crystal pillar palm testing

This is the end of the 3rd burn . My CDN10 and HTP126 left some unevenness ( cause I can't think of another word I'm exhausted) The LX22 is just not doing it . The LX24 looks good but again flame height is very high ( for me) and I think the shell will start to melt soon .

post-11200-139458465202_thumb.jpg

post-11200-139458465207_thumb.jpg

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awwww, shucks. I was rootin' for the underdog!:undecided I have seen some that looked that pitiful come around and burn just fine. Sometimes a "roof" (for lack of a better term) forms, and if the wick doesn't drown out, later on the hole in the roof will enlarge and you have a happy ending and a pleasing shell. I don't know if that would have happened with your pillar and the LX22 nor if the extra %age of FO affected it, but that's one reason I never say "die" until a wick literally drowns in palm wax. My partner has gotten heavy-handed with the FO a few times and we've seen wicks struggle as a result.

BTW, GREAT photos in this thread! I especially admire the flame one showing the "poofs" - good work! :D

I'm dubious of the philosophy behind wicking like that. When the top of a wick burns off and the flame dies out, that seems like a reject. The point of wicking these candles effectively is not just finding one that can hang in there and get through the candle. If that was the best I could do I wouldn't even bother.

To see if the shell is too much of a shell you should burn it at least until half of the candle, shell acting more or less as a container will trap the heat and will melt.

So go on with the test, burn the ones you like most until the very end and see what happens!

To see if the shell is too much of a shell you should burn it at least until half of the candle, shell acting more or less as a container will trap the heat and will melt.

So go on with the test, burn the ones you like most until the very end and see what happens!

Thank you I will . Also I am making some more tonight with 1 oz pp FO and a CDN12 again .

That flame picture is cool sorry it didn't work but you are still burning the 10 and 126 right? Hope to see picks of the cdn 12 too. Laura what a great thread all except my little foo bar over the FO LOL. Sorry about that.

Linda:)

I'm dubious of the philosophy behind wicking like that. When the top of a wick burns off and the flame dies out, that seems like a reject. The point of wicking these candles effectively is not just finding one that can hang in there and get through the candle. If that was the best I could do I wouldn't even bother.

It may seem like a reject, but isn't the LX supposed to have a more erect stance than a CD, for example?

Oh my goodness gracious! Is there an epidemic of deliberate misunderstanding in the air this week? :rolleyes2 Of course the goal is not to simply find something that barely hangs in there! No one is suggesting that anyone should settle for a product that's inferior! But when one is TESTING, one tries a lot of things along the way to learn. That's what Laura is doing here; that's what you are doing in your test thread! That's how I learned a lot of things that the testing threads here are bearing out... I crash & bash my way all the way through so that I can learn what works and what doesn't (and hopefully, why!). If I ACCIDENTALLY get a nice salvageable shell along the way that I can light with an electric tealight, it will still look lovely on my candle shelf regardless if the wick test was a failure. Mama called that making lemonade from lemons. :D

While a shell may seem too thick halfway or before, the pillar wicked to leave a shell is a lot like a container in that it heats up further down. As the walls of the pillar weep (like hangup on a jar) during the last half of the candle, they tend to thin out. So if one is going for a viable shell and not one that is too fragile to handle, it'll have to be thicker at the beginning. They frequently "catch up."

It'll be interesting to see if the lower % of FO makes a difference in the CDN12's performance. I hope you make one with a lesser %age for the CDN 10, too. :)

It'll be interesting to see if the lower % of FO makes a difference in the CDN12's performance. I hope you make one with a lesser %age for the CDN 10, too.

I will I tonight .

FYI the LX24 is done broke though at 1inch down. not a blow out just too hot I guess . will post photos

From my own experience I have to agree that when burning palm the wick can vary in the way it burns for several burns. I've also found it characteristic of palm to first burn down and burrow into the candle often leaving a thin overhead crust surrounding the wick. Then it can leave a thicker shell before its even half way down. Later on it burns out more of the shell as it burns down.

I've seen a wick struggling initially only to burn like a champ for the remainding 2/3 to last half of the candle. The taller the pillar the more obvious are the consumption of the shell during the stages of the burn.

From my own experience I have to agree that when burning palm the wick can vary in the way it burns for several burns. I've also found it characteristic of palm to first burn down and burrow into the candle often leaving a thin overhead crust surrounding the wick. Then it can leave a thicker shell before its even half way down. Later on it burns out more of the shell as it burns down.

I've seen a wick struggling initially only to burn like a champ for the remainding 2/3 to last half of the candle. The taller the pillar the more obvious are the consumption of the shell during the stages of the burn.

thank you very helpful . All you thank you for all your help in my quest. I really appreciate it

5th burn today and every few seconds this happens

Looks like you're just getting "The Bounce." When you light the wick in a cylinder like the wax shell of your pillar, it likes to bounce up and down every few seconds. Usually it settles down as the melt pool widens out. So it's not usual, but if the flame is too tall it will soot while doing that, as shown in your photo. Sometimes fragrance oil can make it more likely to soot too, but in the case of your LX 24 it might just be the size of the flame.

Edited by topofmurrayhill

down to just the CDN10 and HPT126 . I know the photo is not a good one but if you look close you might be able to see the wax seeping out . that is the LX24

I can't tell for sure but that LX24 seems to be candidate for a blowout. Wax is melting very close to the side.

If you're willing, just continue on that, and see if it really breaks.

This is after the 6th test burn so a total of 18 hours . I am down to two candles. I didn't need to trim the wicks at all this time. I took the photo in the dark so you could see or get a understanding of the shell thickness . Though the HTp has thinner shell it doesn't seem too thin . I am kinda liking that wick. at the moment . you can see I have a uneven shell but remember I have done nothing to try and prevent that. The most I have done is trim the wicks before burning. Remember my goal here is to try a find a wick that needs little attention.

I made 3 candles last night all 3 inch in diam. but height are 5.5 , 3.5 and 2.5 .

I am having company this week and i wanted the tester to look nice so I didn't use a sharpie to lable them :laugh2::laugh2:

the 5.5 and the 3.5 are CDN 12 and the 2.5 is the CDN10 again.

I used 1 tablespoon of stearic and only 1 oz of FO honeysuckle .

also I tried real hard to pay attention the the curl on these and offset the a bit. not sure if it will help.

post-11200-139458465289_thumb.jpg

post-11200-139458465293_thumb.jpg

Edited by lrbd

If the wax is seeping out its definitely a blowout. Its hard to tell from the photo. The others that are burning off center is that due to the wicks curling?

Great photos by the way. Your doing a great job. Makes me want to try out some new wicks.

The others that are burning off center is that due to the wicks curling?

yup. I know you have to keep the wick centered an I know it says that on every warning label.I just would like to find one that doesn't have to be centered every hour . I feel the only way I can keep a nice even shell is to check it every 30 to 60 minutes . My goal was to find one that you could center and trim once at the end of burning . Too much to ask for maybe .
Great photos by the way. Your doing a great job

Thanks for your kind words

Edited by lrbd