Can someone help me???

AprilStivers

I am very new to this site and to candle making. I have been making candles for about 3 or 4 months now and I cannot seem to get a straight forward answer from anyone on how much scent to put per pound of wax? I have used 1 oz per pound and people are telling me that there is NO SCENT!!! No scent when it burns or when it is dry. Can someone please help me?

Hi April,

Welcome to the board! You will find a lot of helpful people here. Couple of questions for you. What type of wax or wax combination do you use? What is the end product--tarts? votives? containers? pillars? Where do you get your wax from? Where do you get your fo's from?

Enough questions for now!

I don't use more than 1 oz of oil per pound of wax. If you use good quality FOs, this is all you need (soy wax may need more FO though, so I am only talking about paraffin here).

Where are you buying your fragrance oils from? What kind of wax are you using? What temp. are you adding the fragrance oil?

Hey guys...sorry for not getting back sooner. I am using EZSoy...which stupid me, i bought a 50lb box of this wax. The appearance is horrible, the scent throw is horrible, and no matter what I do, I can't make the darn things look right. I have even used a mixture of scent companies, and still come out with the same verdict. I just wish I never bought so much of this soy!

I use 1 ounce FO per lb of wax and candles smell great.Even with a cold throw.I do pour at high temps and wondered if too high as I see other pour lower temps but it works so I do it. I use soy and get the FO's from the same company and all FO's are tested with soy before selling to the public. I do use about 4 companies for FO's but get 80% from the same company I get soy wax from.It is close to me.

The only scent that did not seem strong was Warm Vanilla Sugar but the French Vanilla was out of sight.So that will be my vanilla.

LynnS

I don't think you'll hear many people complain about EZSoy (unless they are anti-Soy). It's pretty popular (and popular for a reason!). Are you curing them for a week? Also, I'd try using 1oz of FO's from Peaks, BitterCreek, Candle Cocoon, Just Scents, or the Scented Bean. They are tried and true and also loved by many. Look in the classified and you'll find samples for sale. The Scented Bean has a great sampler package as well. Try adding your FO at 170ish then stir stir stir. Cure for a week and then take a sniff.

When I first started making my soy candles they looked crappy to, but then I started reading up on soy and they say to pour it when its slushy and the tops will come out smoother and also using a heat gun, will smooth out the top. Its trial and error, you'll soon relize the 50 lbs was well worth buying, because now you can experiment different pouring temps.

I remember seeing somewhere that you can put beeswax which is natural in soy candles, it helps it look creamier and helps hold the scent.

Your just going to have to experiment with the scents, and it definitly depends where you get them, I bought an apple pie off of NG, and had to put 1.5 oz to my 1 lb of wax, because it was a faint smell but the Eucalyptus from NG I only had to put 1oz because it was really strong.

Good Luck,

Mindy :wink2: