the acrylic spray that makes labels waterproof??

TFCbrooke

I read that "Krylon Preserve It" was the stuff to get, but I can't find it anywhere that sells every other type of Krylon :) But I did find Krylon "Crystal Clear : Acrylic Coating 1303" and have used it to spray on my labels and thus far, they have proven to be waterproof. Sorry I can't get my hands on a picture right now, the cap looks kind of lightly frosted, the canister is white with gray print and the Krylon logo is red.

Hope that helps.

I still look for the "Preserve It" everytime I'm in a store that carries Krylon, but since the other stuff I grabbed seems to work well, I will just use up the can I have and then order the Preserve It. The only issue I have come across is that once you spray it on the paper, the edges curl up a little bit. This hasn't been an issue for me, since I just cut it to size and apply it to the jar/bottle, but if you are spraying it on small labels it may be more of an issue (I print my labels on full 8.5x11 sheets and then cut to size). I think the Preserve It stuff is better because it's intended to be used on old photos and paper, so it must have something in it to keep it from curling slightly.

What did the fixative do? Did it just make it sticky? hahahaha. If that's the case, maybe you could add that too... then when a customer picks up your product, they won't be able to put it down. :)

Edited by caryfh
adding stuff.

What did the fixative do? Did it just make it sticky? hahahaha. If that's the case, maybe you could add that too... then when a customer picks up your product, they won't be able to put it down. :)

HAHAHA - well this is the fixative that goes on artwork - DH uses it when he's done with an art - especially when he uses pastels...keeps them from smearing if you use the permanent fixative (there's also a "moveable" fixative) I was using the permanent kind... Which is why I thought it might work.

but that's a good idea too - use the sticky adhesive kind then people have to buy stuff - "You stick to it, You buy it." HAHA

I use the Krylon acrylic crystal clear gloss.

Will the crystal clear gloss make a matte label glossy as well? I bought something from Hobby Lobby that was used to spray on chalk drawings to keep them from smearing & it was supposed to be a gloss but it didn't work very well at all. I didn't get a glossy look at all. :sad2:

I used to use the clear packing tape on my labels and it does take a long time, especially if you have to trim them to fit. I finally bought a Xyron 900 laminator at Michaels (used a 50% coupon) and love it. I had to buy the cartridge of dbl sided laminator paper but it has made my life so much easier. The only time I use the packing tape now is if I only need 1 or two items and even then if it's a product/scent I make often I just go ahead and do a whole sheet.

You might want to check into one. If you buy and don't like it they have a 60 day refund policy. I also use the waterproof 8 1/2 by 11 labels from Elements with the laminator. This way I'm pretty sure my labels are protected.

Hope this helps some.

Karen

I use a version of the glossy acrylic coating that I got at Wal-Mart for about $5. It does work great for keeping my labels from smearing, but it smells terrible!! I lived in a crappy apartment years ago and there was a drug lab in the complex - that is what the smell reminds me of! Luckily it doesn't linger in the labels. But while I'm pregnant my DH won't let me spray labels. He does it for me now. :)

I used to use the clear packing tape on my labels and it does take a long time, especially if you have to trim them to fit. I finally bought a Xyron 900 laminator at Michaels (used a 50% coupon) and love it. I had to buy the cartridge of dbl sided laminator paper but it has made my life so much easier. The only time I use the packing tape now is if I only need 1 or two items and even then if it's a product/scent I make often I just go ahead and do a whole sheet.

You might want to check into one. If you buy and don't like it they have a 60 day refund policy. I also use the waterproof 8 1/2 by 11 labels from Elements with the laminator. This way I'm pretty sure my labels are protected.

Hope this helps some.

Karen

So If you laminate a whole sheet of labels , do you have to cut each label by hand??

I am struggling with my 3.33 inch round labels for body scrub...I sprayed with sealer and they got oily looking and smeared horribly so I am off to find a different sealer soon. I have used packaging tape on the rectangle labels but I cant do the 3.33 inch circles that way and cover the whole label.

AHHHH!!! I take it back!! The Krylon spray I suggested... well, it makes the labels waterproof as I could hold it under the faucet and the label stayed perfect... but don't even think about rubbing your finger across it while wet! Rubs right off! Back to the drawing board for me. I'm far too impatient for the packing tape deal. Ended up resorting to that for the last batch of products I did. Perhaps that laminator is calling my name. hmmmm.

The laminator solved all my problems...I now have a full head of hair!! (No longer pulling it out in frustration) :laugh2:. I know some have used it & didn't like it but I love mine and works like a dream. The film is pricey but I look for the 40 & 50% off coupons when I need to buy more. They run the discounts practically every week.

Karen

Years ago I use to use Krylon spray, but it was such a pain and messy and felt ugly when I touched the labels. I did the tape over them, I also used onlinelabels.com.

I finally ended up biting the bullet and paying to get my labels done. I had them professionally designed and printed. It was expensive in the beginning, but with time they paid off. My sales went up and I got lots of compliments on the labels alone.

I hope you end up finding some sort of a solution, I know what a pain it can be.

AnaNavan, I'm with you on having them done for you ...i am convinced that it is the only way to ensure that the labels hold up in the shower etc. I just designed a few labels at vista print and i think they look very nice ...the did tell me they are vinyl and weatherproof so i will be ordering them this week

I also think they will look more professional and hope that sales will increase.

Now for the soap labels.

Vista Print has given me FALSE INFORMATION...I called vista print again today and they informed me that none of their product labels are waterproof...they are paper stock

oh how frustrating! I love the stuff I do get from Vista Print but their CS is less than wonderful. One order I placed I got charged $15/month for some thing I didn't intend to sign up for (apparently there was a checked box that I should have unchecked - NEVER saw that box). So the last time I ordered I watched very closely for a box. Didn't see one. Then I start receiving some gun magazine?! WTF...so I called the mag and they told me it was ordered through VistaPrint...WTF again! I called the number the mag people gave me and apparently it's a free subscription...better never get charged for that one!

anyway - back on topic now...LOL