crystal pillar palm testing

I know Meredith and linda are trying to figure this out as well so I figured I start testing and use the board. This may also force me to finish a test:laugh2:

wish I had more of a wick selction but this is all I have .

post-11200-139458464702_thumb.jpg

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no questions .... I am just trying to find the right wick for me and I am sharing my results as they happen . Thanks so much though for telling me what you use . I have not been able to wick one yet to get the results I want.

LX 30

In a 3" pillar? Wow!

I think what Laura is testing for is a wick/size that will leave a nice shell without blowing out. Correct me if I am wrong, Laura...

Laura, your test line up looks good. Will be fun to watch the progress of your testing! :yay:

Edited by Stella1952

In a 3" pillar? Wow!

I think what Laura is testing for is a wick/size that will leave a nice shell without blowing out. Correct me if I am wrong, Laura...

Laura, your test line up looks good. Will be fun to watch the progress of your testing! :yay:

Yup that's what I am trying to do. Stella I am taking photos every hour is that too much and I making mysellf nuts?

one hour

I know you can't see but CDN has started curling and well as the LX22. The LX 24 and HTP are not.

Oh the HTP and the lx 24 are spitting some soot and the LX 22 flame is the smallest

post-11200-139458464714_thumb.jpg

Edited by lrbd

The CDN is behaving exactly as it should. It is curling to self-trim. The curl side is hotter than the other side, as you can see by the off-centered burn. If this is not compensated for, the pillar will eventually burn through that side because the heat is not distributed evenly around the inside of the shell that is forming.

The HTP is holding up pretty well. I was curious what would happen with that one. I've noticed in the past that it seems to have a stronger treatment than regular CD. I wonder if it will last. As for LX, I think we were predicting that LX 22 would die and LX 24 would live. It's the same result I got with LX 20 versus LX 20 NST2. Your LX 24 just happens to be an NST2 wick.

I realized that the reason NST2 wicks hardly curl is that they hardly burn. The chemical treatment is so strong that they practically just become a conduit for fuel. If you take a piece of spooled NST2 wicking and put a match to it, it won't light up.

Edited by topofmurrayhill

The HTP is holding up pretty well. I was curious what would happen with that one.
I searched for a 105 but couldn't find one. I thought that might be better.
As for LX, I think we were predicting that LX 22 would die
I think so too.
Your LX 24 just happens to be an NST2 wick.
and if I remember correctly you know this because all LX24s are treated right? cause i didn't order it that way.
The CDN is behaving exactly as it should. It is curling to self-trim. The curl side is hotter than the other side, as you can see by the off-centered burn. If this is not compensated for, the pillar will eventually burn through that side because the heat is not distributed evenly around the inside of the shell that is forming.
I know :sad2: but I am trying to find a wick that doesn't have to be fussed with at all. I know that is more than likely impossible . I am trying not to touch any of these except to trim before the next burn. am I crazy ? Never mind Stella I know what you are thinking :laugh2::laugh2: Edited by lrbd

If you take a piece of spooled NST2 wicking and put a match to it, it won't light up.

It's funny you mention this becasue I am also secretly test my first ever chunk candles that are to ugly to post. I have a 22 and a 24 . When I first lit it I struggled to get the 24 to light

and if I remember correctly you know this because all LX24s are treated right?

It was my original impression that all the LX 24+ wicks in the USA were NST2. But then I became unsure because I saw suppliers selling them without mentioning it. Now that you have tested it, I'm getting sure again.

That is the reason it's alive. Your LX 22 and my LX 20 died a quick and brutal death in palm. The same thing would happen to the LX 24 if it wasn't NST2. Put the spools next to each other and you will see the subtle yellowish color of the 24.

Have you tried a CSN wick from Candle Science? They clam they are specifically for Palm waxes. I have used CSN 9s in several 2" crystal palm pillars and have been happy with the results.

The wick assumes a self trimming posture so twisting the wick when you wick the mold seems to help rotate that directional heat.

Steve

twisting the wick when you wick the mold seems to help rotate that directional heat.
Yeah you right, Steve, and I agree. That's one way to deal with this (and the way I choose to deal with it), but Laura knows that already...
I am trying to find a wick that doesn't have to be fussed with at all. I know that is more than likely impossible. I am trying not to touch any of these except to trim before the next burn.
AND I, for one, hope she finds just the right wick that'll do that!! If she does, I'm gonna order some to test... 'cause if there's one thing I love, it's "easy." :D
Don't you think these flames are huge. I am sitting here thinking crap

Laura, I expect those will settle down during the next burn. That looks pretty typical to me. I wouldn't even count out the poor short one yet... :D

Edited by Stella1952

Have you tried a CSN wick from Candle Science?
nope not yet but Iwas reading up on them and was thinking maybe.
Put the spools next to each other and you will see the subtle yellowish color of the 24.
Give the man a cigar.... you are right I checked.
twisting the wick when you wick the mold seems to help rotate that directional heat.

Yeah you right, Steve, and I agree. That's one way to deal with this (and the way I choose to deal with it), but Laura knows that already...

I do know that and I did it but It still leans to one side :sad2:

ok so here ya have it after 3 hours ..... what do you think will happen tomorrow ?

post-11200-139458464723_thumb.jpg

Edited by lrbd

Laura,

I know what's happening today, I'm going to open the thread about making myself nuts:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:I made another feather last night and did what I thought was everything right "NOT". No pretty crystalization like yours, JEEZ. As Stella would say "back to the lab".

Hey Laura I have some CSN 14 the CS wick guide say CSN 14 for 3-3.5" and 4" and over. I thought you said you had a 4" mold I can mail you some so you can try one in each size if you want. I am going to try one in the non-crystalizing palm I just made:laugh2::laugh2:It also says for a 2.5-3" CSN 11 don't have one, go figure.

Anyway my problem so far is not the wick so much as the crystalization. Good luck today, let me know about the wicks, PM me your address and I will mail today as I took the day off work.

Linda

I like the results so far for the HTP126 and the LX24 wicks. The burn from the LX24 looks typical to me as that is my preferred wick for crystal palm pillars. They do need trimming before each burn but don't do all the curling that self trimming wicks do. Just some of the reasons I chose these wicks for my palm pillars.

I am curious why you decided to use 8% FO rather than the recommended 6%?

BTW-- your 1st pic of the LX22 testor looked like the candle was tilted. Have you leveled the bottom for further more accurate testing or are you abandoning that candle?

I am curious why you decided to use 8% FO rather than the recommended 6%?

BTW-- your 1st pic of the LX22 testor looked like the candle was tilted. Have you leveled the bottom for further more accurate testing or are you abandoning that candle?

I used the 8% because that is what I use in my soy even though others use less. Do you think that little bit could effect things? I didn't notice the candle was tilted , I do level them off. I am at work now but will check when I get home. Maybe it was sitting on a mess that was on my tray. I lit them and them in a row for the photo and then moved them to their burning spots. I have not abandoned it yet so Thanks and I will check it out .