Priority Mail® Regional Rate Box

islandgirl

What are commercial base and commercial plus customers?!:confused:

I must be missing something. The rates look the same as using regular priority when printing your stamp online rather than at the PO.

Plus the regional rate boxes come with some restrictions? You can't take it to the PO or go above the weight limit.

I guess I have not got it figured out yet but I am not seeing any advantages so far.

Maybe someone can clarify cause if it does save me money for shipping my website orders I am all for it.

I shipped out a package this morning that weight 7.3 lbs.. Cost to ship priorty was $8.67. Then I saw the Regional Rate Box costing only 5.54 to ship it?

First I ever saw that? So I ordered the box to have on hand for furture shipments.

Hey..That would have been a $3.00 savings for my customer.

This is the first I have heard of it, guess you were not aware either??

If you have a Click N Ship account you are getting commercial base pricing. You have to mail large amounts to get the commercial plus pricing.

Do you currently have a Click N Ship account?

The new regional boxes are great for shipping smaller orders. With the "A" box (up to 15 lbs.) the rates start at $4.97 for zones 1&2 and go up to $9.37 for zone 8.

That is still cheaper than the medium flat rate box.

You can't take a regional box into the post office and pay the shipping fees there. But I was told (by a postal employee) that if you have a Click N Ship label already on the package, you can still drop the package off at the post office.

Hope that makes sense.

I ordered some of the regional rate boxes last week, there are some good savings involved. I have a commercial account and use the click-n-ship labels and just drop the box at the post office or hand it to the mail carrier. I see the mail carrier and the UPS lady almost everyday, so I have no problems handing off packages without having to pay for pick-up. Hope these help the USPS start to get out of their rut.

Cheers,

Steve

Okay I ordered some of the boxes to try out and see if I can save some money on orders. Says online or commercial account customers that normally use priority mail can use them. I can print postage online and still take to the PO. I prefer to take to the PO so I can watch them do the acceptance scan.

To bad the boxes aren't deep enough for a candle...

You sure should be able to get a candle in this one. It the cheaper 15lb. max one.

usps_rr_med_boxA_top.jpg Priority Mail Regional Rate Box A - Top Loading Inside Dimensions: 10” x 7” x 4 3/4” Outside Dimensions: 10 1/8” x 7 1/8” x 5” Maximum Weight: 15 lbs

I need to check these out. Make a visit to the PO. I want to put this on my site because it would help with smaller orders. I have 2 very large orders for my candles but no out of state small orders.I want small ones too.

This could bring even locals wanting to do business.I had 3 people come to my house for candles. Probably be just as cheap(and not the hassle) for customers getting them in the mail. 2 people were nearby.One was about 45 minues. If they have a option they can get the orders mailed. Those orders were at least 12 JJ candles and they probably would fit in a medium flat rate. I pack snug and lots of newspaper.No breakage.

Very happy the PO got these boxes. I was worried when the small flat rate was discontinued and they came up with that box that will not hold candles but tarts. Could'nt fit candles in the small boxes they had last year but the year before the small flat rate could hold maybe 4 candles.

This will help all of us for shipping out of state.Maybe more will come back to ordering on-line. Shipping was getting higher every year. BUT so does everything else.

LynnS

I need to check these out. Make a visit to the PO. I want to put this on my site because it would help with smaller orders. I have 2 very large orders for my candles but no out of state small orders.I want small ones too.

This could bring even locals wanting to do business.I had 3 people come to my house for candles. Probably be just as cheap(and not the hassle) for customers getting them in the mail. 2 people were nearby.One was about 45 minues. If they have a option they can get the orders mailed. Those orders were at least 12 JJ candles and they probably would fit in a medium flat rate. I pack snug and lots of newspaper.No breakage.

Very happy the PO got these boxes. I was worried when the small flat rate was discontinued and they came up with that box that will not hold candles but tarts. Could'nt fit candles in the small boxes they had last year but the year before the small flat rate could hold maybe 4 candles.

This will help all of us for shipping out of state.Maybe more will come back to ordering on-line. Shipping was getting higher every year. BUT so does everything else.

LynnS

Lynn, Your PO won't carry these boxes, you'll have to set up an online ship-n-clip account with usps, then order them. They're free. Then you'll need to print off your postage online. You'll have to check with your PO to see if you could drop off your package once you had the pre-paid postage on it, otherwise you can schedule a pickup. This link to usps explains it pretty well.

To bad the boxes aren't deep enough for a candle...

I'm able to get three 8oz jelly jar candles in the smaller one...

I LOVE these regional rate boxes!

You can print out the "zone chart" and see at a glance if it will be cheaper to send the regional box or flat rate to your customers. Love that I can save them money!

Our customers choose their shipping method, so I will have to look into that and see if Auctions, Inc allows this...will let you know.

And it appears that they do...so we will not be able to use the regional boxes. :(

Edited by bah67

Okay...so far I've shipped about 50 orders in these boxes (and I would have used them for the rest of the orders if I hadn't ran out.)

In my case, anything two pounds or over ships for the same price OR cheaper than two pounds via regular priority mail (which covers pretty much everything that I ship.) So, if two pounds was $7.15 via regular priority, it was $7.15 for the Regional Rate Box A. And, since I didn't have to buy the box I saved money. Plus, I didn't have to weigh.

Personally, I prefer the Side Loading Regional Rate Box A because it already has a tape strip on it (saves me even more money and time.)

The boxes are pretty sturdy without weighing a ton; I have several types of boxes from USPS that weight almost a pound even when they are empty.

Overall, love the boxes...love the price. You can bet I'll be using these VERY frequently.

But, it does make me ask the question: Is USPS trying to put themselves out of business....if they wouldn't have released these I would have spent MUCH more on shipping.

Just back from USPS site. I have to mail a box weighing 5# 15oz from North Carolina to Alabama. This was the breakdown (all postage Click 'n Ship printed online.)

Priority - No dimension over 12" $10.36

Large Flat Rate - 12 x 12 x 5 1/2" $14.20

Regional Rate B - 12 1/4 x 10 1/2 x 5 1/2" $8.06

The only box I had handy that would fit it all was the Large Flat Rate. It would have fit in the Regional B ... and saved me $6 ... but they don't have them at the Post Office for pick up.

Plus I'm paying postage to get a Large Flat Rate box back from the same address ... and if the weight is comperable that would have been another $6 in savings. I'd gladly pay another 70 cents for delivery confirmation and still save $5.

Needless to say I ordered both the Regional A & B boxes!

So glad someone posted this.....didn't realize it was available....I'm looking into this option too now....trying to figure out how to put it on my site....my noggin hurts :-) Just ordered some of those regional rate boxes from USPS. Will take a while for me to get it in motion, but this is an excellent feature. Thanks guys!

This has been discussed in another thread but I have to put my 2 cents in on this one as well... This by far could save all of us so much money it's not even funny! Your local Post Office WILL NOT EVER have these. It's designed for businesses to save them some money. My rep with the Post Office said it was there way of giving back to the businesses that support their business. They don't want the "average joe" walking in and saving $3 or more bucks per Priority mail shipment. They want the businesses that use the Post Office to get the reward. PLUS - you can only ship them through Click-n-ship as of right now. So it's allowing their clerks at the counter to work on other walk-ins instead of these. Not sure if Indicia, or Stamps.com allows them - but you cannot get the boxes and then go to the Post Office to pay postage. I know 100% sure that Paypal doesn't offer them as an option when shipping stuff. And they include delivery confirmation just like any other Priority Mail package that you ship through Clicknship. Also, I have gotten 9 - 8 oz jelly jars & 36 teas in the regional B - box and 5 - 8 oz jelly jars in the regional A box. BUT when you order through your account ORDER EXTRAS! You don't wanna run out of these. As I stated in the other thread about this subject - this option will very well change the shipping game for the Post Office. I have used Priority Mail the entire time I have been doing e-commerce but I was considering going the UPS. Now - I wouldn't even bother. My LOOOOOONG 2 cents - for what it's worth....

:cheesy2:

So glad someone posted this.....didn't realize it was available....I'm looking into this option too now....trying to figure out how to put it on my site....my noggin hurts :-) Just ordered some of those regional rate boxes from USPS. Will take a while for me to get it in motion, but this is an excellent feature. Thanks guys!

Do you have a USPS or Priority Mail option for shipping? I'd just use that. You can always charge the customer the adjusted total when you process the order and send a note about their 'savings' on shipping you were able to give them in the order email. Thats what I do. I've got repeat customers for doing this.

Edited by Candybee

I just tried it and the site is working. Do a mock calculation and you will see the rate.

Click on CALCULATE POSTAGE and proceed from there. Click on PACKAGE and enter the weight below. I put in three pounds with a zipcode in a state next to mine to see what would happen. The rate was almost half the amount of what I would usually pay. I am impressed. I just ordered both regional box A types since this seems to be ideal. I will give this regional thing a whirl to see how it goes.

Edited by Noodle

I'm gonna have to order some of these as well. Seems like they are a better deal on shipping!! :yay:

So I have a stupid question to ask.... I have something I need to mail and the only boxes I can find (so far) are the medium flat rate boxes. What I need to ship will fit perfectly in there, but, when you use those do you have to use the flat rate shipping or can you use parcel shipping? It makes a difference of 3.70 using parcel as opposed to the flat rate. I looked on usps and I couldn't find anything specifically saying one way or the other, but, the regional did say you have to use those boxes (which I don't have yet so that's out). Maybe I missed something there, but, thought I'd ask those of you that ship with usps on a frequent basis. Thanks!!