Over-cooked M&P?

jonsie

I dont add any fo or color until the soap is melted. I melt in 30 second bursts and when there is just a few unmelted pieces I stir until melted I dont heat more. If I add butters like shea or cocoa I add it to the unmelted soap. Hope this helps.

Sheli

• 1 month later...

Get a thermometer and pay attention when heating your base. I try to keep mine around 150-160 when blending in additives and let it cool down to 135-140 before pouring into my molds.

I have a soap meltor so I really am spoiled as it auto-melts and turns itself down automatically when the base is melted. Love, love, love my Life of the Party soap meltor.

Did you get it at Michale's? They sell life of the party stuff and with a coupon I just might get one... Also I melt all butters first before adding to soap. stir and micro a few more seconds. It really melts fast. Never have melted more than 30 sec at a time.

Edited by Sharon in KY

Get a thermometer and pay attention when heating your base. I try to keep mine around 150-160 when blending in additives and let it cool down to 135-140 before pouring into my molds.

I have a soap meltor so I really am spoiled as it auto-melts and turns itself down automatically when the base is melted. Love, love, love my Life of the Party soap meltor.

I have one also and I love it! Easy to use and very easy to clean.

Thanks!

When the M&P starts to smoke like that, any idea what is being burned off? I hadn't added any FO, just pigment.

It's moisture that's burned off, that's why the base gets gloppy and gross when it's gone. I overheated a base once and it kept sticking to my mixing spoon and wasn't a nice consistency at all. Poured it in the trash and was more careful watching the micro the next time.