstrate what the burning candle or wax melt will smell like?

I'm not saying you don't know what you are doing - I'm saying that I don't understand what you want so it's hard to help you. Not that I'm an expert, but maybe I know a little.

Ok, I thought I was done. I am planning to offer about 80 of my 300 scents at the retail level. I only make tarts and at this point I only sell via internet so cold sniff or cold throw has never been an issue, only hot throw.

I am now going into a retail environment and now cold throw is important. The vast majority of my tarts have great cold throw and smell pretty much exactly as they do in hot throw. I am creating testers, in little 2 oz metal tins with pull of lids, because the tarts themselves will be sealed.

The vast majority of the tins will be filled with the EXACT wax and oil I am using in my tarts. I am worried, though, that a few of my tarts just don't have good cold throw. I was hoping to find a wax, for those few with lousy cold throw, that might be more representative of the true scent. Yes, like a scratch and sniff.

I know nothing of candle waxes and I know that for those who sell at craft fairs or home parties, cold throw is as important as hot throw. Since I've never had to worry about cold throw, I was just looking for some input on waxes with good gold throw so I could have testers, for those few lousy cold throw scents, that might have a better, and therefore MORE accurate, example of the scent.

I was not trying to create one thing in a tester and then give the customer a lesser quality product or different product. I only want accurate sampler of the scents. Let's face it, in retail the cold sniff is critical, again, something I never had to worry about. If I can't find a decent way to provide scent samples of some of my better scents, I simply won't sell them. With 300 scents, I'm sure I can find 80 but a few of my faves just happen to have lousy cold throw in the tart wax I use. I am NOT looking for new tart wax, love, love, love my current tart wax for hot throw.

I understand what you are trying to do. Its one of those things that probably sounds like a reasonable thing to do and could work.

But it has the risk of backfiring on you. Thats because no matter how close you get to the 'true' scent based on another wax for your samples, a customer or customers may pick up on the difference and be disappointed or even angry that you misrepresented your products. They also have every right to be and word of mouth is a powerful marketing tool, the good and the bad.

Personally I wouldn't do it. Thats just my personal opinion and I have been in the candle biz for several yrs now. But its your biz and no one can tell you what to do.

I am worried, though, that a few of my tarts just don't have good cold throw. I was hoping to find a wax, for those few with lousy cold throw, that might be more representative of the true scent.

==============

Doesn't that borderline on misrepresentation of the actual product?

No, it does not. I just want a true representation of the scent in my samples. My tarts are superb and the customers will be even HAPPIER when they melt the real thing. Do you think my goal is to have unhappy customers?????? How hard can this possibly be to understand? Thank you for worrying but I think I can handle this on my own.

I am worried, though, that a few of my tarts just don't have good cold throw. I was hoping to find a wax, for those few with lousy cold throw, that might be more representative of the true scent.

==============

Doesn't that borderline on misrepresentation of the actual product?

No, it does not. I just want a true representation of the scent in my samples. My tarts are superb and the customers will be even HAPPIER when they melt the real thing. Do you think my goal is to have unhappy customers?????? How hard can this possibly be to understand? Thank you for worrying but I think I can handle this on my own.

I think we understand what you are wanting to accomplish but a customer might see it as a bait & switch because the tester would not be the same thing they are actually buying. JMHO

Edited by Pam W

Then why did you ask here? lol.

AlwaysWondering, I think I understand what you want. When I have a similar problem on my hands (the cold throw does NO justice to the hot throw), I simply offer that tart as a sample. It invariably leads to customers coming back to say "Hey, you were right! In the bag it smells nothing like when it's melting.... - and end up buying it.

However, I would never use a different wax just because it has a better CT than the wax I actually use to make the tarts with. HTH