crystal pillar palm testing

Just a note, I use 5% FO in palm pillars, and the candles smell great. You may give it a try, in these days any $ saved is a $ blessed LOL!

I tried less in my soy and was not happy however I will try the 5% like you said for the savings. Thanks you :cheesy2:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW-- your 1st pic of the LX22 testor looked like the candle was tilted. Have you leveled the bottom for further more accurate testing or are you abandoning that candle?

I checked . it is not tilted that I can see. maybe the angle of the photo or where I wrote on the candle in sharpie. thanks for the head up though.
Put the spools next to each other and you will see the subtle yellowish color of the 24.

I can see it

post-11200-139458464775_thumb.jpg

This is the start to one hour in of the 2nd burn.

The LX24 has the largest flam and the LX 22 has the smallest. The LX24 has spitting spurts of soot. say that 5 times fast

post-11200-13945846478_thumb.jpg

Edited by lrbd

2nd burn 2 hours. the CDN10 and the HTP126( surprised) are my favs the LX22 is gonna die and if not way too much of a shell. The LX24 is burning with a flame almost doubled to the CDN and the HTp and it is still sooting.

post-11200-139458464784_thumb.jpg

Are you trimming any of the wicks before your test burns or just lighting them up as they were from your last burn?

all have needed trimming except the LX22 and yes I am trimming . If you would like to see look at the photos from the last hour yesterday and the first hour today. I tried to make them big enough to see.

Thanks, it seems the better performing to me!

Yes that and the htp. I tried CDN 12 and CDN 14 prior to this round but I was not able to get the lovely shell I am looking for. Maybe the 10 is the answer:yay:

I agree I like the cdn10 and the htp 126. I don't have cdn 10" but I have cd 10's and htp 126. Thanks for the thread and keep those pictures coming we are all learning from this, Thanks Laura.

Remember test to the end, and post the pics. (no pressure here:laugh2::laugh2:)

Linda

WOW, I still like the cdn10 and the htp 126. What do you see as being a difference in the two if any?

Not much if anything... the CDN is slightly curled more than the HTP . They both seem to be off centered a bit. but I am leaving everything alone except prior to burning I still need to trim them. even though they measure only 1/4 of an inch I have to take off that curl right?

post-11200-139458464812_thumb.jpg

The LX 22 will just keep burning off in this type of wax.

I was wondering about the 8% myself but hadn't gotten around to asking. That is overboard for most pillar candles, if you ask me. From what I have heard and my own initial observations, palm wax has a very nice hot and cold throw. It is nothing like soy. The worst soy doesn't throw worth a damn and the best soy throws approximately equal to the worth of a damn. I don't use less than 7% most of the time. For palm pillars I would think of 5% as more of an average.

I can't say how that is affecting your testing, but it has to affect it in some way. It certainly cuts down on the realism unless you plan to keep doing that. It will change the burns and the way the wicks perform, and it will change the way the wax melts. Even if your LX 24 is too large, your description of it spitting soot every time you light it sounds suspicious.

The difference between 5% and 8% may not sound huge, but you have to understand it the right way. It means you are testing with 60% more fragrance oil than I am.

Even if your LX 24 is too large, your description of it spitting soot every time you light it sounds suspicious.

I'm not sure what you mean by suspicious.
The difference between 5% and 8% may not sound huge, but you have to understand it the right way. It means you are testing with 60% more fragrance oil than I am.

It does sound huge because if I am understanding you them you are using .8 per lb and I am using 1.28 per lb .
It certainly cuts down on the realism

gee that sucks.. should I stop then