Just Scents - I often read they are weak. True or False?

AlwaysWondering

I could order samples but this board is always so giving with great advice and just trying to save money. I've spent a small fortune on samples lately. I use a soy paraffin blend for tarts. How are their oils?

If you found them weak in wax, how much did you use per pound? I know recommended is 1.0 to 1.5 oz per lb but I always use more.

The Soap Scent review board has mostly positive reviews about the scent strength of Just Scent oils and I have found that if scent "sticks" in CP soap after a long cure, it usually does well in wax.

Thank you.

Edited by AlwaysWondering

True.

Edited to add: I've long since thrown out my test results, but for years, I've poured at 8% in comfort blend, 9% in tarts. I can say with 99.99% certainty that that's what formula I used back when I tested many, many JS scents.

Edited by SliverOfWax

JMO but I agree with Sliver.

When they first opened I went gung-ho ordering samples. I probably have/had about 50. I tested in their 50/50 wax but mostly in Ky's Perfect Blend. Certain fragrances did well and I ordered lbs. of those. They were having a great sale on lbs. so stupidly I order 10 or 12 blindly...didn't sample first. Maybe 1 or 2 passed the hot throw test in Perfect Blend...so I put them all in cold storage to maybe someday test in tarts. Their site said excellent throw in soy so I assumed they should throw well in a soyblend...wrong.

There is only 1 of theirs that I will need to replace. Out of 3 oils I have been able to replace 2...Pumpkin Pie and Country Kitchen. I get both from The Candlemaker's Store now. The other one is Caramel Cinnamon Latte which sells well during the holidays for me. I'm sure I can find a replacement.

So...that was my experience.

Edited to add...I used 10% in both their wax and PB.

Edited by Maggie
Edited to add...I used 10% in both their wax and PB.

I've actually used several of their oils with great results in my parasoy wax. Yes, there have been some that weren't so great, but you find me a supplier who has a 100% rating of HT with their oils and I'll show you....well, something :)

The best thing to do is search JS on here and make notes of ones that people recommend as being good throwers. Don't discount them completely before you at least try some of the recommendations.

I'll even throw a few out:

Vanilla Bean Noel

Caramel Cinnamon Latte

Vanilla Buttercreme Crunch

Pink Sugar (I prefer theirs over all the others I've tried)

Pixie Dust

Cherry Slushie

Diva

If I were to name a flaw with JS it would be that many of their oils have the exact same ingredients with the exception of one thing. So, make sure you read the descriptions....there are lots of oils that smell way too similar to each other.

I have used quite a few of their oils in CP, and I do not think that they are all weak. I honestly think that their oils are hit or miss. Some are good and some are not. Honestly, I do not try anything new from them anymore. I just do not like to spend money experimenting. I stick to old favorites that work.

I have found that their oils were great when they first opened, later they got worse and customer service went down hill for me...I have since then moved on and am much happier and my sales have increased tremendously with the new oils I have been ordering...I too have thrown away way too many bottles of JS oils...save your money!!

I think they are like any other supplier hit or miss. I use many of the FO's from there and never had anything but great customer service. I agree with 2 of 7 do a search here for reviews. And I also have to agree that Caramel Cinn Latte is awesome. Here's a few others that I've had great results with.... Black Cherry, Blueberry Cheesecake, Pomegranate. There's many others those are just a few.

I use 464 and have probably tested at least 30 of their 1 ounce bottle scents in melts (pb/135) before even trying them in a candle and out of all of those I only use the following in an actual candle:

pink sugar

lilac

wild currant sandalwood

cranberry orange

They are excellent strong throwers for me and I just recently tested the butt naked and funky monkey in melts and may try them in a candle as well- they are very hit or miss- just like anywhere else...

Candle Science is the only supplier for me that 9 out 10 work great and I am now thinking of trying AH- they sound like they have some good ones!:cheesy2:

I would agree, I have more of these oils in our pantry than any others that have not been used.

BUT, the ones that we like are great so I order a few new samples each and then run across some great scents.

I will say.... I have had horrible luck with ordering larger than samples. I have three larger bottles that when I bought a sample size were great but the larger bottles are not as strong. I would say this is my imagination but I tested them against each other and unfortunately the larger bottles just were not as strong out of the bottle smell or in the wax, I even tried adding more than normal.

Hit or miss...as with any supplier. I do have to say though...that I poured 2 of her Spring Rain into 4627 with a tad of glass glow added and let me tell you...the hot throw is phenomenal....and the cold throw is out of this world as well. That was the first time I tried adding glass glow to my 4627. I read it on here somewhere and thought to try it and dang...this candle is just awesome lol. I used 8% fo load.

I use alot of her oils in soap though...and they are fine.

I searched the board for the scents people repeatedly said were good and ordered those when she had a sale. (So do your research). Then one winter I got in some of her oils, there was weird white and gray floatie stuff in them. I called and they told me it would go away, it was from the cold, and they would not take them back or refund my money. I have not ordered anything from them since. I refuse to strain my oils to get weird stuff out of the bottles. I have never had floaties from anybody else, either. Had she replaced them or offered me a refund, I might still be a customer, but she was quite unwilling and blamed it all on the weather. Not all of the bottles had it, and amazingly it was a couple in the middle of the box.

I recently went through all my inventory and still have a large amount of her scents that still have not sold. She does have good sales, but what good is it, if they are not consistant and do not stand behind their products. There are a lot of oil companies out there who do stand behind their product, and have great oils.

I tried a few and bought the Chestnuts & Brown Sugar (I think that's what it's called) that was a bit hit apparently on this board, and while it did throw in my wax, NO ONE bought it. Therefore, not a supplier for me. I tend to stick with suppliers where I can get more than one scent from them.

I ordered like 2 dozen of the sampler bottles a few years back, and honestly I just didn't seem to get that "wow" that we all get when we know we have a winner. Having said that, there a lot of candle makers that really love her stuff...maybe it has to do with the wax...idk:confused:

I tried a few and bought the Chestnuts & Brown Sugar (I think that's what it's called) that was a bit hit apparently on this board, and while it did throw in my wax, NO ONE bought it. Therefore, not a supplier for me. I tend to stick with suppliers where I can get more than one scent from them.

It was one of 3 out of a couple hundred that I tested that actually did throw for me and when I got the chance to buy cheap from someone going oob, I did. They sold well. Since then, I've heard via several people here that the C&BS formula changed, and it's no good anymore.

It was one of 3 out of a couple hundred that I tested that actually did throw for me and when I got the chance to buy cheap from someone going oob, I did. They sold well. Since then, I've heard via several people here that the C&BS formula changed, and it's no good anymore.

Ugh! I am not happy to hear this at all. I just recently got a pound of it...and I'm not even selling yet. Oh well, I am going to pour some today and test it anyway.

Seem more misses than hits based on the posts. Thanks. Yes, most suppliers have some misses but it seems JS has more misses than the average and I rarely see raves for their scent as compared to other suppliers that continually get mentioned. I think I'll stay away from ordering and will give Bert's a try as my next sampler. I read lots of raves for Bert's.