How much would you offer?

So, I found a lady who is retiring from her candle making hobby. She is wanting to sell most of her supplies and goodies. I asked her for a detailed list of what she had and this is what she sent :

- 3 types of tealight wicks

- 6 types of votive wicks

- 9 types of pillar wicks

- 4 round 3x7" pillar molds and pins

- 1 square 4x4 pillar mold

- about 500 tealight cups

- about 75 votive molds and pins

- 10 floating molds

- warning labels

- flat cello bags

- wide variety of scents, dyes, and colours

- 2 boxes of wax (1 starburst palm, 1 feather palm + small box of flaked votive wax)

- wax melter

- temperature gauge

- wax pourer

Yes, it is pretty vague. In regards to $$$ all she said was 'I am open to offers'. So, based on this list what on earth would someone offer for this???? I have no clue...lol

Teresa

I would ask for a picture of the melter too. That is the bulk of the cost of the "package deal" so your offer should be based on the condition of that.

Just as a point of reference on that I picked up a 75 lb water jacketed melter for $125 and a 100 lb direct heat, dual zone melter for $150 about a year ago on Craigslist locally (MA). Both go for $700-1200 new so I got an amazing deal but I have seen both running for $200-250 locally on craigslist recently as well.

I agree. The info is too vague and her response when you asked for specifics sounds like she may be deliberately hiding info since the response and picture are not anywhere near definitive.

For the meltor you need specifics; is it a direct heat or water jacketed? How many yrs is it, how many lbs wax will it hold, how long to melt it, what is the general condition of the melter. Does it need replacment parts (like heating element), how much do they cost and where does she get them? Insist on a clear photo with cord, spout, also inside & out would be helpful.

How many wicks? labels? cello bags and what size?

If she doesn't want to answer move on.

Looks like she got a lot of stuff from Cajuns. Go to their web site and see if you can get a little better ball park figure. Hey, I've got a whole basement of stuff like that if you are interested. I would be careful and eyeball and inventory before making any offer. HTH.

Steve

More info is definitely needed. Approx how many wicks, how many molds, condition, etc... Also, what everyone else said about the melter applies too!

Though, I will say this, based on the photo she did send you, it does look like she took good care of her supplies which does count for something.

Well, I spoke with the lady tonight and apparently it was her daughter that put the ad up for her because she doesn't have internet. So, from what she explained was that she was going to get in the craft but her husband was unsupportive so she did it a couple of times and stopped. Her stuff has barely been used, some of it not at all.

The melter is a Presto pot that she purchased off e-bay. A 50 lb box of Starburst Palm, 10 lb EcoSoy PB and a couple of blocks of Mottled wax. About 15 bottle of liquid dye, a bunch of dye chips and approx 20 bottle of Candlewic FO's.

I did ask her if she had an amount in mind and she told me how she spent about $750 on the supplies so she would be happy with $350. So now I am not sure....Not that I want to take advantage of anyone but dont know that I want to dish out that much right now :( So I may just pick and choose some stuff.

The presto pot is like $60 on ebay with $10 shipping. I bought one. $ 65 or so for the 50 pound starburst palm including her shipping cost. $20 including shipping for the soy. Two blocks of mottled wax is about $40 including her shipping cost. 15 bottles of half ounce dye should be around $50 bucks. Dye chips can be expensive. Figure another $100 bucks. 20 bottles of FO, um, what size? If one pound which is pretty average, $18 per bottle including shipping.

So, she probably does have about $610 if she was careful and less if she made good deals. More if she didn't know where to buy. Her claim of $750 is within the ballpark of what folks might end up investing.

You can get the same with careful planning for about $550. That includes shipping. I assume she wants to charge you to ship her stuff to you (double shipping).

So, IMHO, a price for you would be $450 including shipping at the most, or $350 plus reasonable shipping at the most, if you want to buy her out.

As for picking and choosing, if I were her, it would be a package deal or nothing. She won't sell her dye chips, etc, unless she is an ebay expert.

I'd offer her less than $350, because I think you can get all that for less than that amount. Maybe I'm dreaming, but I don't think so unless she's got a couple of cases of the palm.

From her pix, the molds look like they are barely used ... however, they are used.