Butters in MP Soap...

Lorraine

If you could only choose one, which one would that be? And why?

Shea butter

Mango butter

Cocoa butter

What about "natural" or "refined" Shea?

What about "natural", "white", or "deodorized" cocoa?

What are the differences?

Would love to hear what has worked best for you in MP soap...

Much appreciated!

Thank you both so much for your replies...

I didn't word this question very well :embarasse

I guess what I was wanting to know was which of these butters do you find to be most beneficial in your MP soap...

I have been using the SFIC bases and I find them extremely drying to my skin. A little less so with the goat's milk and the shaving, so I stick to these two, but they are still drying if I don't add anything to them. I always add some canned goat's milk, some sweet almond oil, and a little olive oil and it does help quite a bit. Was wondering which butter would be most beneficial for moisturizing...

Should I (could I) use all three? Would that drastically decrease the lather?

Here is a link to my recipe thread:

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90126

There are some great recipes in them for making different kinds of M&P soap that are richly moisturizing. I find the ingredients I love the most for a super moisturizing bar of soap are shea butter, coconut oil, castor oil, and gm.

Thank you so much Candybee! :yay:

just checked some of your recipes Candybee-they sound wonderful!! i have shea base, can i use that instead of the white base (without adding extra shea butter i'm thinking)? i am only on my 7th lb. of soap, and i have only used shea.

thanks-kris

I guess you have to figure out what properties you're looking for.

You might want to play with them and find out what results you like best.

Shea butter is super popular these days and has loads of nice properties but some other butters may serve you butter....I mean better!

Found this recipe on From Nature with Loves website. It sounds really nice and I want to try it. But it says it's a Shampoo bar. What in this recipe would cause it to be a "shampoo" bar and not a regular bar? And, it has alot of "extras" for a 1 pound batch. Opinions?

1lb opaque M&P base

1t almond oil

4t shea butter

1 1/2t castor oil

1oz beeswax

1 1/2oz cocoa butter

2-3 drops orange fo/eo

2-3 drops lemon fo/eo

2-3 drops grapefruit fo/eo

colorant (optional)

Well I know lemon oil is an astringent and orange and citric oils have cleansing properties. The castor and shea will add moisturizing. Seems to me that coconut oil would be a better sub for the shea butter as the Polynesians used it for centuries in their hair to condition it.

I have customers that tell me they use my M&P soaps for shampoo. When I tried it myself it cleans really nice but leaves a residue. So I asked one of my customers about it and she said to rinse with vinegar after shampoo to get rid of any residue. I asked if the vinegar left any scent and she said no. Haven't tried it since but I believe that M&P as your shampoo with a vinegar rinse would work.

I've tried CP soap and get the same results. So I may think about trying the vinegar with that too.

Seems to me you should be able to make a soap that doesn't leave a residue. I have only found that in liquid soaps so far.

Edited by Candybee

Do you think this would be a good bar as a m&p also and not market as a shampoo? I love the ingredients and think it would make a really nice hard bar with lots of moisturizing properties as well as soften the skin. Not sure about the lather though. We're soaping tomorrow and I think I'd like to give this a shot. Thanks Candybee...always appreciate your input

Do you think this would be a good bar as a m&p also and not market as a shampoo? I love the ingredients and think it would make a really nice hard bar with lots of moisturizing properties as well as soften the skin. Not sure about the lather though. We're soaping tomorrow and I think I'd like to give this a shot. Thanks Candybee...always appreciate your input

If you think the additives will decrease the lather, you could add some liquid soap to compensate.

Thats a lot of butter and oil in that recipe for 1 lb of base. I would cut back to no more than 1/2 tsp - 1 tsp of each. You still might have lather problems but it really depends on how well your base accepts them.

If it doesn't lather you can always remelt and add more base.

I have no idea what the wax in the recipe is for other than making the bar hard. Don't think it adds any hair cleaning or conditioning properties.

Come to think of it I think I would go ahead and try the recipe as is. You can always remelt the soap and adjust the additives. Who knows the combo of additives may be what makes it work as a shampoo soap.