Need help with making gift baskets

gerrie

I hate when I'm aksed to do a gift basket....I can't tell them no...but I really SUCK bigtime at making them. They never look good.

I start with some packaging paper in the bottom and then shreds on top. Pretty simple so far. But what is the best way to display your items in the basket. I assume you should always put the tallest in the back and work forward with the smallest. Do you stand them straight up, or tilt them back? I have the basics, but soon as I put the next item in, it covers up 1/2 my label of the previous item and then you can't see what scent it is. Do you not care if they can't see the scent? And do you find it best to combine candles and B&B in one basket, or is it better to keep to one or the other in a basket? Should I shrink wrap, or tie it with cello and a bow? That's my other problem, can't make a bow (a big nice bow) to save my life. Any tips you can give me would be much appreciated. TIA

I think it's okay to cover a portion of the label. Sometimes you just can't help it. I put a tag on the outside of the basket that lists the contents and fragrances. I think candles and B&B are fine together. I've heard that you shouldn't mix scented candles and food though. Check out this free E-course "How to Make Beautiful Gift Baskets" at: http://www.giftbasketwholesalesupply.com/. It gives some really great tips, like how to make things stand up in a basket, what kind of things make good filler items, etc., and explains things very clearly. You get 8 emails, one per day, and then an email newsletter. I've also started getting a free subscription to "Gift Basket Review" in the mail, which is a nice magazine with great gift basket ideas. I didn't ask for it - it just started coming. I like it so much, I might actually pay to renew it when it stops coming. Oh, I still can't make a bow to save my life either. I wrap my baskets in cello, and either do a simple bow with several strands of colored raffia - which gives it a "homespun" look, or I buy them pre-made.

One thing I remember being mentioned in the course was to take a bamboo skewer and tape it to the back of a large "tippy" item, point side down. Cut it shorter, if you have to. Then you can spear the pointy end of the skewer through the shreds and into the crumpled paper. It works really well to hold the item in place. HTH.

-Margie

Hi gerrie!

Maybe I can give you a little advice. I used to be a professional gift basket designer (I guess I still am!:rolleyes2 ) and won a few awards for designing gift baskets.

Are you mixing scents within the design or will all the products be the same scent? It's not a good idea to mix scents unless they are wrapped securely so they don't "rub off" on one another. The worst thing is for someone to unwrapped a beautiful basket and smell a combo of 15 different scents! Furthermore the recipient would not be able to tell which scent belongs to which product unless they are left to "air out" seperately.

The best thing to do is to stand your products upright-this gives the design a fuller look-higher perceived value. You said it right-taller products in the back cascading down to smaller products in the front. You will want to have a few filler items-votives, loofahs, sponges, etc.

Soygirl suggested an excellent website to give you a few design techniques. They will tell you how to secure your products in the basket or container so that even if it's turned upside down, the products will not move.

Regarding a bow, you can go to your local craft store and purchase a Bowdabra. It's inexpensive, maybe $10.00-$12.00 and beleive me that thing pays for itself 20x over if you include the frustration and headaches from trying to make a bow by hand! It comes with instructions and a video to teach you how to use it.

If you need any further info, don't hesitate to pm me or post your question here.

HTH

Shani:)

Thank you soooo much Margie and Shani, what great help. I signed up for the e-class, hope I'll learn something.

I've been playing with the baskets all day. I'm not happy with them, but I'm running out of time and need to get these out by Thursday.

I am mixing scents, but they are either lotions & gels (in bottles), or candles in jars with lids. Lip Balms are sealed and body sprays are in alumninum bottles, so I should be okay as far as one scent not mixing with the other.

For now I'm going to stick with the simple bow, will practice on bigger ones after the holidays, when I have more time. Maybe I'll post a few pics of my baskets later tonight when I'm done and you can critique them :shocked2:

Thanks again for all your help.

There are bows available on the market now and all you have to do is pull a "ripcord" of sorts, and poof--you've got an instant bow. The two long strings you originally pulled draws up the ribbon into a nice bow and you tie those two strings around your basket or box.

Another option is to buy cloth or organza ribbon with wired edges. You can tie a simple bow (like tying yoru shoelaces), and thanks to the wire, you've got a nice looking bow that stays in place.

If you haven't already found this out, you should invest in some styrofoam blocks to boost your products up higher in the basket if needed. You can use glue dots, heavy duty double sided tape, or even a glue gun to secure your foam in place, then cover with crinkle paper or excelsior. You can also use the glue dots to securly stack items on top of each other to keep them from shifting.

My personal opinion is that shrink wrapped items look more professional than just a cellophane bag, but that can take practice to get it to look perfect. Another option is to wrap your basket in tulle. For a B&B product it really gives it a soft look. You can tie it off with a velvet or satin ribbon, maybe add a fancy ornament, and you've got a glamorous package.

I sell baskets that have both candles and B&B. I sell them anywhere from $10 to $50. This is a hobby to me. I have a full time job. I am an accountant. However, I have found that most of my friends and relatives want a finished product for gifts. I not only add a bow, but also other decorative things that do not need to be expensive. For fall, I bought some very inexpensive scarecrows at Wallyworld and sat them in the basket. For Christmas I sprinkle some potpourri on the crinkled paper and add some decorative item. Not expensive! I sell to realtors, judges, teachers, moms and friends in general. I include tart burners, tarts, tea lights, jar candles, bath teas, bath salts, lotions, linen sprays, soaps, body spritzes, pillars, chunk candles, candle holders, snuffers, wooden scoops, wooden soap dishes, votive holders, votives, salt scrubs, bath fizzies and many other things. I make sure that everything that is in the basket is something that I have made. I never use shrink wrap. To me, it stinks. I use the cello wrap that comes in the large rolls. I wire it after I gather it. Add a bow and something that is decorative and seasonal. Hope this helps.

Speaking of baskets here is just one of the hundreds I do

It contains A large bear in the back standing up in a white coat with fur trim, Room Spray, 3oz Votive candles with a holder, 8oz Burgundy & Hunter Green Chunk Candle. I always add some kind of floral arrangement if the basket is foe a lady. The colors for this basket were requested Hunter Green & Burgundy. An yes I make my own bows. I have over 500 different colors, types, style & size ribbon. This one sells for $75.00

post-219-139458387673_thumb.jpg

post-219-139458387677_thumb.jpg

post-219-139458387679_thumb.gif

Oh, thanks for even more help.

I have some of those pull type bows, but I was looking for a wider width for my bows, guess I will see if they carry those pull bows in the wider width.

Candleman, that is a beautiful basket, and I love the 2 colored bow. Looks like part of the flowers are inside the basket and the rest are on the outside.

After fooling around with these all night long, I have to say, it's an art to know how to put a basket together. I think it comes along with having that artistic ability, much like interior designing. Something I was born without :cry2:

Thanks again for all your help, I will keep working on it, I might actually get one I feel is good enough to post a picture of ;)

• 9 months later...

Just a bump on this topic~it's getting to be that season

and I really need to work on my basket-making skills. I'm thinking

the tulle wrapped baskets would be a nice change from cello and shrinkwrap

bags and not much more expensive. I'm wondering what color would be best to go with "generally" (and which to stay away from) that would still give some visibility to the contents.

Anyway, does anyone have any kick-arse ideas on the gift wrapping situation? Or are gift bags more popular. I sure love the pics that were posted by CandleMan~that is one classy affair! Bonne

• 2 weeks later...

For your gift basket to REALLY look professional, I think one of the most important things to keep in mind is starting with the RIGHT basket. Right size and shape for the number and size of items you are using.

I H A T E cheapo baskets. If you start with a cheap basket, you can add diamonds and it still looks cheap and FEELS cheap. Good, strong, sturdy well made baskets are a must. They are worth the investment. Even if you cover them entirely, there is a huge difference.

Ever get one you were afraid was going to break/fall apart because the items were too heavy for the basket they were in? Ever get one that was the wrong size for the items? Too small? Too Large?

My contribution: Start with a great basket!

Gift baskets are a dime a dozen now. They are everywhere and everyone is making them. It is key to make sure YOURS are better and different than everyone elses. JMHO

Here are a few other pics of gift baskets. I have found that the products should be coming "out" of the basket. I stuff the container tight, and have the products on top.

I also don't use cello bags, I think it looks cheap. It's also cheaper to buy a big roll of cello and then cut the sizes you want, and you need it.

post-634-139458410398_thumb.gif

post-634-139458410402_thumb.gif

post-634-139458410405_thumb.gif

Here is one that I did yesterday for an auction. Packed a ton of stuff in it;

2 lip balms, 2 sugar scrubs, 2 shea body creams,

1 shea body butter, 1 shea lotion bar, 6 bars of soap, 1 electric tart melter, 2 bags

of bath melts, 10 tarts, 6 votive candles, 1 pillar candle, 1 bath salt, 2 bags of

potpourri and 1 soap bowl, $150 retail value. Paid 5 bucks for the bow, LOL!

BDBasket.jpg