What's do you use to center wicks?

I use homemade jigs for centering wicks in the containers I use. One is made from styrofoam and the other is a glass ashtray whose bottom holds one of my containers perfectly. In both cases, I have a "bullseye" centered in the jig so I can just look straight through and eyeball the wick assembly into place. Goes very quickly while watching television. :)

Edited by Stella1952

I forget what they are called now, but I THINK Candlesandsupplies has them...they are little clips you put on the jars, metal, and it holds the wick in place. Those work awesome if you are looking to "test" out different wick centering tools and don't wanna spend too much money. I wanna say they are like $1 a piece or something to that effect.

I didn't realize we were talking about centering the wick on top...:embarasse for that I use bowtie wick holders. LOVE 'em!! They are very versatile, accommodating many different size containers.

I got mine today :yay::yay::yay: I love them thank you thank you thank you :yay::yay:

They are so much better than what I was using . Since I am a huge double wicker they are perfect :yay::yay:

did I say Thank YOu :laugh2::laugh2:

Laura

Drill holes in those large popsicle sticks and use a clip to secure and straighten. Cheap and lasts forever.

this is what I do too... I ordered some of the wick centering tools from Peaks and forgot I had them... kept using my Popsicle sticks for months and months after... they just work for me! My one tip is I paint one side with rubber cement and let it dry, and then when I use them the rubber cement side goes down, and prevents the stick from slipping around once its in place.

For centering from the bottom, I made a template out of cardstock that has a wick tab sized hole in it. I line the wick tab up with that. I use the big craft sticks on the top with a hole drilled in the middle of it and keep it tight with a clothespin. I'm all about thrifty (you should see me grocery shop :grin2:)

JLynne

<'(((><

I am cheap too. We use the wire coat hangers.Cut them and center just after pouring. No problems with them getting off center.

It was my husband's idea. He was trying to figure out a way to center and he came up with this. It works.

We recycled.:laugh2:

LynnS

Lynn, I must be cognitively challenged....how do you use wire coat hangers to center your wicks? :confused: I have tons I'm always taking back to the dry cleaners for them to recycle, but if I can use them for this too, great!

Those of you who use the bowtie holder, do you think it would work as well in a square-top jar? It's kind of hard to tell from the pics.

I'm doing the popsicle stick/clothespin combo now, which usually works fine, but occasionally I'm a little off!

I bought some of the ones from Bitter Creek http://cart.candlesupply.com/product.php?productid=20178&cat=288&page=2 but I don't really like them. It is too hard to get them tight without ripping them off the bottom. I might have to look into those butterfly ones though.

I did try the popsicle ones when I first started but I could not get them to remain tight either.

I bought some of the ones from Bitter Creek http://cart.candlesupply.com/product.php?productid=20178&cat=288&page=2 but I don't really like them. It is too hard to get them tight without ripping them off the bottom. I might have to look into those butterfly ones though.

I did try the popsicle ones when I first started but I could not get them to remain tight either.

I use these too, I love them. But on my wider containers I use the skinny popcicle sticks, I use a tiny hole punch to make the wholes. In these containers I usually use 3 wicks, so one stick will have 2 holes, and the other just one.

I bought my Wick Centering Tool system from the guy who made them. I got the centering tool that centers the wick at the bottom of your jar and the plastic centering tool fitments that fit the container tops. I also got the ones for pillars as well.

But I sometimes still use the metal wick holders that hold the top of the wick in place. And my jars have embossed lettering on the bottom of the jar in the center so I can wick without using a centering tool.