Moral Dilema

barncat

as you all know the candle biz (as every other biz)is very competitive and everyone seems to want to copy off each other. WEll here is my delema. My largest customer wants me to create a candle for them for their catalog WHile they are telling me what they want...i realize I seen something like that before. So, i took a look at one of my compettiors sites and there was the same candle.that they were creating with me. I know that this candle maker sell to my customer as well. My thought are I'm a lot cheaper and thats why they want to go with me, or maybe they are not happy witht he other candlemaker. But I feel weird about it. I dont like doing it but a larger order like that could make me alot of $$$$. I know I should just go for it....but jsut would like your opinions

Frankly how would you like it if the shoe was on the other foot...if some came to me and ask me to make a knock off of some else's candle I would not do it...I would talk to my customer and tell him/her that I am going to create my own design.

Work with them to make a product that is a little similar; but still uniquely to your products. Tell them you do not feel it is ethical to copy someone else's work; but you can design something else for them.

Trudi

PS: next time don't look

Edited by NaturallyTru

Frankly how would you like it if the shoe was on the other foot...if some came to me and ask me to make a knock off of some else's candle I would not do it...I would talk to my customer and tell him/her that I am going to create my own design.

She didn't say they asked her to do a knock off!

"one of my compettiors sites and there was the same candle.that they were creating with me. "

Now that I reread this I'm a little confused....you were working with a competitor to create this candle????? Why would you be doing that???

If you made athletic shoes, and a customer came to you and asked you to make one for them that was an exact copy of a Nike, would you do it? If you operated out of China, perhaps. I doubt you would living here, if for no other reason than you'd probably get your pants sued off you. To steal a design that anyone knows belongs to someone else for money is unethical and not right. It is hard to come up with a specific design that can be attributed to you when there are just so many candle types such as jars, pillars,votives, tealights, etc., but when someone does it, everyone here knows the hard work that went into it to make it distintive. If you truly believe that your customer is asking you to make a duplicate of a competitor's design, you would be just as wrong to do it as your customer. What goes around, comes around, and you could be bit one way or the other in the future.

The fact that you're questioning it tells me that you know in your heart you shouldn't do it.

I would hate to turn away business, but I also would hate to be accused of ripping off my competitor. I think I would be inclined to tell the customer that you became aware that your competitor makes a candle that sounds just like she described, but that in good conscience you cannot duplicate their creation. Instead, you would be willing to create a different adaptation exclusively for them.

My hope would be, that in doing that they would have more respect and trust for you as a vendor, realizing that you aren't likely to sell them out either just to make a buck if the opportunity ever presented itself.

as you all know the candle biz (as every other biz)is very competitive and everyone seems to want to copy off each other. WEll here is my delema. My largest customer wants me to create a candle for them for their catalog WHile they are telling me what they want...i realize I seen something like that before. So, i took a look at one of my compettiors sites and there was the same candle.that they were creating with me. I know that this candle maker sell to my customer as well. My thought are I'm a lot cheaper and thats why they want to go with me, or maybe they are not happy witht he other candlemaker. But I feel weird about it. I dont like doing it but a larger order like that could make me alot of $$$$. I know I should just go for it....but jsut would like your opinions

She didn't say they asked her to do a knock off!

"one of my compettiors sites and there was the same candle.that they were creating with me. "

Now that I reread this I'm a little confused....you were working with a competitor to create this candle????? Why would you be doing that???

No my customer , who is also my compeitiors customer, asked me to do it. Its nothing really special, its just taking my candlei already make and adding a star to it.

I'm with sockmonkey but I understand that telling them your competitor already make this candle could make them ask directly to them.. But, I don't believe they aren't already aware that that type of candle already exists. They asked to you maybe because one of the reason you mentioned.

I would talk to your customer honestly.

This way they would know how you care for your products and name. It maybe not money this time, but you don't really know.

Hope you'll work it out and everyone will be satisfied.

I live by this motto "At the end of the day, I lay down with myself". Meaning that you can do anything you like, listen to anyone's advice/opinions but at the end of the day, you are accountable to yourself. Something may sound like a great idea but can make you feel like a crappy person. Is it really worth it? Your morals and actions make and define who you are. If it is really no big deal, then do it. If you feel like you are robbing or stealing from someone else, then don't. Follow your heart.

I live by this motto "At the end of the day, I lay down with myself". Meaning that you can do anything you like, listen to anyone's advice/opinions but at the end of the day, you are accountable to yourself. Something may sound like a great idea but can make you feel like a crappy person. Is it really worth it? Your morals and actions make and define who you are. If it is really no big deal, then do it. If you feel like you are robbing or stealing from someone else, then don't. Follow your heart.

So true. My feeling is that if you are already questioning doing this then why would you go ahead with it.