Clamshell Melt packaging question for stores

Holly

I am going to start adding our breakaway melts for our consignment accounts, but I worry that people will open them and sniff them so much that they will start to look ratty after awhile. I notice that they can start cracking in the corners and tiny little shedding flakes can stick to the to the plastic if they are opened carelessly and often. I have a very critical eye.

I don't really see a way to seal it other than shrink wrapping but that would not be very attractive. What do you all do that offer these for your consignment accounts since it is your money sitting there and not paid up front? I thought I could offer a sample wax melts for sniffers in the souffle cups beside the display for each scent but what a pain in the butt. I just know that people will still open them.

Thanks for any advise on this. :)

Edited by Holly

I think the souffle (sp?) cups with samplers will help. What if you put a note up asking them to not open the clamshells or something to the effect of get a salesclerk if you need helping opening a clamshell.

Or with your basket of souffle cups ... Put something like We don't blame you for wanting to sniff each and every one, so please take advantage of sniffing these and please don't open the clamshells?

I know I have had many people after opening the clamshell, slamming it down on the counter, and they do start looking ratty after some have looked at it.

Edited by Luvcandletarts2

I don't know if it is just palm wax or if all waxes do this, but I have noticed that the clamshells are cracking on the top from the continuous opening and closing. I have mine in wicker baskets, so I am going to need to do samples so they can smell the scent without damaging my clamshells.

Twoscents had a good idea...make ornies to hang out for people to sniff.

And then on top of doing that, maybe some tape (not necessarily tape...but like those tab things that you might see on clamshells in stores or other items that stores don't want opened)...anyway, the tape things on the sides of it that have to be broken/cut to open the clamshell. That might deter (sp?) people from opening them.

Not sure what you can do about consignment ... in my shop I have candles for them to smell the scents.

You need scratch and sniff !

What if you used air freshener blanks labeled with the scents?

Thanks for your response. :) I would have some candles that are the same scents but there are some scents that do not come in the wicked candles. I know how people can be....they won't always think to look for the scent in the candle and pick it up to sniff the scent. They will open up the clamshell if it can be opened. If I was not a candle maker, I would not really know or think that it can mess up the clamshell, so I can understand them doing it.

I will be creating some air freshener blanks for fundraiser samples, so that would be a good idea.

I also have my darn tags and gold elastic bows on my candles that I have to deal with. People are ruff on them. They do fine for online orders and candle party orders but they are not good for store shelves. I think I am going to have to go to labels which I really did not want to do, but it drives me nuts to see the tags bent and ties messed up. *shudder*

What about those plastic sleeves that you can put on things? They don't cover the whole clamshell but would go around the middle thus making it impossible for people to open them without actually breaking the band.

I was just thinking about this the other day. Great idea! I know that some companies have there logo imprinted on card stock wrap as well. I would not want to do this since I have everything on the label. I would want the plastic sleave. Where do you get these? I did a search and could not find anything. I was unsure what to call them. This would be the best thing to do. I bet even if I have samples they will still open them if I did not have something to seal it....it is just human nature. Thanks for the idea. :)

I punch a hole on the lid of the container so people can smell the scent. I make soy melts and people are always breaking the melts. I hate it. Kids are the worst at opening them.

I know, doesn't it just drive you nuts! I cringe. Are they the clamshell molds that you are talking about? Do they still open them up? The only thing is, I worry that it may not keep the melt as fresh - sealed. These little details in the business can be a pain in the butt. Thanks for the creative idea!

Twoscents had a good idea...make ornies to hang out for people to sniff.

And then on top of doing that, maybe some tape (not necessarily tape...but like those tab things that you might see on clamshells in stores or other items that stores don't want opened)...anyway, the tape things on the sides of it that have to be broken/cut to open the clamshell. That might deter (sp?) people from opening them.

Hi, Thanks for the response. I have thought of this but was unsure how to do this with the Clamshells since I have the label on the front. There would only be a very tiny edge to put the tape on without putting it in the label. I looked at them again and I am trying see how I can use a tape type product to seal it off. It is the way the clamshell plastic molds are shape that make this difficult. I looked at the site that was posted on my newer thread and the smallest circle tape sealer is 3/4 inch which would still be too big. If I can find something small enough I may be able to wedge in on the sides. Having to cut them would be way too time consuming. I am going to keep looking to see if there is something the right size if I use this kind of seal. Thanks again! :)

P.S. I was just thinking, I may be able to use a narrow tape to tape the sides up -- not the circle adhesive tape but just a narrow tape that can be easily cut like you would if you were wrapping up a box. Not a real long but just enough to keep it from opening. I will give it a try and side how it looks.

I would just use the circles

Thanks for the advise. I will see if I can find smaller circles. I just tried a piece of tape and it will be a pain in the butt to tuck anything kind of tape on the sides. The edge is just not wide enough so you have to wedge it in and then somehow smooth it along underneath. I hope that makes sense. I will try one of my 3/4 inch white circles to see what if it would be too big.

Ok, I just tried my last white 3/4 inch label. I think I can get it to work fine. Of course the white looks bad, but I think it will look fine with the clear.

Thanks everyone for helping me think through this. I am also going to try the shrink bands from MMS also, for the heck of it, and see which I end up liking better.

Thanks again.

Holly if you email ULine and ask you might be able to get a sample of the clear labels before you buy them.

Also I found some 1/2" at Associated Bag and they also do samples.

http://www.associatedbag.com/product.asp?cn=ABC&c1=LAB&p1=LAB%5FL552&c2=JC01&pid=170%2D4%2D03C&Type=

Thanks so much Jen. I was just about ready to search for the smaller ones....working on some orders at the same time. That helps a lot. Those may work fine and they are not real expensive. Thanks again. I will eventually get these darn clamshells in the stores. I have been too busy to look into these little details lately. I am almost done though with this season's work, thank goodness. I am tired and just want to enjoy Christmas!

Edited by Holly