International Form of Payment

summerbug

I have my first international order - woohoo! But, as I normally only ship within the US I am not sure what form of payment to accept.

For those of you who have accepted these orders what do you accept. Just credit cards or other forms and if so what type? This is a several thousand dollar order so I want to protect myself from any payment issues.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I would be extremely cautious about any order from Africa, especially one for thousands of dollars. So many scams come from there and candle makers are targeted all the time.:tiptoe:

I was thinking the same thing before I even read your post

I have a standard policy for International order Paypal only and if Paypal can not be used then I do not do business with them.

I agree with the others be careful large order coming out of the blue from foreign countries are usually scams.

Sounds like a scam...I get these all the time. But if you really want to do this order you should ask for half down before starting to work on the order. You can always request an International money order or a Western Union if that country has a Western Union service at least you'll know the money is real.

I wouldnt accept paypal for intl orders. Valid c/c only with billing and shipping addresses.

Same here. If you allow Paypal and something goes wrong, you could have your PP acct frozen for a very long time. Credit cards is the only form of payment I accepted for Int'l orders and never had a problem. But I would question an order from Africa.

That was my concern with Paypal - it seems they always side with the buyer and I would be afraid the person would try a dispute and I'd be out the product and money and like you said, a frozen account!

I am aware of the scams, I've received many of those emails. But, this one is worded a little differently and being a business I cannot just make the assumption it is a scam and not even contact the person back. On the chance it's not, I don't want to miss out on a sale just because I am afraid it might be. I am cautious and that is why I thought I'd ask about the best type of international payment to accept - one that would cover my butt.

Thanks for the comments! I have not heard back on my last email sent to this person, so we'll see...maybe a scam..or maybe not. lol!

if the order is for "thousands" require that it be send western union. that's what we used to pay our companies in china.. if they ask why or seem offended.. you'll know why. I deal alot with companies overseas,,, and the real ones,,, they know all about western union

Thank you! I will suggest this form of payment.

I have had 2 scams-well I caught on before it went too far. 1st they didn't order through my website, it was in an email and vague like 30 8oz candle-any scent, 30 of something else, any scent. They wanted to pay with a cc from a different name (that one I ended up contacting the cc holder to find out their card number had been stolen here in the states)...BUT on the otherhand I have had some real orders from Italy, and Australia that were on the up and up.

So I feel if it seems too good to be true-just investigate.

Good luck!

I have been shipping internationally since 1999....Europe, Asia, Australia, South America...you name it. All were legit. But out of the 20 or so inquiries from Africa, not one turned out to be the real thing. For one thing, why would someone that far away want to place an order worth thousands of dollars for a product they have never seen, tested, or could get closer to home(unless your product is so unique, no one else has anything like it?). And as previously mentioned, if they ask you to ship to NYC or some coastal city, or say they will take care of the shipping altogether, be very careful.

For your sake, summerbug, I hope it's a real request, and hope you will update us. If it turns out to be the real thing, it will be the first time I've ever heard of an order this size from Africa that turned out. Good Luck...

Thanks for updating us, summerbug. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you but glad you didn't "lose anything" on the deal. I'm still waiting to hear about some African deal being the real thing. Beginning to wonder if it's possible.

There's a new scam coming out of Egypt. Someone supposedly selling candle wax, thousands of lbs., not small quantities, and unbelieveable prices before he adds the shipping in. Run fast if you get this one!:tiptoe: