Messy FO Pouring

OK, I know I'm not the queen of finesse, but I do have good basic motor skills. However, I cannot seem to pour fo into my measuring glass without slopping it all over the place. :mad:

If I'm pouring a larger amount, it's not as bad, but when I'm trying to just pour a little, down the sides of the bottle it goes.

Is there some type of doo-dad I can use (a tiny funnel or something)? Or have any of you found a way to solve this problem? I find so many great, creative why-didn't-I-think-of-that ideas on this forum. :smiley2:

This is the disadvantage of buying FOs in glass bottles. There are some pour spout type tops for bottles but they can be hard to find.

Most of my bottles come in plastic with the flip top spout that makes easy pouring. I recycle these so that I have some on hand when I get new bottles without them. You can easily purchase the tops from many suppliers.

I think I got the pour spout type caps for glass bottles from BW. I have a few and just keep recycling them because these are the only ones that fit on those amber glass bottles.

i have glass stirring rods, but straws work as well. just lay the rod ACROSS the opening of the bottle and pour down the length of the rod. the liquid runs down the rod and not down the side of the bottle.

swear to bob.

try it.

I'm trying to picture how you mean CareBear. I've seen that method mentioned...but can't for the life of me figure out how to hold my straw!

Like Sharon...mine drips down the dang bottle. I came up with using my work towel to hold the bottle *near the top* which does cut down on dripping down the bottle.

This isn't the best picture, but it'll do. I actually hold the rod/straw across the bottle top to pour (I kinda lay a finger over it to hold it in place - takes practice). and the end of the rod doensn't need to be all the way down into the liquid you are pouring into unless you are very concerned with splattering

http://www.robinsonschools.com/rhs/teachers/vaughn/Chem%201/lab_technq.pdf

Cool! I think I see how that works. Maybe even a little coffee stirrer would do the trick?

As far as the bottle tops, I'm showing my ignorance: which co. is BW? (I use Candle Science and KY Candle Supply mostly.)

Thanks for the ideas, as always!:)

Terri

This isn't the best picture, but it'll do. I actually hold the rod/straw across the bottle top to pour (I kinda lay a finger over it to hold it in place - takes practice). and the end of the rod doensn't need to be all the way down into the liquid you are pouring into unless you are very concerned with splattering

http://www.robinsonschools.com/rhs/teachers/vaughn/Chem%201/lab_technq.pdf

I wish I would have known this a few hours ago. I was trying to pour some FO from a 4 oz bottle that does not have the squeeze top and man I had it all over the place. And I hate wasting anything!

EUREKA! I tried this with a toothpick, and it worked! See, such a simple thing I never would've figured out. Thanks, CareBear! Everyone with this problem, give it a try. :yay: The fo's are too expensive to let them dribble all over the place, IMO.

I agree, a picture really does make a difference...

I just tried this with some FO and a straw and it worked great. Thanks Carebear for the excellent tip!! :yay:

I was pretty much like Sharon, just let it dribble down the bottle. Now I'll be able to read the labels on the smaller bottles that don't have a pour lid because the oil won't smear the print.

Catlover, was wondering if something like a toothpick would work. Wasn't sure if the wood would soak up too much of the fo. Will have to give that a try as well.

The toothpick probably wasn't the best thing to use since it would absorb some oil. I just grabbed one to try it because I didn't have anything else handy! I think I'll get some of those plastic coffee stirrers--seems like they would work well.

Thanks Carebear! You had mentioned this method before but couldn't picture it in my head. It makes sense now seeing the illustration figures.

Glad it helped - but actually I do it one handed by laying the rod across the top of the bottle and holding it in place with a crook-ed index finger. Years of lab work, yanno...