Can i use

Also I would use as few different types/sizes as you can. It takes a lot of testing for each size of container. Each size will need a different wick. Since you are just getting started, I suggest sticking with one size, and using something approved for candles. I also suggest straight sides over tapered sides...those cause another wicking issues as well. Good luck and have fun. Oh, and you will probably get asked to reuse a jar that has already been used as a candle before. I suggest telling them "no", it's not safe to reuse jars that have already been subjected to heat.

i heat my jars like it tells me to whats the difference from that and reusing

I did a search for you! Here's a link for you that discusses why people don't re-use containers: http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75724&highlight=reuse+Jar

Heating a jar usually won't take it up to the temprature that the glass is subjected to - espcially if you have mistakenly over-wicked.

HTH

Keep in mind that you will need to test each container to make sure its safe. If someone handed me a jar and asked me to make a candle out of it I wouldn't unless I already had tested the jar.

As far as refilling jars that would be up to you. For me personally I would not do it. How would I have any idea what the jar has been thru and if the glass has been stressed. The only time I reuse jars is for personal use only to make testors.

I wont fill anyones jars, however I would fill my own for personal use. Quality in jars isnt what it used to be. However if you think about it...how many years we use jars over and over again to can food, and they reach over 200 degrees :confused: I would just say use at your own risk.

I would never reuse a candle jar because I don't know the answers to these questions:

- was the jar rolling around the back of their car for months until they remembered to drop it off to me - clanging and hitting anything in it's way?

- did they drop the jar at any time, causing a small fracture in the jar that cannot be seen?

- did they let it power burn for 12 hours straight and not trim the wicks so they had a small fire in there for several hours?

These things can happen to any candle at any time - but, hopefully, your candle jar is sturdy enough to be able to take some "stress".

I love the glass you can get at the dollar stores also - but don't feel comfortable using them for candles that we are selling.

We only use jars that we pick up from the manufacturer and that are sold to be used for candles.

I reuse my own test jars. I did have a friend ask me if I could make a candle in a martini glass I told her no. Besides being a wick nightmare they are very thin. I wouldnt use any container that was not made for candles or at least a thick glass.

Kay

I once bought 6 ounce juice glasses from the Dollar Tree. They were made of thick glass and were perfect for my line of "Juicers" candles. The glass was flawed and broke from just a small amount of heat. I still have those glasses in my lab to this day (maybe I need to drink juice from them). Glass can be stressed by heat and eventually you have a potential fire hazard. The best policy is to tell your friends no. Trust me, you'll always spend more money trying to please everyone and won't get much in return. HTH.

it can be hard to determine what glass can hold certain temps... A lot are not designed to be used with anything hot, especially with the temps we pour at! Babyface, where in ny are you?

well based on what im reading the ans is no just stick with what i have lol

im in niagara falls, ny abot 35 mins from buffalo

Parta of my business is filing customer provided jars. I first look at the glass to see how thin it is. Ask if they've ever put a candle in it before. If they call me ?'g a jar I'll tell them to put in in the over at around 300°and see how it does. The instructions that I give before and after I pour the wax clearly states I am not liable for any broken glass for any reason....weather when wax hits it or when they burn it. They are totally liable for resulting breaking and I make no guarantees of how the candle will burn since I don't do an actual test with it. I simply do a very good guestimation on the wick but I'm 99.9% right on that.

this is a large part of my business mostly for votive wall sconces. People like the way I can fill them more than a regular votive. They usually buy a jar of mine or two and then bring those back and I know those are good for burn after burn. I have ones I've been repouring in for over 3 years now.

Reusing jars or fill customer jar is really about how much liability you want to take on. No matter what you tell them about how you are not responsible if anything goes wrong that will not hold up. The fact that you actually stated that means you had an expectation that it might not hold up and will make you liable enough to bring a law suit. In this sue happy world of ours my personal choice is not to refill jars.

It is like the Trampoline in your back yard even if you get the kids parent to sign off on it if something happens to someone on it you are still up a creek with out a paddle because your insurance will not pay out on it or even help you fight the suit. Neither will your candle liability insurance in reusing jars.

I am not saying you won't win but can you afford the fight.

I've been doing this for over 9 years and not even so much as a bad comment. If we're scared of lawsuits why would we even make a candle or soap or lotions or anything for that fact to sell...it's no different.Do you get married planning on the divorce lawyer? My lawyer stated it perfectly....anyone can sue over anything no matter what you do and no matter how perfect you are and how stupid they are.......but if you cover your bases beforehand and educate them they are less likely to.

With our other business we have it stated on the packing slips that we aren't liable for anything further than the manufacturer's warranty. And that was done by the advise of our lawyer. Nothing further we can do. Hell, it was an o ring like we sell that was at fault with the space shuttle disaster.....but if an idiot doesn't know how to install it ....disaster can happen. Who would think a 2 cent o ring could do that much distruction but everyday DH has to tell ignorant people how to install stuff back into hydraulic equipment that they just removed. And lots of times the whole reason it was leaking to begin with is they had it in backwards.

A good attorney might be able to successfully argue against any disclaimer that you are free from any liability. You can't obsolve yourself completely of liability - especially from injuries resullting in a possibly defective product. I'd never rely on any disclaimer like that as a security that I won't be sued. That's a risk I'm not willing to take.

I don't and won't refill containers. I have a nice burn mark on my kitchen table from a container I had refilled once that shattered. It was the same container I bought the candle in from the lady that refilled it. I honestly don't know why it shattered since I do resuse my containers when testing and will say, I've never had one break. I just won't assume that risk or take that chance when selling though. JMO

I am not stupid enough to think a disclaimer would absolve me from a lawsuit because any dumb fool can hire an attorney and sue.....over nothing!!!!!

I have a good relationship with people I do business with and I talk to them like they aren't bafoons. I let them know since this is a glass product anything could happen...and that applies to a new piece of glass also. If someone came in there with crap glass or they seemed too stupid I would turn them down saying the glass wouldn't hold up to the heat. BUT you can only do so much when you own your own business. It takes some common sense also.

Since this was brought up I think I will add a signature line to the paperwork with a line about customer provided glassware and customer responsibility and not mine blah blah blah and have the customer sign it when they pick up their products.

NewOrleans I was not knocking what you do I was pointing out the other side of the fence and why someone would chose not to refill jars. With out knowing all the facts people can not make an informed decision for themselves.

For her to chose to refill and something happen when she had no clue it might is bad business all the way around.

I am not afraid of law suits but I do not actively court them either. I decide for myself what my risk is and if I can live with the risk I am taking.

Pointing out a disclaimer is not a 100% safe is not thinking you are stupid but maybe this person and others do not realize that a disclaimer is not a guarantee that there will not be problems down the road.

This is all about risk assessment and making the best choice for ourselves