What are these?

Candlesbykids

My name is Kevin Moody, my children started a candle making company.

Candlesbykids.net

I would like to know if anyone can help me figure out what these car scents are made of and if I can be pointed in the right direction to achieve this kind of result. They are very strong, if you put one under your seat, they will last for at least a month, maybe longer.

We are just trying to expand our product base, any information would be greatly appreciated!

photo1ck.jpg

photo2xy.jpg

photo3im.jpg

I have no idea what it is. Maybe take one to your local lumber yard or hardware to see if they can tell you what it is.

I hope you/your kids have taken the time to learn about proper wicking or you could have a fire hazard on your hands therefore leading to a lawsuit.

Hi Kevin...so this is a product soaked in a fragrance oil and then "wrapped" in the plastic looking material? The plastic is just "packaging" and then removed to be put under the seats? I've never seen anything like this before. It sure looks like pressed wood. But, I agree with the others...take it by a building supply co and see if they know.

It is left in the plastic, there are some clear ones that are sold around my area. you can clearly see that there is still a little liquid in the plastic. I only took it out to show the board what it was. I will take it by some stores to try and figure out what it is. But I will still have a problem when it comes to how to mix the fo with what ever it is.

The red square looks like felt to me, not sure.If it is thats how the fragrance is coming thru. My guess is that you lay it down on the plastic side. Are there any instructions? Some fragrance oil will melt plastic

Edited by LRcandles

The red square looks like felt to me, not sure.If it is thats how the fragrance is coming thru. My guess is that you lay it down on the plastic side. Are there any instructions? Some fragrance oil will melt plastic

No instructions. This is something that I found in a gas station near my home. Someone also sold me one at a carwash before. I was trying to figure out how they made it so I can offer them myself.

That's what I was wondering. If it's wrapped in plastic (Laura Palmer, lol), how would the scent get out and how would it keep from melting the plastic wrap?

I have no clue!!!! I was really hoping to get some help on this forum! LOL, I am completely lost now... I just want them to have so my kids can have something to offer men as well.

We go out to beauty salons to sell the candles, but I would like those so we can go to the barber shops as well...

Ok...I thought the plastic was only the packaging and then removed. But I guess the "carpet square" or whatever it is, would have to be in something to protect the surface they are put on. So, with that being said, I'm not too sure you could get a really strong scent mixing the DPG/FO and have it be strong enough to go through the plastic . If they used 100% fragrance oil, it would have to be strong enough to go through and still not "melt" it or damage it in anyway. Could you maybe take it to a hardware store and ask them if they have anything like that in stock. And if not, ask if they have damaged pcs of similar products you could get a few small samples of. Go home, cut in small squares and soak in 100% pure fo and allow to dry. Wrap in some type of plastic to see the results. I guess it's like anything we try in the soap, bath and candle business...test test test :confused: You've got us curious...Once you figure this out, will you post and let us know?

I know you like the utilitarian look of these pads (looks like carpet padding to me, too) to appeal to men in Barber Shops but there are places to buy air freshener templates and they do come in "ordinary" shapes. You use a craft paint brush, brush on straight fragrance oil, put a string/ribbon/jute through the hole. Just like those freshener trees they sell everywhere for cars so not sure how the market would be except your edge is offering different fragrances as compared to those you buy in the auto section at Target. (I'm guessing men aren't spending too much time at Yankee Candle shops as they carry these fresheners in many, many of their scents). Buy the resealable poly bags from some place like Uline as packaging.

https://www.oakcourtcreations.com/ProductCart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=47

http://www.wicks-wax-scents.com/make-air-fresheners.html

I know you like the utilitarian look of these pads (looks like carpet padding to me, too) to appeal to men in Barber Shops but there are places to buy air freshener templates and they do come in "ordinary" shapes. You use a craft paint brush, brush on straight fragrance oil, put a string/ribbon/jute through the hole. Just like those freshener trees they sell everywhere for cars so not sure how the market would be except your edge is offering different fragrances as compared to those you buy in the auto section at Target. (I'm guessing men aren't spending too much time at Yankee Candle shops as they carry these fresheners in many, many of their scents). Buy the resealable poly bags from some place like Uline as packaging.

https://www.oakcourtcreations.com/ProductCart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=47

http://www.wicks-wax-scents.com/make-air-fresheners.html

Thanks for the suggestion, I researched those links you gave me before. I guess I was stuck on the fact that the one I took pictures of are extremely strong and last for a very, very long time. I knew we could be different by offering those. But I may have to take your advice and go ahead and get the mirror hanging ones...

Ok...I thought the plastic was only the packaging and then removed. But I guess the "carpet square" or whatever it is, would have to be in something to protect the surface they are put on. So, with that being said, I'm not too sure you could get a really strong scent mixing the DPG/FO and have it be strong enough to go through the plastic . If they used 100% fragrance oil, it would have to be strong enough to go through and still not "melt" it or damage it in anyway. Could you maybe take it to a hardware store and ask them if they have anything like that in stock. And if not, ask if they have damaged pcs of similar products you could get a few small samples of. Go home, cut in small squares and soak in 100% pure fo and allow to dry. Wrap in some type of plastic to see the results. I guess it's like anything we try in the soap, bath and candle business...test test test :confused: You've got us curious...Once you figure this out, will you post and let us know?

Of course I will let you guys know! I have to give back to the system that has helped me!

My name is Kevin Moody, my children started a candle making company.

Candlesbykids.net

OK, my question here is: You allow your children to make candles?:confused:

Or they like to "help" with ideas? Your website seems to already be taking orders... is the whole 'candles by kids' thing just your form of advertising?

I just think of how dangerous candle making is, and I cannot see how you would have your children do it.... ?

Ditto for me...I also made candles when I was a Brownie (still remember those little uniforms!!). Later, I got a candle kit when I was probably about 10 or 11. I still remember those candles..in the shape of animals. I was so proud! Back then it wasn't as "high tech", but I had a blast. That's what sparked my interest and is the reason I'm where I am today.