Glue Dots coming loose

I recently bought a box of glue dots designed for adhering wick tabs. The problem is after pouring in the wax the dot looses it hold and the wick tab moves about in the container. I always clean glass containers with Dawn dishwashing liquid followed by a vinegar and hot water rinse to ensure any oily residue is removed. Anyone else have this problem? Solution?

Yep, that's why I don't use 'em. I use Permatex High-Temp silicone gasket maker (from AutoZone). Lesser adhesives are fine for testing, but products for others need to be well-stuck.

There is much previous discussion about this and different solutions if you search. :)

walmart has the permatex in their auto dept too. it will usually dry in an hour or so. but some people let them sit for a few hours or more. but once i can lift the whole jar with the wick i think its set up enough lol

I like the red Permatex, BUT for testing, I use hot glue or stickies 'cause the Permatex is a B*TCH to remove... Haven't tried the 3M ones yet that Steve was kind enough to post a photo of in the following link... He gave a strong recommendation for these so I'm gonna give 'em a try. If they work as well as the silicone glues, I wouldn't mind leaving behind the tubes of sticky ooze and waiting several hours before being able to pour!

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87159&highlight=Permatex&page=3

Using "permatex" as a keyword & searching this forum, I found...

Another "wandering wick" discussion...

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87159

MANY different methods are discussed in that topic... The search tool is a wonderful thing. :)

The 3M mounting foam is exactly the same thing as wick stickums, just in the form of a strip instead of discs. Unlike the variable-quality stickums you get from candle suppliers, the 3M product is always reliable. The only disadvantage I can think of is if you don't like square versus round pieces.

I mentioned the 3M stuff earlier in the same thread that Stella referenced, as well as several others over the past 3 years or so. In all this time using it for testers, I've never had it come loose.

The fact that silicone is basically permanent (can only be removed by physical force) is both an advantage and a disadvantage, depending on what you're using it for. And you do have to place your wicks the day before, to give it time to harden and stop outgassing. That makes silicone a poor option for testers.

For candlemaking purposes, it doesn't matter whether you use the GE or the Permatex. The results are identical.

I don't use the permanent adhesives because I would like to give people the option to recycle their glass containers easily, either for personal use or to send to a recycling center. I can imagine someone trying to force the wick tab off the bottom and shattering the glass, cutting their hands to pieces. :shocked2:

I quit using glue dots for the same reason. Got tired of wicks coming unglued after I poured my wax.

So I got a heat gun and glue sticks and they work great. If you get a glue gun make sure you get duel temp or high temp glue sticks. I use Stanley DualMelt stick or Surebonder All Purpose Stik Glue Sticks. If you use a lower melt stick you may get the wick coming unglued.

I got my glue gun (a Stanley 40 Watt Glue Gun) and glue sticks at the local hardware store. The glue gun was about $20 and the sticks run about $5 or less.

I have never had a wick come undone with this combo and I have been using the same glue gun and sticks for 3 years now.

Plus-- you can wick your jar and pour wax into it immediately without the wait. Its not worth it to me to use something that you have to wait before you can pour wax.

Edited by Candybee

I bought the wick stick um's from BC and I have their EZ setter and the black wick holder things (can't remember what they are called!) At first when I started using the stickums they came loose, which btw is SOOOOO FRUSTRATING, now I heat up the bottom of the jar, then use the setter and the wick holder and they NEVER come off. I can pick up the wick and the jar comes with it (16oz jj)

Whether it's the heat or the other gadgets doing it, I'm not sure, I'm just happy they don't come loose anymore!

I re use my test jars, so the silicone thing just wasn't an option, you gotta chisel the stuff off!

I use the wick stickers from the Candlemaker's Store and they stick really well even when pouring at higher temps (180F).....I had used others from BC, CS and others that always came loose. I preferred not to deal with the glue if I didn't have to so I was glad to find these. Someone on the forum mentioned them working well and that they also came in sheets....makes wicking go alot faster.

I just picked up a pack of the 3M Mounting Squares which is perforated so you can have 4 squares. Anyway, I am going to give it a try. The back of the package says they are a permenant fix so removing them may be a pain if removal is possibloe at all.

The foam comes as squares or in a roll the same width as Scotch tape. One type of place where you can buy it is an office supplies store. Something like Staples, OfficeMax or anyplace that carries that sort of stuff.

It's definitely removable. I heat the bottom of the container well with a heat gun, then pry off the wick tab with a butter knife and scrape the remaining foam off the glass. High heat does loosen it, but it's stubborn enough that I'm sure it would hold fine at palm pouring temperatures.

Again, this is the same thing as wick stickums but higher performance and more consistent than what the candle suppliers sell. It will come loose when you make it do so, but I've never had it just pop off under any circumstances.

Edited by topofmurrayhill

The foam comes as squares or in a roll the same width as Scotch tape. One type of place where you can buy it is an office supplies store. Something like Staples, OfficeMax or anyplace that carries that sort of stuff.

It's definitely removable. I heat the bottom of the container well with a heat gun, then pry off the wick tab with a butter knife and scrape the remaining foam off the glass. High heat does loosen it, but it's stubborn enough that I'm sure it would hold fine at palm pouring temperatures.

Again, this is the same thing as wick stickums but higher performance and more consistent than what the candle suppliers sell. It will come loose when you make it do so, but I've never had it just pop off under any circumstances.

You got to love those heat guns. Thanks for the info. I did not know they came in rolls.

I use the wick stickers from the Candlemaker's Store and they stick really well even when pouring at higher temps (180F).....I had used others from BC, CS and others that always came loose. I preferred not to deal with the glue if I didn't have to so I was glad to find these. Someone on the forum mentioned them working well and that they also came in sheets....makes wicking go alot faster.

We wicked over 5,000 tins and tureens this fall and never had CMs wick stickers come loose. I think some folks just like to make things tougher than they are. Carole

We wicked over 5,000 tins and tureens this fall and never had CMs wick stickers come loose. I think some folks just like to make things tougher than they are. Carole

Have to agree with you on that one...I have used the ones from CM them for testing the last 6 months and done everything to them you can think of and not one has come loose, I'm going to start using them for all my candles since they have had a great track record with me.

I use rubber cement for testers and production. Perhaps a bit hard to apply compared to the others, but sets up in minutes and I've never had a wick "wander" at the end of a burn. Comes off extremely easily when you want to re-use the tester jars, is the best part.

Main problem is that even if you apply it to both surfaces, wait, then stick (strongest bond possible), it is still not that strong a bond. Need to use something at the top to hold the wick or the tab could move right after the pour. There are stronger contact cements (like "goo") but rubber cement was what I had on hand.

I use rubber cement for testers and production
I don't think I'd use a volatile, hydrocarbon-based adhesive like rubber or contact cement! While both are good adhesives, I sure wouldn't use them in an application having to do with fire! :shocked2:
Need to use something at the top to hold the wick or the tab could move right after the pour

I like bowties to hold the wick straight, taut & centered, but the adhesive has to be firmly set, otherwise it will loosen.

Edited by Stella1952