The Fragrance Mushroom

I have a friend who just loves these candles - Capri Blue Volcano no.6 which sell for around $28.00 for a 24 oz candle. I found this information on their site thought it was a noval idea to mushrooming since we all trive to NOT have mushrooming from our candles!

When burning Aspen Bay Candles, wicks will develop a black "fragrance mushroom". This "fragrance mushroom" is caused by the high volume of fragrance oils which have made our "Fragrances with Wicks" so popular. A wick serves as a straw when burning, pulling the fragrance oil through the wax and releasing the fragrance into the air as it burns.

Aspen Bay Candles' "fragrance mushroom" is a constant reminder to you of our dedication to quality and your enjoyment. When a "fragrance mushroom" is formed, gently blow out the flame, let cool, trim wick to 1/8"-1/4" and relight. Without this simple attention, the "fragrance mushroom" could smoke and cause an oversized flame.

Kay

Wow. If they'd put as much thought and effort into proper wicking as they obviously did into making a wick mushroom sound like a good thing, they'd probably have a pretty awesome candle on their hands, or at least one worth shelling out $28 bucks.

Sounds like sheer laziness to me...they couldn't be bothered testing so they made it sound like you should WANT a giant black ball to form on your wicks. :rolleyes2

I found this on 3 different websites that sell Tyler candles...

"When burning Tyler candles the wicks will develop a black “fragrance mushroom” which is caused by the high volume of fragrance oils, which make the candles so popular. The wick serves as a straw when burning, pulling the oil through the wax releasing the fragrance into the air as it burns. This “fragrance mushroom" is a constant reminder of their dedication to a superior quality candle."

...sounds like they are all using the same verbage! :rolleyes2

Maybe they use so much FO that there is no wick that won't mushroom. Frankly, with the amount of stink that seems to be the recent trend, people would be better just burning whatever they like the look of, and sticking an open jar of fragrance somewhere inconspicuous. Probably healthier, too...

Well, there ya go guys! All we have to do now is stick whatever wick we want in a candle and sell the mistakes as wonders....my candles are great because there is a huge mushroom, but please don't blow it too hard or the mushroom will jump straight into your eyeball because when you burn our candles, you don't need your sight anymore! All you need now is a good smeller. It doesn't matter to me if your house burns down, or your bangs get cinged. Cause our candles are awesome! WTF! Seriously?

Well, there ya go guys! All we have to do now is stick whatever wick we want in a candle and sell the mistakes as wonders....my candles are great because there is a huge mushroom, but please don't blow it too hard or the mushroom will jump straight into your eyeball because when you burn our candles, you don't need your sight anymore! All you need now is a good smeller. It doesn't matter to me if your house burns down, or your bangs get cinged. Cause our candles are awesome! WTF! Seriously?

:laugh2::highfive::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

My guess is that both companies have probably tested more candles than most of the folks on this forum have ever made. That crusty ball gives you a wide and diffuse flame, which is sometimes useful when you are using complex natural wax blends with really high fragrance loads and tring to get a clean burn. The soot ends up on the wick, where its easily cut off and disposed of, rather than all over the glass and room.

I agree with Chatthills (sp?). Mushrooming can't always be prevented, even with proper testing, especially when using zinc cored wicks. Both those companies (Tyler and Aspen Bay...moreso Tyler) sell a crapload of candles, so they are clearly doing SOMETHING right. Could they make a better candle? Probably. But, they sell more candles in a day than I do in a couple of years, so, what do I know?

There is nothing wrong, by the way, with putting a marketing spin on something like wick mushrooming, or wet spots, or anything else that we ALL know, sometimes, can't be prevented.

My guess is that both companies have probably tested more candles than most of the folks on this forum have ever made. That crusty ball gives you a wide and diffuse flame, which is sometimes useful when you are using complex natural wax blends with really high fragrance loads and tring to get a clean burn. The soot ends up on the wick, where its easily cut off and disposed of, rather than all over the glass and room.

Where did you learn that? A mushroom is nothing more than a carbon build up at the tip of the wick due to incomplete combustion. The correct wick will not only prevent this but it will also burn the candle correctly. If you are relying on a mushroom to burn your candle correctly, you've got a lot to learn yet. It has nothing at all to do with natural waxes or high fragrance load, it's simply telling me that your wick isn't the right size or series for the wax you are using and or fragrance.

I'm also wondering about the statement "the soot ends up on the wick... rather than all over the glass and room". I've seen smoke emit from a mushroomed wick and also leave soot on the jar. Proper wicking will help to eliminate this.

Nothing wrong with marketing their 'mushrooms' as a fragrance delivery system. But that kind of marketing can backfire on them too and I am surprised it hasn't.

Well I have yet to find a way to totally prevent mushrooming, and I'm almost positive i have the right wick for my wax, I think I have tested every wick out there..lol.. but I don't know if I would have the guts to put that kind of spin on things! :tiptoe:

We are a regional manufacturer of candles, with a nationwide presence (our line is carried in close to 700 stores around the country). We are, by most standards, small, however, we take great pride in the quality of our product, and the amount of testing that goes into making our product and I can say unequivocally, that there is NO WAY to prevent mushrooming in 100% of fragrance/wax combinations. There simply isn't. We have inventory of almost every single wick, in every single size, on the market, and can make the above statement with a high level of confidence.