Making a mess with FO

I'm starting to work with these big 500 mL bottles of FO (~ 16 oz size, I think) and pouring from them always makes a mess. I tried using a dropper I had gotten from the supplier but it was so small it would take forever to get the quantity I would need. Any suggestions on how to use these neatly?

Thanks,

Susan

When one is trying to pour miniscule amounts of FO, it's hard not to spill. I have a hard & fast rule when making candles: I never make less than a pound of wax; therefore I am never pouring less than 1 oz. of FO.

I do not "measure" FO - I WEIGH it.

I set the pour pot on the scale, tare, then add one ounce of FO (or more, depending on how much I am making) to the empty pot.

I never use a measuring cup or glass - it's a waste of FO and something else to clean up.

While bottles with flip top lids are easier to pour, the big 16 oz. bottles are no more difficult for me to pour from than any bottle of liquid. I pour into the center of the pour pot - not down the side, etc.

I get bottles and caps from here:

http://stores.ebay.com/CANDLECHEM-COMPANY_BOTTLES-Plastic_W0QQ_fsubZ11166453QQ

For more controlled dispensing, I keep either flip-top or yorker caps around in sizes that fit the FO bottles. Otherwise I'd have to put my finger over the opening to close in slowly on a weight, and figure that isn't the best idea.

I also keep spare 16 oz HDPE bottles around. FOs that arrive in bigger bottles or glass bottles get transferred.

Weight is a unit of measurement.

I was referring to volume (liquid) measure vs. weight. Do you not understand the difference?

Liquid measure (ie. fluid ounces, drams, teaspoons, cups, etc.) is based on volume. For accuracy in candlemaking or any number of other crafts, we do NOT use volume measure - we use weight. A pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of lead, but they occupy different volumes. In candlemakng, we use percentages of the total product weight.

Thus, I do not "measure," I weigh the FO.

I have all my Fos in the 16oz amber bottles and I spilled all the time. So I bought the large flip top caps from Peak. Takes me a little longer to get my oils out, but I don't spill/waste any now.

Thanks KF and Top! That is a great solution and just what I needed.

I do not "measure" FO - I WEIGH it.
FWIW, I do too... I thought I was being elegant by using a glass beaker and then weighing the beaker on the digital scale. But I'm getting FO all over my hands, down the side of the FO bottle, and on the scale, lol.
I never use a measuring cup or glass - it's a waste of FO and something else to clean up.
Oooh, I like that. I hate the idea of the wasted FO in my beaker.

I may try a combination of the flip top and pouring directly into the pour pot. But until I get over this habit of over-pouring, I'll probably stick with the beaker for now :embarasse

I was referring to volume (liquid) measure vs. weight. Do you not understand the difference?

I assure you Deb understands the difference. Weighing something involves taking a measurement in my book. jonsie said nothing about volume. The subject is just how to dispense FO from the bottle.

Edited by topofmurrayhill

anywho...

I hold a glass stirring rod (because I happen to have those) or a straw across the opening of the bottle and pour down that. No drips, no drops, no spills and I can pour as fast or slow as I choose.

Takes a tiny bit of practice but it's an elegant solution!

(you can practice with water)

Edited by CareBear

anywho...

I hold a glass stirring rod (because I happen to have those) or a straw across the opening of the bottle and pour down that. No drips, no drops, no spills and I can pour as fast or slow as I choose.

Takes a tiny bit of practice but it's an elegant solution!

(you can practice with water)

HUH??? Just can't get the picture of what your doing. You hold it across, then how do you pour down? Does the straw/rod separate the flow of the liquid? Do you hold it up & down or side to side???:confused:

{quote]

Whatever, Stella. I believe that with the exception of newbies, everyone here weighs their FO but may use the term "measure" in a non-scientific setting. But if it makes you feel better to correct everybody, go ahead. I just think its a little unnecessary.

• 4 months later...
HUH??? Just can't get the picture of what your doing. You hold it across, then how do you pour down? Does the straw/rod separate the flow of the liquid? Do you hold it up & down or side to side???:confused:

http://www.robinsonschools.com/rhs/teachers/vaughn/Chem%201/lab_technq.pdf

But actually I can do it one handed by laying the rod across the top of the bottle and holding it in place with a crook-ed index finger. Years of lab work, yanno...